Earth nature field

To what listenest thou?

For discussion of all other music genres.

Moderators: Merchant of Doom, The Staff

Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Re: To what listenest thou?

Post by Merchant of Doom »

The new Ahab has dropped... listening to it on Spotify. Not sure what to think of it (yet)...
It's not Doom...
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Merchant of Doom wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:15 pm The new Ahab has dropped... listening to it on Spotify. Not sure what to think of it (yet)...
The initially released tracks were quite awful, but yesterday I heard the last song, the one with Greg Chandler, and it was surprisingly good. If there are other songs in this vein, do let us know=)
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

Ultra cool and dreamy stoner doom, very, very nice trip - I think I need this album:
The daylight wanes; the night deepens; remember!
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

klamerin wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:15 am
Merchant of Doom wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:15 pm The new Ahab has dropped... listening to it on Spotify. Not sure what to think of it (yet)...
The initially released tracks were quite awful, but yesterday I heard the last song, the one with Greg Chandler, and it was surprisingly good. If there are other songs in this vein, do let us know=)
I'm liking it, but it's early days... it's quite slow in places, with lots of clean vocals... :)
It's not Doom...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

An "ideal" Funeral Doom list offered by no less than Spotify. Could have been far worst, honestly:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3OvUV ... sktop&nd=1

too bad I don't want to sign up on Spotify... BTW, I find the new Ahab properly unbearable!
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Listening to lots of Deha projects recently, stuff like Cruel Words, the Marla Van Horn collab and Same Old Silences are really fantastic!

Stabat Mater - Treason By The Son Of Man - weird album, still cannot get my head around it, on one hand it's quite underwhelming, on the other it's actually surprising at times and exciting!

Oakmord - We Were Always Alone - amazing, worthy successor to My Shameful. Slow, bleak and the burning moments come as even more intense. Too bad it's so short, I really hope they'll release more soon!
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

New Katatonia... to be honest, can't tell the difference from the other albums of late, but at least they managed not to write more eurovision songs...
It's not Doom...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

Merchant of Doom wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:57 am New Katatonia... to be honest, can't tell the difference from the other albums of late, but at least they managed not to write more eurovision songs...
I've given it a throughout listen. Nice, comfortable, unmemorable music. As usual, i'd say. They are a solid band, but need to spice up a bit their sogwriting that's becoming very idle.
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

baphomet wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:16 am
Merchant of Doom wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:57 am New Katatonia... to be honest, can't tell the difference from the other albums of late, but at least they managed not to write more eurovision songs...
I've given it a throughout listen. Nice, comfortable, unmemorable music. As usual, i'd say. They are a solid band, but need to spice up a bit their sogwriting that's becoming very idle.
Totally agree with you!
It's not Doom...
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

On Thorns I lay - Threnos
It's not Doom...
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Rigor Sardonicous's new album - Praeparet Bellum. Even though all elements are kinda good, this is simply boring, which is true for most of the band's output. It's nice in small doses - I have the 7" split with Persistence in Mourning (which are a better band=) and one song is perfectly fine=))
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

New Katatonia - I expected bad but this is truly awful. Even Renske's vocals have lost their idiosyncratic traits and is now completely standard and mundane like the rest of the music. Aaron did the same in the latest MDB with his clean vocals where they lost their mournful tones entirely. They are now simply "plastic" bands, out of the factory. I'm truly disappointed. I decided to go back through their disco up until albums like Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance which I do not like as well - but they are miles away compared to that - they might be happy and bouncy but at least sound like Katatonia.
klamerin
Forum User

Post by klamerin »

Hearse - Traipse Across the Empty Graves. Well this is a surprise. I only knew this band due to the release of their two demos which was the worse entry in the otherwise stellar Suicidal Doom Series by Painiac Records, but they seem to be active again and released their first full length. And it's not bad at all - very old school and raw (in style, not in production), better than their demos but in the same vein - very slow and brutal death/doom. Nice!
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

klamerin wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:03 am New Katatonia - I expected bad but this is truly awful. Even Renske's vocals have lost their idiosyncratic traits and is now completely standard and mundane like the rest of the music. Aaron did the same in the latest MDB with his clean vocals where they lost their mournful tones entirely. They are now simply "plastic" bands, out of the factory. I'm truly disappointed. I decided to go back through their disco up until albums like Viva Emptiness and The Great Cold Distance which I do not like as well - but they are miles away compared to that - they might be happy and bouncy but at least sound like Katatonia.
After many spins, yes, I have to agree with you... it's a very bland record with only a couple of acceptable songs. Disappointing.
It's not Doom...
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

It's not Doom...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

very good, Tribunal! Exceptional even, for a debut, I'm amazed!

check out the rest here:
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

baphomet wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:16 pm very good, Tribunal! Exceptional even, for a debut, I'm amazed!

check out the rest here:

I was pleasantly surprised!
It's not Doom...
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

It's not Doom...
Merchant of Doom
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

It's not Doom...
baphomet
Site Administrator

Site Administrator

Post by baphomet »

Impressed by this French Indus sludge combo. A niche genre that I (still) find interesting: