sidetrackwalker-taos
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Self Hypnosis - Contagion Of Despair 
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Self Hypnosis - Contagion Of Despair

UPDATE! Preorders now live: https://svartrecords.com/product/self-hypnosis-contagion-album/

Well, well, I've been sitting on this one for some time now. Album was finished well over a year ago. Self Hypnosis is my new band, featuring me, Greg Chandler (Esoteric) and Tom Vallely (Lychgate).

Today, Svart Records announced that our debut, 'Contagion of Despair' will be released on August 21st, and premiered this lyric video:

Quote:
"Surprisingly, ‘Contagion’ is not a response to the current COVID-19 crisis, having been written in mid 2018, but rather a case of observation that has become accidental prescience. The song serves as an introduction to the themes found throughout ‘Contagion of Despair’, a hate letter to the ever increasing tendency for the media to no longer be a source of information, choosing profiteering over accuracy with ever more sensationalist stories coming from all angles at all times. Ironically, as a real contagion spreads throughout the world, once again the press ensure at all times that they create an atmosphere of fear and misery. The album as a whole examines various aspects of the constant war on happiness, divisive tactics and general narrative of despair that is now endemic in our society. Who benefits from this situation? Who thrives on human misery?"

https://www.contagionofdespair.com/
https://selfhypnosisband.com/
https://www.facebook.com/selfhypnosisband/

The press release:
Though Self Hypnosis are a new band, aficionados of the British Extreme Doom scene should need little introduction to the band members themselves. The project has its roots in Kris Clayton's long-standing, often-solo, Camel Of Doom outfit, which itself evolved from basic Stoner beginnings towards a much more avant-garde proposal, culminating with the release of fourth full-length album Terrestrial through renowned Russian label Solitude Productions in 2016. Following that, Kris began work on composing the next Camel Of Doom album, but quickly realised that the material was becoming even more experimental and eclectic than previous outings: so much so that it would be more appropriate to record it under a different name, making it clear that there should be no preconception, or historical expectation, attached to it.

Needing a partner to bring the concept to fruition, Kris approached Greg Chandler, whose long-established reputation for recording and production engineering - and, of course, musicianship, co-founder of legendary UK extreme Doom pioneers Esoteric, as well - really does need no elaboration. Greg's name has appeared as a guest vocalist, guitarist and sometime keyboard player on many a release over the years, but this was intended to be a fully collaborative association from the outset, as well as a reuniting of old accomplices - Kris was one of the guitarists in Esoteric's line-up from 2007-2009, rejoining in August 2019.

Completing the line-up for the recording sessions was drummer Tom Vallely, though as a guest/session performer rather than as a full band member. As a professional musician, veteran performer with bands such as Sanctus Nex and Lychgate, and having handled the drums on Terrestrial, Tom was already known to both Kris and Greg and the obvious choice to engage for this project as 'lead drummer'.

The result of their combined endeavours is the full-length album Contagion Of Despair, which was recorded at Greg's Priory Studios using a variety of innovative techniques, including wiring up the whole building to create spacious, expansive recording spaces, or digitising live drums to drag an '80s Hip-Hop sub-bass groove into the mix. Self Hypnosis set out to use all of these techniques, and more, to create a completely unique mix of Doom and non-Doom influences that would nonetheless converge towards a genuinely Prog-Doom result, and with Contagion Of Despair, they've managed that to perfection. Including everything from Kris and Greg's anti-system and alternative roots through to more contemporary experimental/noise influences, the album touches base with a myriad different musical themes.

Tue May 05, 2020 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Post Re: Self Hypnosis - Contagion Of Despair

Well this is pretty fantastic.

Even though it is way too progressive and dynamic for my liking, the sound is so gripping and the guitar effects so stunning at times that you cannot resist. The shouted vocals are not my cup of tea at all, though I guess they fit the music.

Great work!

Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I knew it wasn't really the kind of thing you are usually into, so didn't expect you to like it! Glad you did find something to latch onto.

