Thermal Mass
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Vin de Mia Trix - "Palimpsests" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Vin de Mia Trix - "Palimpsests"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3138.

Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Vin de Mia Trix - "Palimpsests"

really good album... only 9/10 for me, because of the occasional power metal vocals... :D

Wed May 31, 2017 11:53 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

:D

Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

joking apart, it's a monster of an album... complex and very well executed... can't find any faults, apart, apart from... :p

Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 pm
Forum User

Merchant of Doom wrote:
really good album... only 9/10 for me, because of the occasional power metal vocals... :D

Haha, fair enough! Can you pinpoint which instances of my attempts at high-pitched wailing actually do qualify as power metal? :D

Thanks a lot, though, it really is rewarding to know that we managed to pull this off and make 90+ minutes of music that actually sound interesting, instead of boring people to death. And thanks to Mike for once again demonstrating his godlike reviewing skills!

Wed May 31, 2017 2:47 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ur-Quan wrote:
Can you pinpoint which instances of my attempts at high-pitched wailing actually do qualify as power metal? :D

Do you really want me to wade through your 98 minutes looking for the power metal vocals? :D They are not really power metal, I'm talking about the slightly higher clean ones, yes... I'm not saying they are bad... just not my cup of tea! :p ok, I'll re-listen and I'll tell you... :)

Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm
Forum User

Merchant of Doom wrote:
Ur-Quan wrote:
Can you pinpoint which instances of my attempts at high-pitched wailing actually do qualify as power metal? :D

Do you really want me to wade through your 98 minutes looking for the power metal vocals? :D They are not really power metal, I'm talking about the slightly higher clean ones, yes... I'm not saying they are bad... just not my cup of tea! :p ok, I'll re-listen and I'll tell you... :)

Yeah, you got me there - I'll do and say anything to force people to re-listen! :)

I'm totally OK with anyone not digging the clean vocals; it was just surprising to see them compared to power metal. Anyway, the important thing is that you like the rest of the stuff, and I'm very pleased with that!

Wed May 31, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ur-Quan wrote:
And thanks to Mike for once again demonstrating his godlike reviewing skills!

You're too kind! :blush:

Ur-Quan wrote:
Haha, fair enough! Can you pinpoint which instances of my attempts at high-pitched wailing actually do qualify as power metal? :D

I didn't hear any power metal, personally, though I was initially tempted to include a Saviour Machine namecheck for the epic/theatrical cleans at the very end of Matarisvan and the part about 8 minutes into Pharmakos. But it seemed like it would be stretching the point, as there isn't that much of that particular style, and the rest of the cleans didn't come across as particularly Metal-based at all.

Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm
Forum User

It's definitely a very impressive album for sure! And that's coming from someone that does not really like his doom to be too diverse=))

The review is also great, and very true in its assessment that the album is not for everybody. There were parts that were not my cup of tea, but they were outweighed by the good for sure=)

As for the clean vocals - I like the more somber parts a lot!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
I didn't hear any power metal, personally, though I was initially tempted to include a Saviour Machine namecheck for the epic/theatrical cleans at the very end of Matarisvan and the part about 8 minutes into Pharmakos. But it seemed like it would be stretching the point, as there isn't that much of that particular style, and the rest of the cleans didn't come across as particularly Metal-based at all.

Well, this is probably explains a bit better what I meant... "epic/theatrical cleans"... I hope I haven't offended our friend... :)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am
Forum User

Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

Well, this is probably explains a bit better what I meant... "epic/theatrical cleans"... I hope I haven't offended our friend... :)

Nah, I'm fine :) Besides, I don't really think 'power metal' is an insult - there's a lot of crappy bands in that genre, just like in any other, but there's also Blind Guardian who are one of my first favorite bands and inspirations. Certainly wouldn't mind being able to sound like Hansi...

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:12 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ur-Quan wrote:
Nah, I'm fine :) Besides, I don't really think 'power metal' is an insult - there's a lot of crappy bands in that genre, just like in any other, but there's also Blind Guardian who are one of my first favorite bands and inspirations. Certainly wouldn't mind being able to sound like Hansi...

:D yes, I've been put off by the multitude of crappy bands in the genre... Blind Guardian are great... I can even put up with the power metal vocals... :p

Listening to the album again... I'm amazed by the variety and the different styles, all blended incredibly well together...

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:37 am
Forum User

Just ordered the cd after reading the review. Only heard it once but I can already tell it will land pretty high on my year-end list.

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]