Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Why hearing to Doom Metal? 
Forum User

Post Why hearing to Doom Metal?

The point of this topic is to understand why you hear Doom? What reason made feel interested to this kind of music? What type of feeling you have or are you looking for when you are listening to doom. This is not a place to give formulas, but to explain personaly what is in your opinion the sense and the reason to hear doom, and explain wy you hear doom. It is interesting to show the steps that take you to doom metal, what albuns, what experiences, or other things that bring you to enjoy doom.

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:02 am
Forum User

I got into doom (originally) through Nile, I remember hearing "Hall of Saurian Entombment" (From "In Their Darkened Shrines) and marveling at the atmosphere it created. From there I got interested in Black Metal, getting "In the Nightside Eclipse" (Emperor) and, while browsing a list on Amazon, I found "The Call of the Wretched Sea" (Ahab). A Google search for "Doom metal" brought me here, and, well, here I am.

I guess I listen to Doom because it's so atmospheric, and sometimes epic. (I love anything epic) It can make great background music, but is even better when you actually listen to it and appreciate listening to it as an activity in itself rather than something to do to something else.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:49 pm
Forum User

Black Sabbath got me into Doom. Their sinister music was soothing for my aching soul. Listening to something as dark as my feelings somehow comforted me.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:47 pm
Forum User

sabbath and trouble are the catalysts. for me, it is all about the riffs. the addictive riffs are like a mantra to me, i don't care for the lyrics, i feel and hear the sounds only. you close your eyes and let the riffs wash over you. i guess it is all about the right rhythm.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Forum User

I think this topic is more suited for this forum.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I got into it from a combination of Skepticism and then Thorns of the Carrion...I just happen to find slow music more emotional and warm,....which is weird because I also listen to fast punk rock...go figure. But I love the emotion of doom metal and how it deals with topics that are very real and dear to me...loss of love, nature, depression, etc...all that stuff hits home to me.

Self Perception Theory - despondent suicide drone
http://www.perceivingthyself.wordpress.com

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 pm
Initally I got into doom because I wanted to hear something as crushingly depressing as possible. Nowadays I like to listen to something that's heavy as fuck without resorting to constant speed, and still retaining feeling and atmosphere.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 pm
Forum User

i got into doom through a mix of Trouble (Psalm 9), Cathedral (Supernatural Birth Machine) and My Dying Bride (The Angel and the Dark River), all three bought with out ever hearing them before purchase. it just grew from there. i guess what really got me into it was the oppressive nature of the music especially compared to what was big with me and everyone else in 11th grade (MDB and Trouble), and/or the stoner, somewhat fun-loving feel of Cathedral (i was really into stoner rock at the time).

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:35 pm
Forum User

For one, my favorite Black Sabbath tracks were the doomy ones but I wasn't particularly listening to doom then, it clicked when I heard Epicus Doomicus Metalicus, I owe everything to Candlemass.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:34 am
Forum User

I had got into death and black metal and I was browsing through Relapse Records' catalog when I saw a few bands described as doom metal so I wanted to find out what that was. I did a search, found www.doommetal.com which was quite informative (and also told me about the greatness of Solitude Aeturnus ;)) then the next result in the search was this place and voila!

Try not to lose yourself

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:43 am
Forum User

I listened to Doom bands like Candlemass and Trouble in the late 80's / early 90's without knowing there was actually a metal subgenre for "slow metal".

Around 1996, I was listening to Cathedral, My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost, yet still completely aware they were also Doom Metal. I became aware of the subgenre that same year after an internet search on Lycos on the Doom computer game. :laugh:

Eventually, I liked the music and started exploring other bands.

The main reason Doom still sounds so fresh to me is because it doesn't rely on sound or speed to convey heaviness, as oppossed to thrash and traditional metal, the genres I grew up with.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:04 pm
Forum User

I always had people into heavy music around me growing up, but I was more into rock 'n' roll stuff and never saw fast death/black stuff really heavy (although I have come to understand it later, especially death metal). I thought the heavier stuff was always slower and more blues based so I always thought it would be cool if someone made music in the vein of Black Sabbath nowadays. Then one day few years ago this friend of mine turned me into bands like Kyuss, Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard. Needless to say I was hooked. After that I have slowly dug deeper and deeper into the world of heavier and slower music in general. Be it trad., stoner, post-metal, sludge or funeral doom.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:57 am
Forum User

Because it implies an interesting relation with Time itself :D

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:16 pm
Forum User

Because it is the truth

Doom rule 699. In the absence of absolute truth, settle for a good fantasy.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:17 pm
Forum User

Reverend Bizarre is what really set me off on the Doom hunt. I just love the slow intensity of it all. Maybe my current favorite metal subgenre.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:31 pm
Forum User

because we 're all GAY :angel:

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:43 pm
Forum User

Mourning Dawn wrote:

Our sexual preferences are none of anyone's business :angry:

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 am
Forum User

I started to listen doom with My Dying Bride, my girlfriend gave 'Turn Loose the Swans' to me, and actually I was starting to listen metal these days, I didn't spent my time by starting with Metallica, just got into doom directly
:;):

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

In early 90's, I started to listen hard rock and metal music , when I was 14 , lake many teenagers. I was regulary watching Headbangers Ball show on MTV. In triple trash threat part, I saw MDB video "Songless bird". It was first doom song I've ever heard. I was amazed - I discovered doom music. Got "Turn loose the swans" album. I became a big MDB fan. Later started exploring other bands and more extreme subgenres like funeral doom. That's how I starded my doom yourney and it still lasts . I'm 27, and I'm in doom more then ever.

What I see in doom? Emotions, art, difference, atmosphere, loneliness, pride, love, dark, romance, pain , hope...

Last edited by Proud Sufferer on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:46 am
Forum User

DOOMZILLA wrote:
Mourning Dawn wrote:

Our sexual preferences are none of anyone's business :angry:

*was just joking :( *

/play again wormphlegm demo, to punish myself

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next