Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:55 am



Reply to topic  [ 9594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478 ... 480  Next
To what listenest thou? 
Author Message
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

maladie wrote:
As far as I recall there's 3 singers on that album


Can't find much info... ok, I can't be bothered... :p there's definitely a gal and one man with a very shrieky voice, which I hate (the voice, not the man... he's done nothing to me apart from torturing my ears... :D )

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 7:33 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 am
Posts: 1541
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

First single from the new Helllight album, once again nothing groundbreaking, but perfect execution so I'm excited for the album




New Amenra, personally I stopped following the band after their second or third Mass, but this new song seems kind of pleasant:



Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Merchant of Doom wrote:
maladie wrote:
As far as I recall there's 3 singers on that album


Can't find much info... ok, I can't be bothered... :p there's definitely a gal and one man with a very shrieky voice, which I hate (the voice, not the man... he's done nothing to me apart from torturing my ears... :D )


As it happens, I own the album. the credits are very vague about who does what.

Two female singers are explicitly mentioned: One Ana Carolina Ojeda and one Anna Murphy.

The male singer is the same as always. He has a nasal tone of voice which is also Manes' trademark. He's been singing since their Black Metal era which is by the way a totally outstanding first incarnation; the music they produced was as cold and grim as it was psychedelic and bizarre. Worth checking it out.


_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

baphomet wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:
maladie wrote:
As far as I recall there's 3 singers on that album


Can't find much info... ok, I can't be bothered... :p there's definitely a gal and one man with a very shrieky voice, which I hate (the voice, not the man... he's done nothing to me apart from torturing my ears... :D )


As it happens, I own the album. the credits are very vague about who does what.

Two female singers are explicitly mentioned: One Ana Carolina Ojeda and one Anna Murphy.

The male singer is the same as always. He has a nasal tone of voice which is also Manes' trademark. He's been singing since their Black Metal era which is by the way a totally outstanding first incarnation; the music they produced was as cold and grim as it was psychedelic and bizarre. Worth checking it out.



Cheers! I'm going through their discography... :p

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

klamerin wrote:
First single from the new Helllight album, once again nothing groundbreaking, but perfect execution so I'm excited for the album




New Amenra, personally I stopped following the band after their second or third Mass, but this new song seems kind of pleasant:




Thanks... fixed the YouTube links for the "lazy" klamerin, too busy talking to Stjin! :D

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

klamerin wrote:
First single from the new Helllight album, once again nothing groundbreaking, but perfect execution so I'm excited for the album



Very middle of the road and the clean vocals? I hate them.

klamerin wrote:

New Amenra, personally I stopped following the band after their second or third Mass, but this new song seems kind of pleasant:



I used to like this band, but I can't past the screaming these days. Getting old, for sure... :oldfart:

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:36 pm
Posts: 74
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Manes have 3 male vocalists and 2 female on that album.

The vocalist on their early stuff is someone else. Asgeir has been with the band a long time, but they've been using Rune and Tom as well. I can't recall Asgeir being at any of their concerts since at least 2010 or so.


Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

maladie wrote:
Manes have 3 male vocalists and 2 female on that album.

The vocalist on their early stuff is someone else. Asgeir has been with the band a long time, but they've been using Rune and Tom as well. I can't recall Asgeir being at any of their concerts since at least 2010 or so.


Thank you! :)

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 11:26 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

maladie wrote:
Manes have 3 male vocalists and 2 female on that album.

The vocalist on their early stuff is someone else. Asgeir has been with the band a long time, but they've been using Rune and Tom as well. I can't recall Asgeir being at any of their concerts since at least 2010 or so.



I have to relisten to this album of theirs, beacause I can't remember it featuring so various vocal ranges. Not my favourite though.

And Merch, I share your opinion about the new track of Helllight. It lacks intensity, some twists to catch the attention. It's very safe.

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Wed May 05, 2021 12:56 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

baphomet wrote:

I have to relisten to this album of theirs, beacause I can't remember it featuring so various vocal ranges. Not my favourite though.

And Merch, I share your opinion about the new track of Helllight. It lacks intensity, some twists to catch the attention. It's very safe.


I got to know Manes quite late... for some reason, they never grabbed me. I'm rediscovering them now.

I believe the new Helllight album will be the usual stuff, no progression, which is a bit of shame. I stopped following them some time ago.

_________________
It's not Doom...


Wed May 05, 2021 3:21 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

I've been blown away by Vilosophe. It collected raving reviews when it came out, pretty much on all webzines. It was well deserved as , back then at any rate, I felt it kind of came from nowhere, from no pre-established musical form, and moreover born from a totally unexpected radical change of style. So emotive, dark and challenging.
Then I bought everything. I'm a bit ashamed about this, but I never, never pay attention to the credits, and to me, there have always been one singer in Manes. The guy (the leading singer I'd say then) has a tremendous ability to take you to some intense emotional rides.

The other one I would recommend is How the World Came to an End; after that, they ceased to surprise, yet kept a very high quality.

Now listening to Goatpsalm/ downstream. I'm very looking forward to whatever they'd put out, these guys. Jee, that is so good!

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Wed May 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?



Is this good! Calm, melodic and majestic FD

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Thu May 06, 2021 4:38 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

New Fyrnask


_________________
It's not Doom...


Thu May 06, 2021 8:55 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Very good, Fyrnask!

epic mid-tempo BM: https://eoront.bandcamp.com/album/gods-have-no-home

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Thu May 06, 2021 9:59 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

The last song of this ep is a gem of opiate doom metal:


_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Thu May 06, 2021 12:42 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Rotting Christ - Rituals

_________________
It's not Doom...


Thu May 06, 2021 3:40 pm
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Rituals is one their very good albums. It's an easy band to listen to, very catchy.

Draconian/ under a godless veil

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Fri May 07, 2021 4:58 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Posts: 10417
Location: UK
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

baphomet wrote:
Draconian/ under a godless veil


Now, I like this one... ok, it's not as extreme as other recordings and I've read lots of disparaging comments (maybe because of that). But it's a pleasant melodic gothic metal album... and I love Heike... :p

_________________
It's not Doom...


Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 am
Profile
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 14437
Location: Belgium
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

Intense build-ups on the new ep by Zatokrev. Good atmo sludge:

https://zatokrev.bandcamp.com/album/bigod

_________________
'The horror... the horror...'
Every man is an abyss


Fri May 07, 2021 11:05 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 am
Posts: 1541
Reply with quote
Post Re: To what listenest thou?

I was a bit disappointed by the latest Zatokrev EP, while it is good, they seem to have moved to a more standard post metal direction, losing what made them unique. Good music, nonetheless.

Today I saw Drown (ex-Slow) released a new album, which made me super excited until I realized it's some weird bland ambient, unlike the wonderful funeral doom I expected from them...

https://markovsoroka.bandcamp.com/album/--3


Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478 ... 480  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.