SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Your favourite film? 
Forum User

Easy Rider

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 am
Forum User

Among my favorites : Donnie Darko , Perfume, "Vengeance Trilogy", What Dreams May Come, Requiem For A Dream, Forest Gump...

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 am
Forum User

The Godfather 1 and 2, Goodfellas, Forest Gump, Carlitos Way, Saving Private Ryan, Training Day, Braveheart, Gladiator. There is probably a couple more I just cant think right now. It would be impossible to pick a favorite out of these movies.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 am
Forum User

Can't pick just one.. there's so many amazing movies.
Red Beard by Akira Kurosawa is a masterpiece :worship:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058888/

other favorites:

Braindead (Dead Alive)
Dead Man
Dellamorte Dellamare
Les Amants du Pont-Neuf
Happiness
3-iron (Bin Jip)
Trainspotting
Army of Darkness
Bad Boy Bubby
Unlucky Monkey
Seven Samurai
Casshern
Down by Law
Englar alheimsins (Angels of the Universe)
Niceland

etc... i can't remember them all just now :lookaround:

Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 pm
Forum User

There are a lot of films that I like the idea of, but if I were to be completely honest about the films I think I have seen the most, I'd have to include The Last American Virgin (1982), Just One Of The Guys (1985), Back To The Future (1985) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). I think it's safe to say that none of those are even close to being my favorite movie.

The film that I know for a fact I've seen more than any other is Luc Besson's The Professional, which I saw 14 times in the theater, and when I was able to locate the longer cut on Laser Disc in the mid 90's (Leon - Version Integrale), it became a party favorite that I must have screened another 10 or 12 times. This was about ten years before the American DVD was released. Even here in Los Angeles not a lot of people were as obsessive about film as was I, nor did many people own laser disc players. At one point I owned over 3,000 pre-recorded VHS cassettes, 700+ laser discs, and had several hundred pirate copies of films that had never received legitimate releases. That's only counting the NTSC format stuff...

Years later, the film that would be a favorite among guests was Battle Royale, which I tried to license from Toei on several occasions (starting with the first US screening at the American Cinematheque) and which remains unreleased (legally) in the US. I know I've seen it over a dozen times as well. Great film.

Even as I scaled back my video tape and LD collections, I replaced them with DVDs, and before I moved from LA to Chicago and back again, I had a collection of well over 4,000 DVDs. I had a major housecleaning back at the end of 2006 and now try to keep my collection under 1000 (the Criterion Collection DVDs alone account for more than 400 discs on my shelves). It helps keep my place looking uncluttered, but I seem to watch and rewatch the same 12 or so titles anyways.

Some of the other films that I really enjoy and know I've watched more than most are:

A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Lolita
It's so hard to narrow down with Kubrick. I love each of these films and have seen them each many, many times. Dr. Strangelove should probably also be included above.

Apocalypse Now - I used to watch a segment everyday before school in my Junior year, and when I finished I'd start over again. The original cut, not that overly long redux bullshit.

El Topo and Holy Mountain - these are another set, like Apocalypse Now, that it seems I must have watched a dozen times each. Psychedelic filmmaking at its best, and back in 1993 this double feature went over well with my pothead roommates.

Taxi Driver - when I bought a factory tape of this in 1991, every morning upon waking, I'd walk into the living room to discover one of my roommates already awake and watching it. They were all Brits, and I think that this was hard to find in the UK for a long time (like Zardoz and A Clockwork Orange). We could all quote that film backwards and forwards from the sheer volume of viewings. This would also become true of Monty Python and The Meaning Of Life and This Is Spinal Tap

Fight Club
Snatch
13th Warrior
This must be my post-millenial macho trio. Three unapologetic Guy films. Dude movies for sure, but really good dude movies.

As I get older and more mellow, I find that sentimental and poignant films have climbed higher on my list of favorites, and I'm surprised to admit that I love the Mandy Moore film A Walk To Remember easily as much as I enjoy Raiders Of The Lost Ark which was surely my favorite film of all time between the ages of 11 and 13.
Within that oddly-poignant category is the Japanese film All About Lily Chou Chou, which is easily in my all-time Top 3. It's my dream to remake it, which is absurd because the film is perfect as-is. I'm not going to go on and on about it except to say that it's one of the most sadly beautiful films about youth I've ever seen.

