Frowning-Extinct
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Paradise Lost - "One Second (20th Anniversary Edition)" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Paradise Lost - "One Second (20th Anniversary Edition)"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3180.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:51 am
Forum User

Post Re: Paradise Lost - "One Second (20th Anniversary Edition)"

Great review Mike! My first PL album was 'Believe In Nothing' which was also one of the first metal (or metal-related) albums I've heard as a teenage neophyte metalhead, so PL's '97-'03 era is very close to me. And I feel the same way about their early albums - though undeniably influential, they're not as fun to listen to in their entirety, while 'One Second', 'Believe In Nothing', or 'Symbol of Life' flow seamlessly from start to end.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:30 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum User

You should give Icon and Draconian Times some attention.

The order of the songs and how feelings go up and down during the album is fantastic.

Though I like One Second and Host they are more a summary of good songs than a homogenious album.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:37 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

For a second I thought it was the review of the new one... :p

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Another album that does me pretty much nothing; but this review drove me to youtube where I listen to half the eponymous; well, this one is is quite good, more to my taste.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Another album that does me pretty much nothing; but this review drove me to youtube where I listen to half the eponymous; well, this one is is quite good, more to my taste.

yes... I even like "Host"... :D

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 pm
Forum User

I read the review while listening to the album and enjoyed the reading more then the listening=)) But I could never get into this band, no matter how many times I relistened to Gothic or the rest.

Btw Mike, your comparison made me curious and I was wondering where would you place this album compared to Sisters/Nephilim etc (and judging it in this context)?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Revoked wrote:
You should give Icon and Draconian Times some attention.
The order of the songs and how feelings go up and down during the album is fantastic.
Though I like One Second and Host they are more a summary of good songs than a homogenious album.

To be fair, I did at the time, I have many times since, and I still find them difficult releases to give an unqualified recommendation. For me, Paradies Lost sit alongside people like David Bowie - they've made essential, must-have albums, but actually even the must-haves are somewhere between a third and half filler. I wouldn't be without them, for the high points, but those are far better collected on a selected playlist than listening to the entire album. That's quite unusual for me - I'm old-school, and I generally would rather hear full albums as the creator intended. I'm quite happy if people disagree, though. There's no shortage of folk who consider PL the biggest and best of the Peaceville 3, and I certainly wouldn't expect them to share my opinion...

Ur-Quan wrote:
Great review Mike! My first PL album was 'Believe In Nothing' which was also one of the first metal (or metal-related) albums I've heard as a teenage neophyte metalhead, so PL's '97-'03 era is very close to me. And I feel the same way about their early albums - though undeniably influential, they're not as fun to listen to in their entirety, while 'One Second', 'Believe In Nothing', or 'Symbol of Life' flow seamlessly from start to end.

Thanks, I consider that a real compliment!

klamerin wrote:
I read the review while listening to the album and enjoyed the reading more then the listening=)) But I could never get into this band, no matter how many times I relistened to Gothic or the rest.
Btw Mike, your comparison made me curious and I was wondering where would you place this album compared to Sisters/Nephilim etc (and judging it in this context)?

Cheers! Well, I'd certainly see it as more influenced by the Sisters than the Neph, it does have the more poppy feel of Vision Thing and the later EPs like Temple of Love and Under the Gun, and isn't really dark enough to take in otherwise similar acts like The Awakening. I'd take all of those originals over One Second, but I'd still place it above a lot of the second-generation and fairly contemporary '90s Goth Rockers like Catastrophe Ballet or The Merry Thoughts. I certainly don't disrespect it as a release, and in many respects I'd say PL took on the Goths of the time at their own game and won. I just wouldn't say it trumps the pioneers of the late '70s and early to mid '80s.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:48 am
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:
to give an unqualified recommendation.

There is no 'unqualified' when it comes to art & personal taste. It' your opinion and that's fine. It's nothing you can measure.

Maybe Icon and DT are not as good as I think they are because of my emotional connection to them (I was growing up 15/16 at that time, discovering metal in general for me etc.)

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 am
Forum User

I listened to One Second a lot when it came out. I though it was the best thing they'd done since Gothic. And then the following summer, I stopped listening to it. I might have played it once since.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kieronunsilence wrote:
I listened to One Second a lot when it came out. I though it was the best thing they'd done since Gothic. And then the following summer, I stopped listening to it. I might have played it once since.

I re-listened to it the other day... well, what can I say? Some brilliant songs followed by such fillers that you think it's not the same band... nevertheless, I remember liking it a lot when it came out... :p

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:22 am
Forum User

This just in: Greg Mackintosh has ranked all PL albums from worst to best for Decibel: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2017/09 ... s-records/

Judging from this, Greg isn't too big on One Second. It's also funny that he's so harsh on 'Believe In Nothing' - if I haven't found that album back then, I might have never gotten into PL at all! Listening to it right now and, well, it's very different riff-wise from the rest of their stuff. However I still love it, and think Nick's vocal performance here is my favorite among all their albums.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum User

There's plenty of interviews where PL gives very critical statements to their phase between One Second until before In Requiem.

They are personally very uncomfortable with those albums. And cannot understand Today why they actually did them with that sound.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I get it... this is their 'Cold Lake' and you guys all love it. :rolling:

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Revoked wrote:
There's plenty of interviews where PL gives very critical statements to their phase between One Second until before In Requiem.

They are personally very uncomfortable with those albums. And cannot understand Today why they actually did them with that sound.

Yes, and they also said they went through a lot of bad things in their lives at the time, and they lost their musical direction and all that. But I am very grateful to them for 'Believe In Nothing' and 'Symbol of Life'. And besides, the fact that they have wandered off into strange territories and managed to return makes their story so much more interesting.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum User

Well basically I am grateful for all PL albums. My statement before was even a 'bad' PL album is better than anything many other bands can sell as their best.

And I like/liked One Second very much. Butit's not my favourite.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 pm
Forum User

That is true. I only meant to say that it's interesting how the fan's opinion about a piece of art can be different from its creator's. And, while not unheard of, it's still uncommon for the band to diss a certain album or few from their discography so harshly - usually the bands are more vague in their opinions.
Also it's funny to see how each fan's perception of the band is different based on which of their albums they first heard and/or liked.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

kris wrote:
I get it... this is their 'Cold Lake' and you guys all love it. :rolling:

Haha, I'm so totally kvlt that I don't like albums if even the band approve of them, never mind other fans... :laugh:

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:09 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Greg Mackintosh's list is frankly baffling. Mainly because of what he's got at number 2. He's pretty candid though which is cool and it's not exactly something you can 'argue' about give that it's only opinions. I like early Paradise Lost, not hugely, but their first few albums were influential in moving me on from the traditional 'Eighties' metal bands I grew up with. One Second is tricky because I really like it as an album. Pity it was Paradise Lost who released it. I've always thought too that they could have been huge if they'd had someone else singing for them. Draconian Times was meant to do that for them, but for whatever reasons, it never did, and they became another one of those UK acts with a sizeable audience in mainland Europe but nowhere else. Credit to them for still being around and making some great music throughout their career.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 am
Forum User

Hmmm. To me FDU-DUU is on Rank 3 or 4 - so pretty high - as well.

It was the Album I rediscovered them for me, having skipped their releases from 2000-2011.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next