A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
horror movie recommendations 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: horror movie recommendations

Yeah, I think this is the most interesting Thai horror movie I saw these last weeks.
Another not too bad one is The Unborn; I think the actress is really good in that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQs7AEd_

Also, another really scary one is 'Coming Soon', not a lot of atmosphere though, it's more 'direct in your face'. But I can't find the link to the full movie, only the film in parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qeix3gz ... ure=relmfu

and from Japan, Tales of the Unusual is a really interesting 4-part horror film with various approaches. All quite clever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzbiXop2vw

Sun May 27, 2012 6:58 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Great, now there's hope for the next few endlessly bleak evenings!

Sun May 27, 2012 8:11 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The Tunnel.

Following the wake of Blair Witch that serves as model for a whole new generation of horror movies, this little low-budget Australian film is really solid! A team of journalists illegally sneak into a vast network of tunnels that run under the actual subway to investigate on the unexpected turnaround of the government that has put an end to an ambitious town-planning project that should have taken advantage of this immense 'city' under the city.
Cameras in hand, our four grown-ups (that is a change!) walk to the heart of the network to do they job: to testify and to denounce despite everything.

Bad idea to go there alone, without any weapons and without a lot of light!

The film is extremely tense, although edited in flashbacks. I must say you're won over, and more than once, I jumped out of fear! There you have an effective recipe, it takes nothing, but above all, in this kind of movie that sticks to the characters, you need good actors, and those ones are excellent!

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Sounds very interesting! Cool idea.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I really enyoyed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQrozMTWlY

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:48 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Thank you! Bookmarked it right away - hopefully I won't forget about it again, I have this tendency sometimes.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've been told The Tunnel resembled a mix between Creep and Grave Encounters. I didn't know the latter; it seems to be the same kind of plot, just an old hospital instead of an abandoned tunnel network.

Creep is a good film altough more traditional.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:23 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Have you ever watched "The Descent"? Quite (in)tense, that one...

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, I saw it, And I'd be lying if I said I didn't enyoy it, but at the same time, it didn't completely match my expectations which were huge after reading a lot of raving comments about it. The time I needed to be able to find a copy of the movie – two years after its release - had made me even more nervous.
I think the film doesn't fully take advantage of all the possibilities of the hostile environment it depicts. The last part is nothing more than an action sequence, it turns into a basic hit-and-run movie with a regular girl becoming a bigger-than-life heroine, a bit too classic to win my vote, really. I think the problem is also that the creatures are too human-looking. I mean you see it's just people with make-up whereas in REC for example, you really can't tell where that stuff comes from, what makes the whole last sequence really frightening.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
I think the film doesn't fully take advantage of all the possibilities of the hostile environment it depicts. The last part is nothing more than an action sequence, it turns into a basic hit-and-run movie with a regular girl becoming a bigger-than-life heroine, a bit too classic to win my vote, really.

You're right, it's not a perfect film by any means and the part you're describing is pretty much by-the-book. All in all I still found it pretty intense and claustrophobic, though.

baphomet wrote:
I think the problem is also that the creatures are too human-looking.

I think that was partly on purpose (apart from the make-up thing, which I didn't perceive like you describe it...). They wanted to make clear that these are by no means supernatural beings or anything similar, but a regular - as yet undiscovered - part of vertebrae evolution. The whole way they live has many parallels with humans, they are probably meant to depict a relatively primitive predatory species that is quite closely related to humans (and apes, I guess). This approach gives the whole thing an extra amount of credibility in my book... When I first saw it, I had to think of Wells' "The Time Machine" where a similar subterranean humanoid species is described.

baphomet wrote:
I mean you see it's just people with make-up whereas in REC for example, you really can't tell where that stuff comes from, what makes the whole last sequence really frightening.

REC? Can's say I've heard about it! A rather interesting alternative is "The Cave" where the creatures are definitely far less human and their origin remains obscure. It's less tense overall, but still nice and it also gives you a few interesting impressions about spelunking.

