Dawning
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Funeral Doom 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Funeral Doom

baphomet wrote:
bipolar troubles and manic depression is the exact same thing.

you are correct! :D

Sun May 15, 2016 11:38 am
Forum User

There is also a doom rule that says if you get stuck in a lift with a manic depressive, make sure they are on their depressive cycle.

There's only so much enthusiasm a doomster can take

Sun May 15, 2016 4:23 pm
Forum User

Recently I got the “Ordeal”-record of Skepticism. Although it was not my first touch with Funeral Doom, as a Live-DVD was contained and as I remembered this thread I thought there were some words to say…
I do not share the thought that it is about love. Surely Funeral Doom can be about love, but in fact it is all about loss in whatever shape. Many people experience this loss within the themes of love, but it can be something else, too.
That within the 5 steps it often starts with depression may simply be this way because music dealing with the other steps is often put into other genres. Anger or acceptance are just no doomy themes.
It is obviously not meant this way, but Funeral Doom (as every other doomy style) sounds like radiant sunlight to me. I know I should think of frozen graveyards and dark forests, but instead of that a glowing ocean rushes against rocks of golden darkness. Sorry for all my misunderstanding.
About depression… I do not know if I already qualify as an expert, but I think everybody deals differently with it. For some the process of creation may be helpful, others may not want it. People are very different, also in dealing with their problems.

p. s.: One time I thought “The perfect music to be played Corona-conformally”. Very self-centered and silent. Many other styles are explicitly not made for an audience in distance, but there…Sitting quietly in the twilight, the next ones far away in the dark, nobody speaks and disturbs the atmosphere…not everything is just bad now.
And, by the way, a much bigger and especially higher room would also be pretty suitable. Silly, but art is everything!

I hope no one feels offended now, but that is what I thought.

owlonfire on deviantart.com

Mon May 03, 2021 1:29 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

And what do you think of Ordeal, in the end?

Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 pm
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
And what do you think of Ordeal, in the end?

The sound of the music is monumental. I love that! The sounds of the audience are strange, but somehow interesting, as the whole idea of a live gig instead of a recording session is interesting.
I have the good feeling of exploring something new (5 years old = “new”, haha) and beautiful.

Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

As for me, I really would like to hear it with a regular studio sound, and without the very annoying reactions of the audience that denature the music, imo.

Tue May 04, 2021 11:29 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
As for me, I really would like to hear it with a regular studio sound, and without the very annoying reactions of the audience that denature the music, imo.

Yes, but I think it could be worse – the audience behaves rather “cultivated”, maybe due to the fact that it´s no party music. Most similar releases are regularly recorded, and I don´t know what a live session means to a musician, so perhaps it had to be this way. And, by the way: As a complete Non-musician I was astonished to see that the drummer uses such big drumsticks which obviously cause that monumental sound. 

Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am
Forum User

Is it possible to mourn the loss of someone or something if you didn't feel a certain amount of love for them first?

Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 am
Forum User

Funeral doom always was my favourite doom subgenre. As mentioned in earlier posts, I’ve been away from doom and in fact all metal genres for a very long time (nearly 20 years). Been playing a variety again digitally - a way I never thought I’d experiment with. While I never thought of disembowelment as funeral doom back in the day, retrospectively you could obviously lump them in with the other bands more well known as purveyors. And of course disembowelment were there in the beginning. Never will I forget first hearing them on the radio (community radio station…) and then being stoked when I found the full length in my local store.

Point of this post is I discovered Inverloch this week. Good, but no disembowelment.

Funeral doom was always the purest form of doom in my opinion. Esoteric a favourite, but once again, no one was calling them funeral doom back in the day. I won’t argue semantics, for all intents and purposes it is in sound and sentiment.

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:23 am
Forum User

It took me a decade to get over the death of my parents. I discovered for myself that dealing with loss was a process, and I came to know those 5 stages of loss and grief very well, and Funeral Doom played a big part in getting me through it. It's a bit like when you hear people say it helps when you talk about it. Funeral Doom has that conversation in your head where it talks to you at a subconscious level and you talk back to it; and it does it throughout all stages, including anger at the people who had gone and died on you; how dare they do that. If you were to put on Death Metal or Hardcore, it would be like getting drunk and going out looking for a fight in the hope of getting beaten up. Funeral Doom, but more so Extreme Deathdoom, doesn't handle anger like that, it turns anger into regret, and brings it back to love.

I'm trying to think of someone whose death has caused me to feel loss, that I didn't love, and I can't think of anyone. I got on well with my brother but I didn't love him, and I didn't feel loss when he died. I knew a lovely old lady many years ago that I became fold of. She grieved so hard, and felt such loss over the death of her dog, that she grieved herself to death a couple of months later. I don't believe anyone can really understand the profound impact of Funeral Doom unless they've experienced loss. They can always imagine what it must feel like, but it's not the same. Many regard Funeral Doom simply as a slower and heavier form of Extreme Deathdoom, in essence, as just another genre of music, which is fine, but I believe they will be in for a revelation when someone they love dies and they hear Funeral Doom again. When Funeral Doom eventually sounds llike radiant sunlight, it has done its job and the blood runs clear again.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:10 am
Forum User

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:40 am
Forum User

I think I should tell some things to not be misunderstood:
Actually I do not know much about the loss of another person (family, friends, lovers…), but I do know depressingly much about loss concerning yourself. Such things are no process because this is not something that happens once and then it is over and you then have to deal with the memory but you have to deal with it every day and it will never become a memory. When Funeral Doom sounds like radiant sunlight it has done its job and still does it every day, because the only exit from this neverending vicious circle of personal doom is to love it.

p. s.: I already listened to Doom before that so I know both sides.

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:48 am
Forum User

I can't image how that feels or how anybody could cope with that on a continuous basis, other than as you say, by embracing pain as your friend. This is something ironman competitors, boxers and married men have to do, and what I had to learn at school at the tender age of 12 from compulsory cross country runs in the winter; I’m still scared by the experience.

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2