I also enjoy greater as I get older, Political films whether dramatic or documentary. Battle of Algiers is a scripted film of true events starring the people who actually lived them, and is not only another of my three favorite films, I think it's safe to say that it is one of the best and most important films ever made. I like Citizen Kane and Stagecoach as much as the next guy, I guess, but I don't feel the need to watch them again and again even though I can appreciate their technical brilliance and influence. The online viral video Zeitgeist is something I must have played back-to-back about seven times when I first came across it, but I do tend to love a conspiracy. Now it just depresses me. Syriana was one of my favorite films of the last few years, and based on the writings of Bob Baer, whose work I devour.

The third film in my All-time Top 3 is The Shawshank Redemption. The story "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" is one of the four novellas in Stephen King's Different Seasons; my favorite story from my favorite of his collections. It was rightfully nominated for an Oscar (but got Gump-ed) and seems to improve with each viewing. Its a universally affecting story about friendship and the difference between truth and justice and it makes me feel good every time I see it.

Maybe I really have become a sentimental old fool in my 30s, but I've come to realize that it's pretty easy to shock, and it blood nd guts don't hold the affinity that they used to do. If I want to feel bad I can just watch the news. Movies were originally conceived to be an escape from the doldrums of daily life, and the films that help me to escape have a better chance of landing in my queue these days.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Thee Dungeon Ov Thee Dooomed Thread

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Oh crap there are too many to list but if I had to pick one it would be Goodfella's.

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Hard to name just one favourite. Here's little list.

Magnolia
The Fountain
Mulholland Drive
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Goodbye Lenin!
Las Lunes Al Sol

Let's go with this.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

My taste has since developed and refined since my last post, my all time favourite, 10/10 films would be:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Return of the King
3. The Dark Knight
4. Eraserhead
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Aguirre, Wrath of God
7. 28 Days Later
8. Blade Runner
9. Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht
10. Withnail & I
11. Léon
12. The Wicker Man (UK)
13. Twelve Monkeys
14. Fight Club
15. Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

Basically anything surreal, dystopian, epic or bleak :)

www.myspace.com/atsdoom
www.myspace.com/brokenbonesandshit
www.myspace.com/eternalfrost666

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Right now, Eyes Wide Shut.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 pm
Forum User

Without a doubt, the best movie I've ever seen is Apocalypse Now.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:27 am
Forum User

Alien. Mostly because when I first saw it (I was only small), it scared the absolute crap out of me.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Aguirre by Werner Herzog. Der Zorn gottes is the original title.
Apocalypse Now Redux is a good choice also.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:18 pm
Forum User

Some days ago I have finished watching Blindness ~ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861689/, (movie was made by the novel that I absolutely adore). I love the fact that every segment of this movie goes literally by the book. This movie has definitely become one of my favorites now. :banana:

Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:34 am
Forum User

Among my favorites, The Godfather Trilogy, One Flew over the Cukoo's Nest, Jeramiah Johnson, Into the Wild, Gladiator, Braveheart, Apocalypse Now(redux), Reservoir Dogs, Forrest Gump, American History X, Trainspotting, Bird, The Last Samurai, Rocky 1, Platoon, A River runs Through It and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:31 am
Forum User

hmmm

Pulp Fiction
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Orgazmo (a movie from 1995 by de creators of Southpark, soooo damn funny :) )
Taxi Driver
The Godfather
Scarface
The Big Lebowski
Office Space

and many more :)

www.moshmeeting.com
www.myspace.com/moshmeeting
www.last.fm/user/BlackBullet

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

A few of mine in no particular order: :shrug:

Dracula (1931)
The 13th Warrior
Slapshot
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Subspecies I-IV
Ivan the Terrible (1944)
Hellraiser (the first one)
Das Experiment
It's a Wonderful Life

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:57 pm
Forum User

I can't think of an all-time favourite, my favourite for the moment is The Big Lebowski, probably because I've seen it again today :;):

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm
Forum User

Braveheart FTW

http://heatsmetalparadise.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:54 pm
Forum User

10 in no order:

Apocalypse Now
The Big Lebowski
A Boy and His Dog
LOTR trilogy
Oldboy