Wed May 06, 2020 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Sounds like a shouty Esoteric to me... only joking! :D

Wed May 06, 2020 1:31 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Jokes apart, Kris... I listened to the whole album... I know it doesn't really matter, but how would you describe the music? I don't think Prog-Doom really cuts it?

Wed May 06, 2020 3:11 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Hard to categorise, the range of influences is quite wide. It has prog and doom but also industrial, post rock and stuff like Prodigy and old-school hip-hop(!). And psychedelia throughout as standard. Call it what you want haha.

Wed May 06, 2020 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
Call it what you want haha.

Esoteric psycho camel doomish prog? :p

Wed May 06, 2020 3:34 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I did a near 2 hour interview with Mike a while back about this, so when he has finished editing it you may have more insight hehe.

Wed May 06, 2020 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
I did a near 2 hour interview with Mike a while back about this, so when he has finished editing it you may have more insight hehe.

Lol... only pulling your leg... yes, it's difficult to pigeonhole and it doesn't really matter... I enjoyed it overall. I would have preferred more grunts over the "shouted vocals", but this is matter of taste... :)

Wed May 06, 2020 3:52 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
Hard to categorise, the range of influences is quite wide. It has prog and doom but also industrial, post rock and stuff like Prodigy and old-school hip-hop(!). And psychedelia throughout as standard. Call it what you want haha.

I listened to it. Some of it, I like very much some of it... er.. not really touched me. Thee're places where it's hard to follow you! Like Leeches, which has a strong Mr Bungle-like psycho feel to it - with a touch of Primus too? ... Till the song relaxed and suddenly I'm getting good vibes out of it.
The whole is very contrasted to say the least.

Overall, I'd call it "listen to it to make up your own mind". :D

Wed May 06, 2020 4:35 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Overall, I'd call it "listen to it to make up your own mind". :D

Good punchline for a review :D

I would probably go with Prog Doom/Stoner Doom as far as our bandlist categories are concerned - those are what come through as the consistently strongest components. To my mind, Prog pretty much is adapting atypical non-genre elements to fit into a rock/metal framework. Obviously it was riffing mainly on classical and partly on jazz, if you want to be purist about the original definition, but it has had 50+ years to move on and draw in other stuff, so I'd say it does cover most of the other input.
That said, it would need rather more unpacking to properly explain it in a write-up!

Wed May 06, 2020 11:16 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

If it starts fights about what genre it is, then I have succeeded in my aims :D

Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Preorders now available: https://svartrecords.com/product/self-hypnosis-contagion-album/

Thu May 14, 2020 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Second preview track which Bapho doesn't rate but I like the riffs :rolling:

Perhaps the only thing sicker than those who perpetuate the Contagion of Despair through media are those bloodsuckers who profit from it with their sensationalism and lies. Not only that, but they stick their fangs into all human knowledge and artistic creation, despite the fact they themselves possess no skills that advance the human race or enlighten it with their creativity.
Bill Hicks said it better than I ever could.

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Doom-Metal.com is vastly against consensus with seeing more Stoner Doom than Industrial - every review so far says Industrial several times and Stoner barely mentioned. And it was certainly the intention.

Album is OUT NOW by the way!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 am
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
Doom-Metal.com is vastly against consensus with seeing more Stoner Doom than Industrial - every review so far says Industrial several times and Stoner barely mentioned. And it was certainly the intention.

Album is OUT NOW by the way!

Well, mysteriously, that now seems to have changed...though the description text doesn't quite seem to have changed to match the genre tags...
:oddity:

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

How can this have happened? Site is haunted.
:homer:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yep, my first thought was it's probably a Doom poltergeist.

But I did perhaps then go on to suspect it may have had a more Terrestrial :;): origin...!

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:40 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Necrobump to say that we'll be a live band when anybody is a live band again. It was always something we intended but it's taken a little time to work out the fine details. But Greg, Tom and I have started rehearsing together as a full band now. We'll be adding a bass player in the next little while before our debut performance, wherever and whenever that may be.

Tue May 04, 2021 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]