Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:08 am



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Richard Dawkins-Enemies of reason 
Author Message
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post 

I do not well understand that.

_________________
"For thy three thousand buckets here is six"


Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:42 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 am
Posts: 930
Reply with quote
Post 

those who view these kinds of things in a purely scientific way are missing the point. totally missing the point. religion, mythology, superstition, all that stuff is a reaction to the fact that people, and therefore science, has not figured everything out. it is a psychological issue mostly involving the subconscious. most scientists and even a lot of philosophers are dull fucking one sided thinkers with no trace of spirituality and who probably don't even meditate. or do you not believe in that either?


Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Posts: 293
Location: Transylvania
Reply with quote
Post 

||||| wrote:
those who view these kinds of things in a purely scientific way are missing the point. totally missing the point. religion, mythology, superstition, all that stuff is a reaction to the fact that people, and therefore science, has not figured everything out. it is a psychological issue mostly involving the subconscious. most scientists and even a lot of philosophers are dull fucking one sided thinkers with no trace of spirituality and who probably don't even meditate.


Exactly.

Most of us are missing the point altogether.

Science is also a form of religion, in a way. And it's so close-minded that it hurts.


@Johnson: in my view, if you are just science-sided, and need material PROOF for everything, and don't "believe" in any kind of spirituality, you are just cold, dead meat existing in only your own rotting "material dimension". You have no idea what you are missing here.

_________________
Dream is destiny


Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:07 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:16 pm
Posts: 706
Reply with quote
Post 

||||| wrote:
who probably don't even meditate.



hahahah! They don't even meditate! How do they cope?!

_________________
Get off my case motherfucker!


www.myspace.com/portentuk


Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post 

Oh good god; someone save me now. Your arguement is so petty and feeble it hurts. I don't deny there is a god; but I doubt there is a god. That is because I see no reasonable or persuasive evidence or argument to lead me to think otherwise.
It is you (who seem to wrap religion up with "spirituality" and meditation into one whole concept) who bear the burden of responsibility for your claims.
I have never denied (not once) that there is no more to life than the merely physical. I could talk with experience and enthusuasm about OBEs or telekinesis or hauntings for instance.
But as seems to be the usual case you are ready to jump into attack mode at the first sign of resistance to the totally unreasonable concept of religion.

_________________
"For thy three thousand buckets here is six"


Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Posts: 293
Location: Transylvania
Reply with quote
Post 

Johnson wrote:
Oh good god; someone save me now. Your arguement is so petty and feeble it hurts. I don't deny there is a god; but I doubt there is a god. That is because I see no reasonable or persuasive evidence or argument to lead me to think otherwise.
It is you (who seem to wrap religion up with "spirituality" and meditation into one whole concept) who bear the burden of responsibility for your claims.
I have never denied (not once) that there is no more to life than the merely physical. I could talk with experience and enthusuasm about OBEs or telekinesis or hauntings for instance.
But as seems to be the usual case you are ready to jump into attack mode at the first sign of resistance to the totally unreasonable concept of religion.


This is what I hate about the Internet - people constantly misinterpreting each other's words. There was nothing hostile in my reply, sorry if it seemed that way, I didn't even talk about you, just pointed the finger to that kind of people you seemed to represent in your comment. Oh and I didn't talk about religion there, spirituality doesn't equal religion. I am not even religious, although I am interested in world religions, their origins and so on...
Nevermind anyway...I just tried to clear some of my points.

_________________
Dream is destiny


Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:59 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post 

Oh come on. Nothing hostile? I can think of very little that could be as utterly offensive as telling someone that has no belief in "spirituality" (whatever that is) to be, and I quote: 'just cold, dead meat existing in only your own rotting "material dimension"'. How much more arrogant, insolent and obnoxious could one possibly be?
So even if I was to say that I had no belief in "spirituality" - does that then mean I cannot appreciate and be moved by great art? By literature? Poetry? Good music? A glorious English winter landscape? And any less than yourself?
Anyone with a love for truth outside themselves has to start with no belief in God (or the supernatural) and then look for evidence.

_________________
"For thy three thousand buckets here is six"


Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Posts: 293
Location: Transylvania
Reply with quote
Post 

Never mind.

Cheers

_________________
Dream is destiny


Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post 

What a cop out.

_________________
"For thy three thousand buckets here is six"


Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:53 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 74
Location: Canada
Reply with quote
Post 

I like Richard Dawkins, but he seems to have a bit of a "I'm better than you cuz I'm not religious" attitude to him. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a logical and rational non believer if he acts like the biblethumpers do.

Was he the one that coined the phrase "religion makes moral people do immoral things" ?

_________________
Infinite Grievance at:
Facebook
YouTube
BandCamp
SoundCloud


Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm
Posts: 47
Reply with quote
Post 

Killinger wrote:
I like Richard Dawkins, but he seems to have a bit of a "I'm better than you cuz I'm not religious" attitude to him.


As stated above, I quite disagree.

_________________
"For thy three thousand buckets here is six"


Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.