SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
anyone know of Newer or upcoming Doom labels? 
Forum User

Post anyone know of Newer or upcoming Doom labels?

Hey guys! just what the topic says! I'm looking for some newer or smaller Doom labels for my project. I threw a bunch of money at it and it sounds insane compared to anything else I've ever done and I REALLY don't want it to languish on Bandcamp for all of eternity lol. any recommendations? I've gone through a few of the more well known ones and I'm not holding my breath or anything lol.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:30 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: anyone know of Newer or upcoming Doom labels?

I can recommend Aesthetic Death and Endless Winter, the former is based in England the other is Russian. Both are small units focusing on extreme doom.
https://www.aestheticdeath.com/
http://endless-winter.org/

Bandcamp has eaten a large market share once hold by traditional labels. Many have disappear or drastically reduced their activity, and I don't know of any doom-dedicated ones that would have popped up in the recent years.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:14 am
Forum User

I like the EP quite a lot even though it is quite fast at times for my liking. Very, very nice indeed=)

I have no idea about potential labels but Silent Time Noise, Satanarsa, Funere, Satanath are all recent labels that handle Doom partially or exclusively.

As for bandcamp - I do not see how it can eat any market share whatsoever - on the contrary - it is overwhelmingly used by labels to promote their music and also gives unsigned bands easy way to gain exposure that would be impossible in the past.

It is beneficial for bands - If I were a band I would be quite happy to be able to gain feedback by listeners that could in turn attract labels than sending demos to labels placing all my hopes in the opinion of the label employee who checks them. It is also beneficial for labels - there are countless, sometimes short lived, labels in recent years dealing in all kinds of genres, while in the past small one-man part-time/hobby labels were either impossible or very hard to do.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Solitude Productions?

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
As for bandcamp - I do not see how it can eat any market share whatsoever - on the contrary - it is overwhelmingly used by labels to promote their music and also gives unsigned bands easy way to gain exposure that would be impossible in the past.

In my opinion, just a feeling though, bandcamp is such an easy, efficient, visible way to promote one's music that you don't need a label anymore to release it.
Now, maybe the fabrication of a physical support is easier when entrusted to a label with experience in that field. But digital is the new norm. And the increase in international shipping costs made it even more popular.

Fire, promise is a good ep indeed!

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
bandcamp ... In my opinion...

Ah, I did not read your original comment from this perspective - but yes, you are right about that.

And since digital is indeed the norm now, labels that want to sell physical items have to work much harder to present a product worth buying, which is also not a bad thing. You have easy access to the music itself while the physical products have increased in quality for sure, as they are not just a vessel for the music as in the past.

As for EP - I really like the production of the vocals and also the scattered notes among the guitars are really well composed. The only downside I notice is the blastbeats that are really bland in some cases, contrasting with the otherwise interesting compositions, but it's a relatively minor complaint.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:57 am
Forum User

Thanks guys! I will check for some of these tonight when I finish work! I actually know of most these but its like my brains goes blank when I try to think of them for my own project!

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words on Fire,Promise . I really feel like the actual full length will outdo it in every way possible. In fact, part of how this came about is I just wasn't happy with the way it all sounded. Just kind of sounds.... flat? like when I was playing the songs they would sound way more lively and thick through my amps and I just didn't think I had done them justice. So I did end up redoing the two slow songs off it and put threee new ones on it as well. If the faster parts bored you I think this will be much more up your alley lol! There's like one uptempo spot I think? and a 11 minute long one that only gets slower as it goes?

And I guess I should clarify that I think Bandcamp is the best thing to happen to musicians since Black Sabbath (happy birthday to the debut!) since it really gave me a platform to actually release stuff and actually see that people may be downloading it and maybe even liked it.... But as a collector and artist I would love too see the physical copy of it in my hands. like its confirmation that "wow look at this... it looks AND sounds amazing" like the hard work paid off? I mean, I guess with a label I'm more looking to make sure it gets heard. With Fire,promise I think I didn't even had a charge on it for a download for It and just wanted people to listen and it just seemed like it faded a tad... and I threw a lot of money and work into this new one and I'll be damned if only I get to hear it lol. I just know that I hardly download anything still and try and purchase a physical in all cases.

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
klamerin wrote:

In my opinion, just a feeling though, bandcamp is such an easy, efficient, visible way to promote one's music that you don't need a label anymore to release it.
Now, maybe the fabrication of a physical support is easier when entrusted to a label with experience in that field. But digital is the new norm. And the increase in international shipping costs made it even more popular.

