Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next
What are YOU doing right now? 
Forum User

Post Re: What are YOU doing right now?

I'm lost for words too. It seems that whatever I say will sound completely useless. Hang on? :/

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:28 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I think the best we can do is signal our sympathy and understanding (as un-doomy as that may be), as we have already done. :shrug:

I'm currently trying to get back to work despite an annoying headache. BTW, that's one hell of a storm today, glad I'm back inside now!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm
Forum User

At work coding up a project (HTML/CSS/JS + CMS).

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:53 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Just finished writing that damn abstract! This was really a terrible task. Let's hope I can at least sleep properly now, I think I deserve it. :D One last glass of tea, and then I'm off to bed.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 pm
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

I'm sulking, but being busy at work helps. :yes-freak: :p
Plus there's this place for some entertainment. :thumbs-up:
And all forms of communication are good - thank goodness for computers. :D

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:18 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

strigoi wrote:
And all forms of communication are good - thank goodness for computers. :D

Amen to that! :) Still, it kinda sucks if all the people you like tend to be far away - computers can never replace proper face-to-face communication and all that comes with it. Kudos for being positive about it all, though!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:52 pm
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Not very doomy of me, but I "try" to be positive. :;):
Not seeing someone for so long makes for an awkward first few days when you finally do get to spend some time together. I hate that. It's like a waste of that precious time.
Yeah, seems like I should have been born in a different country - I don't fit into my country's ways. :S
Weird, that. :huh: :surp_noidea:

Right now...I'm washing clothes and waiting for the Steelers football game to start. Probably another loss on its way. :blush: :shrug:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:02 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

strigoi wrote:
[color=#00FF00]Not very doomy of me, but I "try" to be positive. :;):
Not seeing someone for so long makes for an awkward first few days when you finally do get to spend some time together. I hate that. It's like a waste of that precious time.

I hear you on that. The last time I saw my closest friend (and former would-be-fiancé) is over two years ago. In the meantime, our lives have changed so much we've grown apart quite a bit anyway... :S

strigoi wrote:
[color=#00FF00]Yeah, seems like I should have been born in a different country - I don't fit into my country's ways. :S
Weird, that. :huh: :surp_noidea:

Sounds familiar! :/

I'm reading an email, checking the forum, mourning the end of a great album and preparing to watch a film. And I thought I wasn't good at multitasking!

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:25 pm
Forum User

Editing photos from my last trip and browsing jobs on the internet. :angry:

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Well, sounds like a rather patchy way to spend your evening... :;): Good luck with finding a job, though! Damn, I should probably be doing the same. Anyway, welcome back!

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:49 pm
Forum User

Gave up looking for a job. Started eating abnormal amounts of chocolate instead.

(it seems there are less and less jobs on the market each day, isn't that just scary?)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 pm
Forum User

Just got home after work, been in the mood of playing Dark Souls as of late, so that's what's up :p

RE Tschusch: Yes, I don't know your country but in mine things are quite difficult when it comes to getting a job. The economy is jut no good. I am thankful everyday that I have a job I love and that I am doing great at it. May it remain that way.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Tschusch wrote:
Gave up looking for a job. Started eating abnormal amounts of chocolate instead.

I used to do the same in such situations, but eventually gave up on that, too. :O

Tschusch wrote:
(it seems there are less and less jobs on the market each day, isn't that just scary?)

[Smartass-mode]It should be "fewer and fewer"![/Smartass-mode] :D
It's scary, but it's also the sad truth. Over here it isn't much better either, despite the oh-so-strong, ever-growing economy. The low unemployment rates presented in the media are all extremely whitewashed, don't let them fool you. Granted, it may be better than in some other countries, but it's not the safe haven that they want people to think it is.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:30 am
Forum User

Fewer and fewer? Ok, will remember that. :D

Vamos, Mimosa:
Yeah, it seems pretty miserable anywhere you look. Hopefully the situation will gradually improve, I mean shouldn't this crisis end already?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:02 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Tschusch wrote:
Fewer and fewer? Ok, will remember that. :D

Don't waste too much thought on it, though. I learned that this is the correct form which should be used, but I think that not even native speakers care terribly much about such details, ain't that right, endemoniada? Still, that kind of stuff is always interesting to know for anyone with at least a fleeting interest in language.
Tschusch wrote:
Yeah, it seems pretty miserable anywhere you look. Hopefully the situation will gradually improve, I mean shouldn't this crisis end already?

I'm convinced that the crisis isn't the real (at least not the only) problem here and is merely used as a lame excuse by politicians who couldn't care less about making things better for the ordinary people. I mean, as soon as the crisis is officially over, it's not the ordinary people who benefit from it, but above all the economic elite that has nothing to worry about anyway. It's a twisted world we live in.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:24 pm
Forum User

I agree it has nothing to do with politics and everything with the current economy plan or, better said, with the whole turbo-capitalism we live in.

Still. I don't care how the native speakers use their language. I want to improve my language skills, until I reach supremacy and make the whole world kneel before me.
:strigoi:

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm
Forum User

Drinking Staropramen, uploading a collection of pictures to share with someone, eating Merci chocolates. Perfect pre-weekend evening.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

:lol: Merci chocolate, a true classic! :D Damn, now I need some chocolate, too. And I even have some in the fridge!

Drinking water :p and asking myself why I'm posting stuff when I'm already too tired to remember how to spell chocolate (I looked it up in your post, thanks for the help!). Ah, end eating chocolate! :sinister:

Tschusch wrote:
Still. I don't care how the native speakers use their language. I want to improve my language skills, until I reach supremacy and make the whole world kneel before me. :strigoi:

Great, I'll continue being a smartass, then! It's one of the few things I'm good at! :geek/oldfart2:

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
Don't waste too much thought on it, though. I learned that this is the correct form which should be used, but I think that not even native speakers care terribly much about such details, ain't that right, endemoniada? Still, that kind of stuff is always interesting to know for anyone with at least a fleeting interest in language.

I don't think this is one of those cases where people don't care about the details (although there are plenty of instances where that is true, especially when it comes to interchanging UK and American rules of grammar, for example). It's more that it's a reasonably subtle distinction of the kind that used to be learned (along with all sorts of other exceptions to the normal rules) when teaching methods favoured more formality and discipline. The sad truth is that most people using it incorrectly are simply ignorant of that, rather than choosing to adopt an alternative.
Of course, one of the issues with English being used so widely on the internet is that 'accepted meaning' or 'accepted usage' can change very quickly, even from an initially wrong premise. Which is why, for example, the word 'literally' has now been redefined to include its supposedly ironic use as a hyperbole meaning 'absolutely not literally' - thereby rendering it largely pointless in any given context...

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Thanks for the info! Could you give an example of that issue with 'literally'? I don't think I'm familiar with that usage of the word...

I'm watching photos and listening to the Doom radio. :dooom: I should be getting myself something to drink, but I'm too lazy to take the notebook down from my lap and go into the kitchen.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next