I watched "The Tunnel" the other night, really good, thanks again! It remains very vague thorughout, which is both a good and a bad thing - on the one hand it avoids a silly resolution, on the other hand one might get the impression that the creators themselves didn't really know where they were going and hence chose to shy away from a proper resolution. But I'd always prefer the latter scenario over a disappointing resolution which would have made the whole film seem ridiculous in retrospect. Still, it could have been more daring, more complex, there's little on the content-level to actually identify with; for the most part it exploits the concept of being hunted, trying to escape, not knowing what's going on etc. The basic approach (with the government research project for water recycling etc.) offers so much more in terms of interesting plot structure. Despite all this, it was very entertaining, and I have to admit one thing: Some moments were just so damn eerie that it's hard to find words for it! I guess the general vagueness adds to that...

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:10 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
They wanted to make clear that these are by no means supernatural beings or anything similar, but a regular - as yet undiscovered - part of vertebrae evolution. The whole way they live has many parallels with humans, they are probably meant to depict a relatively primitive predatory species that is quite closely related to humans (and apes, I guess). This approach gives the whole thing an extra amount of credibility in my book... When I first saw it, I had to think of Wells' "The Time Machine" where a similar subterranean humanoid species is described.

I thought it was more of a devolutionary thing - that the idea was they had once been human but had adapted to the cave environment over time, and the survival of the "heroine" implied she would be going down the same route. Rather like Lovecraft's "Lurking Fear", or the movie "Hemoglobin".

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Any more recommendations? I'm browsing the menus youtube offers and only stumble across quite rubbishy stuff...

Still, I can recommend a very good, clever and surreal film starring Liam Neeson and Christina Ricci, After Life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBnB3iClS6g

I don't want to spoil the story, just watch it and I guess you'll enjoy the show (plus, Christina is fully naked most of the time! :bounce: )

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:27 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Sounds promising, gotta check it out! :D Have you watched "The Broken" yet? I'm sure I mentioned it before in this thread. Great unbloody horror the way I like it. On the bloodier end, I watched the new "Evil Dead" at the cinema some weeks ago. Sick stuff... But it completely lacks the ironic tone of the original films.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for the reminder, I see it is available on youtube in parts, I'll watch it asap!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Alien Trespass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_sZnUMPvo

I really enjoyed watching this film that is a sincere declaration of love to the typical 50's American drive-in kind of movies. The plot, the sets, the colours and the lights, everything contributes to the re-creation of that iconic imagery of genre films of the time. althought the story follows a very literal course, there's still a slight trace of irony that brings a a bit of humour. Very good!

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:26 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

"Silent Hill". After "Moon" (brilliant film, btw!), this was the second film I watched on my newly purchased BluRay player, and to be honest, it just fell into my hands at the library as the only BR apart from "Moon" that mildly interested me. I had no expectations whatsoever but ended up very positively surprised. Although I have to agree with film critics in that the characters and dialogue are poor and the story somewhat long-winded and confusing, the film more than makes up for that with unusually impressive, atmospheric visuals: production/set design, special effects, surreal and disturbing imagery - it all comes together here to make for a really interesting experience. Some of the more extreme scenes even reminded me of Clive Barker's trademark style as seen in "Hellraiser" or the disturbingly macabre video game "Jericho". Yes, I did laugh about some stupid moments, but I'm still glad I watched it. Another really good thing about the film is that it does not allow for the clear-cut distinction between good and evil which is so typical of most horror films. There isn't even anyone to really identify with. The ending is surprisingly ambiguous, too. In all, this must be the best video game adaptation I've seen by far, after ridiculous offerings like "Max Payne" or "Doom". Recommended!

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:24 am
Forum User

Post horror movie recommendations

Is there a remake? I saw Poltergeist when I was in high school. Actually it did scared me a little in the beginning but not so much after that. I was in my horror love phase back then. But most movies and books werent scary enough for me. Stephen King was good.

Japanese and Chinese horror tales are much scarier than most Western horror genres.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 am
Forum User

Baskin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SfWmXQY3o really well made.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:03 am
Forum User

We Are Still Here. I almost didn't watch it because I heard bad things about it but it was really good. A little slow in parts but keeps your interest.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:27 pm
Forum User

Ouija: Origin of Evil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4361050/ best horror I've watched in a very long time... the trailer spoils some good scares, so I'd skip it. it's also a prequel to an "Ouija" movie, but I recommend watching this first. you basically don't need to bother with the latter, very poorly written.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next