Whilst I am a huge fan of Bandcamp, and now have a collection of over 400 albums bought through it (though always the physical version, if one exists), it's also a bit of a victim of its own success when it comes to finding stuff. If you've got lots of time, you can browse recommendations, or you can follow other people with similar tastes, or whatever, but it's not that effective for discovering good stuff that you don't already know about from somewhere else. You may not need a label to handle the actual release if you're going entirely digital, but you do need some kind of label-level promotional backing if you want any sort of higher profile to get people to your page in the first place. I presume this is why there's a trend for labels like loneravn and Solitude to now distribute digital-only releases: cheap for them to do, better exposure for the bands concerned.

Anyway - real-world example: in three years I've sold a total of 20 CD copies and 25 downloads of our tribute album through Bandcamp. And that's with a popular name like MDB attached to it, and quite a lot of publicity through the various participating bands having links to it. That doesn't seem out of the ordinary - if I look through my collection, there's a lot there which has been bought by single-digit, or low double-digit, numbers of other Bandcamp users. I think the best-seller on there is the latest AngelWitch, which shifted all of 400 copies via Bandcamp...

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:53 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I used to use Bandcamp a lot but less so these days, just don't have the time to listen to that much new stuff any more because I've got myself involved in three bands and that eats all spare time!

Doesn't matter in the context of this thread but I have been mentioning it anywhere that bandcamp comes up. A bit of a misconception is that if stuff is on bandcamp it is the band selling it, and you should head straight there to support the band. I've had the chance to work with a few bigger labels recently (for what? wait and see!) and in my experience for any labels bigger than Solitude/Aesthetic Death sort of level the contract you sign will give the label the rights to control digital sales so bands will just get the usual cut, which has been anywhere from 10-50% depending on who it is.

For example:
https://esoteric.bandcamp.com/ is run and operated by and mostly profited by the USA branch of the bands current label (hence pricing in $ despite being a UK band and French label)
https://esotericuk.bandcamp.com/ is all direct to the band, also currently only digital source of the older albums (I'm working on that).

Even Solitude run their own bandcamp selling all their releases, but their contracts (at least the ones I have signed) didn't claim exclusivity.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
it's also a bit of a victim of its own success when it comes to finding stuff. If you've got lots of time, you can browse recommendations, or you can follow other people with similar tastes, or whatever, but it's not that effective for discovering good stuff that you don't already know about from somewhere else.

Bandcamp, YT lists, labels' catalogues, Lastfm "similar bands"... I use all that.

At least a couple of times each week, I check the bandcamp search function by tags. "death doom", "funeral doom", "cold wave "and whatnot... It brings lots of different stuff to the surface, new releases, best buys, most commented... There's hardly a metal band now that doens't have a bandcamp account (be it run by the band or a label supporting it). So it's an efficient magnyfying glass when you can pull all the right triggers.

unwashed_villager (aka Tobias Rieber, I found out your real name through bandcamp! :D) invited us doom fans to leave a comment whnever we liked something on this platform, and I must admit that the comments left by the users, when detailed enough, are a quite appealing way to track down new discoveries. I should bring me to write some too, now and then...

Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:49 am
Forum User

Hey thanks for the mention. I wish rieper was my real name. So inconspicuous. :p I only use this forum and BC. For me Spotify is strictly for torturing other people.

In reply to kris:
BC could be more transparent about where the money goes to. I have some other issues with it (like band and label selling the same download hence spreading comments) but it's a good platform for discovering music at any rate.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:00 pm
Forum User

Yeah I mean, it just makes it so easy to get your music out there. For a guy like me who isn't the most tech savvy with anything design wise it REALLY makes it easy for me to just jump In and get it out there. I don't have a huge collection on it but I definitely have found more than a few new bands through it and even if it cost a little more usually go through their platform if I know its going directly to the band.

I guess I mean I was just curious about looking at getting a label just so I know at least a FEW people will get to hear it. Mostly because, despite a few mistakes on my part (learning process lol), I'm really proud with how it turned out and there is legit almost no music scene where I am living lol. I am happy to say that it is getting picked up for a cd release at the very least and am thankful for the suggestions since it turned out to be fruitful :D

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

FleshTemple wrote:
I am happy to say that it is getting picked up for a cd release at the very least and am thankful for the suggestions since it turned out to be fruitful :D

Which label have you found an agreement with, in the end, if I may ask?

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:22 am
Forum User

Actually we are going to be working with Endless winter on the cd release . The layout is being worked on as we speak then off we go! I'd like to see it digitally distributed as well just so people can check it out on Spotify as well but we shall see.

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]