A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
wikify the bandlist (and the rest of the site as well) 
Forum User

Post wikify the bandlist (and the rest of the site as well)

A bit less than half a year ago one of the site admins asked me to help with the bandlist, and I agreed.* Unfortunately other obligations got in the way, and I was never able to do much. The fact that with the current system it is complicated and takes a lot of time to make even simple changes or additions also played a part in that. Quickly making a change when I notice some error is not an option. Probably the same is true for others, and consequence is that the bandlist is very outdated, and very incomplete.
I suggested before to replace the bandlist with a wiki, and I'd like to make that suggestion again. Actually, I'd like to propose to replace the entire site with a wiki. It is rather easy to limit editing rights to only a subset of users, and with that provision, it would be a huge improvement over the current set-up. With mediawiki (the software used for wikipedia) combined with the AWC forum extension all the parts of the current site could be integrated in the wiki format and by adapting the CSS it would be rather easy to make it even look pretty much the same. Advantages would be that even in the forum the right hand navigation bar (bandlist, reviews, etc.) would still be there, and that it would be very easy to link from the forum to bandlist pages, reviews, etc. and vice versa. By far the most important advantage, however, and my reason for suggesting wikification, would be that to change something in the bandlist, all someone would have to is click edit, make the change, and click save. (If that person has the right to make changes, of course, but that is very easily arranged.) In other words, wikification gives everything we have now, and more if we want to, and in such a way that it is much easier to manage and keep up to date.

note (*): I just noticed today that I'm even mentioned on the 'staff' page. What it says there seems a bit more than what I agreed to, and I'm not particularly happy that that page lists my email address.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: wikify the bandlist (and the rest of the site as well)

we've asked the administrator of the site to remove the e-mail address. Don't know why it was there and I apologise for it.

Your wiki idea is interesting, but I don't think we have the time nor the resources to embark in such a project. There's only two of us running the whole thing... with your contribution, obviously, and that of the reviewers. We will discuss it, though.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 am
Forum User

If someone is able to install mediawiki in a directory 'w' under the current domain, then we can start copying data to that and make other necessary adaptions. If all of that is done, it is a matter of setting the right URL rewriting rules and the transfer is done. Up till that point, both the current site and the wiki would exist side to side.
I'm managing a site with mediwiki plus forum extension, but mediawiki was installed there by the provider (at my request, of course) so I don't know whether I can install that, but everything else (wiki settings, CSS style sheet, forum installation) I can (help) set up if you can get me FTP access. (We'd need MySQL in addition to PHP, by the way.)

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

we will discuss it... we have no particular technical knowledge, so we'll have to talk to Stijn..

Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]