Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
What Doom Genre is my Band? 
Forum User

Post What Doom Genre is my Band?

Hi all,

I've been into doom ever since I first heard Black Sabbath back as a teenager in 1974 (War Pigs from the Cal Jam was on a TV show called, "In Concert"). Fast forward to the late 80's and I found Candlemass & Cathedral had picked up the doom feel and created new directions which was great. But it wasn't until I discovered this site recently that I heard of all the doom genres (avantgarde, black, death, funeral, drone, gothic, stoner, etc). I had no idea doom had branched out in so many directions! Anyway, I have a few one-man-bands I record under, the most prolific is Mutiny in Jonestown (which plays prog rock) but I also have a doom band that I call, "WytchCrypt". I just posted a song from the latest album to youtube and was wondering if anyone here would be interested in giving it a listen and sharing an opinion of what doom genre you think it would belong in? To my ears it's a combination of doom and prog rock but I don't really know where something like that would fit in the spectrum of doom genres.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGyUMjbZcWo

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: What Doom Genre is my Band?

Hi, good you landed in here, it's the finest place on earth to get acquainted with this gorgeous scene. :D

Well, yes, prog doom is a good description of your music. it reminds me of some weird, lesser known acts (not by the visitors of this place surely) like Aarni and Umbra Nihil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1frdCvc9lqw

It has a kind of slow-downed "the Kinks" vibe, in an evil way of course. Nice, I like it.

In fact it makes me feel like relistening to the Village Green again...

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 pm
Forum User

Thanks Baphomet for giving Wytches a listen! I've never been described as having a Kinks influence before but I like it the sound of an evil Kinks :) A few years ago I did a WytchCrypt album that was completely instrumental and heavy. It was very guitar-centric with touches of mellotron. I wanted this album to be more of a hybrid between my prog band and that album. Not sure if that means this is prog rock with doom or doom with prog rock, but I'd never really heard a those 2 styles of music together and was after something I hadn't heard before and am happy with what I got.

Thanks for mentioning Umbra Nihil...I'm checking out their Gnoia album on youtube now and really like it...

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I am myself surprised at the incongruity of this comparison. Not sure it's totally sensible. :D

for what it is worth, we do have a progressive doom umbrella tag:

http://www.doom-metal.com/bandlist.php?list=127

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 am
Forum User

Thanks for the link...lot's of bands there I want to check out :)

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]