Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
MICHAEL HANEKE. 
Forum User

Post MICHAEL HANEKE.

i love this austrian director. he has a very distinct style.

all you guys and girls need/must see THE SEVENTH CONTINENT.

you will never forget the last 10 minutes of this movie!

sorry for bringing up this movie again, i may have done so before at the older forum.

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:07 pm
Forum User

Of Haneke's films I've only seen Funny Games (1997) and Caché (2005).

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:29 am
Forum User

maybe it is the script but all his movies really have a great story to it, and it is the way he directs his camera shots. it is deliberately slow. not much panning shots, just stock still. i have seen all his movies, even this elusive one called the castle i think. on tape. this one is based on a franz kafka novel.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:35 pm
Forum User

I've only seen Cache and quite liked it, I've been meaning to check out his other stuff.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:41 pm
Forum User

I have watched Funny games, Benny's Video and The seventh continent. The seventh continent is easily one of the best film's i have ever had the pleasure to see. The fact that it is based on a real life event makes it quite a haunting and extremely refreshing watch. I wonder how the funny games remake will turn out to be.

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:32 am
Forum User

Haneke has just remade Funny Games in English. I hope he changes the lame "remote control" ending. If you haven't seen the film, this will not be a spoiler by the way. I was a big fan of Benny's Video, and would rate him about equal to Lars Von Trier in terms of film quality. Both directors elicit phenomenal performance from their actors, but often the material is not as interesting as the concept. This is not always the case but I'd venture the opinion that I enjoy less of his total output than I dislike. I've not seen Seventh Continent, but I've seen all of his other feature films except for the last two (Cache, and the yet to be released US remake of Funny Games). Hour of the Wolf, for instance seemed to tread some pretty familiar ground, and Code Unknown was an uninteresting bore. Piano Teacher was very good, and Benny's Video is an amazing film, but The Castle failed to hold my interest and the ending of Funny Games was like a slap in the face; if given the choice between "good" and "clever", I'll pick the former every time. Amok was also nothing special.
I will say that at the very least, I'm glad that Michael Haneke is actively making films. I feel that he (like David Lynch) is always working to present something thought provoking, and when he gets it right there are few filmmakers on his par, but when he gets it wrong it's a confusing, dysmal mess. But I do like all of Gaspar Noe's films, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Post Re: MICHEAL HANNEKE.

I only recently discovered Haneke. I've heard of his works before, and some of them were/are on my watch list for a very long time, but I haven't really seen much of them until now.

I've recently seen The Piano Teacher - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254686/, after reading the novel (Die Klavierspielerin by Elfriede Jelinek). :bounce: I loved them both, although I find book much more intriguing, as is usually the case.

I caught The White Ribbon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1149362/ )on TV yesterday, but didn't have the time to watch more than 10 minutes of it. I will probably watch it this weekend.

And of course I must also add this year's Amour to the must watch list. Hopefully I will find enough time for all the movies I want to see.

What I like about Haneke are the topics he chooses to portray. Most of them are things you normally wouldn't want to talk about, at least not in the public. Basically it's the dirt beneath your everyday facade. I also find his long static shots very interesting, kind of an estrangement effect which causes you to really focus on hat's going to happen.

Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]