A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
What have you been watching? 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: What have you been watching?

Tschusch wrote:
baphomet wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:
Nice boobs? Should you be looking for that sort of thing, being a woman an' all?

:buttrock:

:metalhead:

I'm a woman, I do what I want. :D

Fair enough :p
Obviously, I'm firmly behind the principle that there's nothing wrong with assessing boob quality in any case...

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:55 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Obviously, I'm firmly behind the principle that there's nothing wrong with assessing boob quality in any case...

:laugh:
I see we all have a healthy attitude around here. :D

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:38 am
Forum User

:laugh:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:41 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Can anyone recommend a dark, possibly horror-tinged sci-fi film in the vein of the first two in the Alien franchise, the Predator series, Terminator 1, The Thing, Event Horizon, Pandorum (you get the picture)? It doesn't really matter whether it's a recent film or an older one, and it doesn't have to be exactly in that vein, but definitely dark and thrilling somehow. I've been hoping to find something like that for quite some time now, but there doesn't seem to be much of it out there... When I'm not in the mood for experimental/art stuff like Lynch, Bergman, Fassbinder etc. (and I haven't been in that mood too often recently), this kind of dark sci-fi/horror/action conglomerate is what I like best, but apart from the above-mentioned examples, I can't think of anything worthwhile.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm
Forum User

Well you can try with several movies.

First, I would recommend you Prometheus (2012): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/?ref_=nm_knf_t1 .

Made by Ridley Scott, it features many well known and good actors (two not necessarily interchangeable terms as you might agree) and it has an interesting, albeit an already seen story - people vs. aliens and their spaceships. Noomi Rapace again plays some sort of a superwoman who goes through all sorts of dangers and simply refuses to die. I guess she could be featured in the next Expendables movie, fighting bad guys alongside Chuck Norris :D. Still, if you're at least somewhat into sci-fi, this movie is a must.

Another one I watched quite recently is The Last Days on Mars (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1709143/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

Again it features some quite well known actors (Liev Schreiber, Olivia Williams), this time however fighting zombies and not aliens. Oh, wait a minute, they're actually fighting this alien virus turning people into zombies, so technically they are fighting aliens ... who are at the same time zombies :D how cool is that? The script is good and it's beautifully shot. All in all a good movie.

Now I don't know how familiar you are with some of the older movies - but Solaris (1972) by Tartakovsky is a classic: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Pleeeaase try to get your hands on this version and not the 2008 American remake since the latter sucks big time, imo. :) The movie revolves around a psychiatrist on a remote space station who realizes that the nearby planet is somehow capable of manifesting your dreams into the real world. So, basically there aren't any aliens or zombies to fight this time, yet the whole story is more than creepy. It's one of my favorite movies.

Moon from 2009 is another one of my favorites: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/?ref_=nv_sr_3

We follow the story of a space worker located on the moon whose work contract is about to expire and is eagerly waiting to return home to his wife and daughter. The only problem occurs when he suffers an accident and is rescued by someone who looks just like him, has the same name as well as the same memories ... :) It's a very emotional movie, focusing a lot on feelings of isolation and what it means to be a person.

Another movie dealing with space "and sci-fi stuff" is Cargo (2009): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Just stumbled across this one. I haven't watched it yet, so I can't really say much.

And yet another one with a similar theme - Pandorum (2009): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1188729/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I didn't like it much, but hey, you never know, it might appeal to someone ... I found it too forced and cheesy when it comes to the very "unexpected" romance between the main two characters ... Oh wait, you've written you already know this movie ... Well, ignore this.

Alternatively, you can always watch movies like Alien vs. Predator or Avatar, but ... Honestly I wouldn't really recommend the first one to anyone and the second one just screams "Hollywood blockbuster" - style over substance imo.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

You have to see Forbidden Planet; if you don't like it, I can't do nothing for you; this is a seminal work of art.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Thanks a lot you two! Especially to Tschusch for the detailed descriptions. :)

I bought “Prometheus” blindly, being a big fan of the original “Alien” films (especially the first two); it starts with an interesting premise, but doesn’t deliver its promise. In short, it was a major disappointment for me. Good production design and solid actors can’t rescue a terribly half-baked script and unfocused director’s work. I’ve actually commented on that film before somewhere on this forum. In my opinion, a lot of potential has been wasted on that one – shame.

“Pandorum” is a good, albeit not excellent film – I’ve seen it twice and I really like the feel and design of it, and also the ending was very intense despite its slight cheesiness. The story wasn’t bad at all, either. Was there a romance? If I recall correctly, the watcher always suspects that something like that might come, but it never actually does; I might be wrong, though, it’s been a while. The thing I liked least about this film was the creature design – at first it seems quite creepy, but when you get the chance to take a closer look, well… it’s not.

I’m a big fan of Tarkowskij’s work, and “Solaris” is indeed a classic, as is “Stalker”. I have to say, though, that I really like Soderberghs rendering of the plot, too. By the way, it’s not actually a remake but a new screen adaptation of the book by Stanislaw Lem, who hated both films. :D I saw Soderbergh’s version first and find it extremely emotional and intense even to this day, and also beautifully shot for that matter. The female actor is fantastic even though I strongly dislike Clooney on the other hand. On the whole, I couldn’t disagree more about it sucking big time. :;):

Moon has been on my list for some time and I’ll watch it eventually, thanks for the reminder. I actually tried to watch it online once, but the sound quality was too low for me to tolerate. Maybe I can find a better version somewhere. I’ve never heard of “The Last Days on Mars” or “Cargo”, and neither have I seen “Forbidden Planet”; those will be added to my list!

“Aliens vs. Predator” is a total abomination indeed, especially for a fan of both original franchises; rarely have I seen such a pointless film. “Predators”, on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise and nicely picked up the ideas of the original two films, but also took them a bit further (without re-inventing the wheel, of course). And “Avatar”, well, shame on Cameron for that endless recitation of cheesy stereotypes. It may be nice entertainment, but it fails to capture even the slightest bit of the essence of what Sci-Fi is all about. Just like Star Wars, it’s pretty much a Fantasy story in a Sci-Fi setting, only that Star Wars (the original films) at least has some classic elements that are considered cult for a reason.

Have you seen “Dark Star”, btw? It’s quite different from what I’m looking for, but mandatory if you’re into those older, more interesting Sci-Fi films. Another film I forgot to mention in my earlier post is “Dark City”.

Yesterday I watched “Sunshine” (2007). It’s not a film I’d watch twice, but it’s well worth checking out anyhow. It’s got a good oppressive atmosphere to it.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

"Pitch Black"/"Chronicles Of Riddick"
John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars"
"Doom"
- all action/horror/sci-fi types. A bit cheesy in places, but watchable.
"Dark City"
"The Thirteenth Floor"
- more mystery/thriller than action. Dark City is particularly good.
"Cube", and associated sequels/prequels.
Cronenburg's "Videodrome" and "Existenz"
- more horror/thriller than action.
And if you've never seen "Killer Klowns From Outer Space", you probably should...best alien invasion movie, ever :)

Edit - Oops, see there's no need to recommend Dark City after all! And since you like Dark Star, as well as The Thing, it maybe worth checking out some of John Carpenter's other work: They Live, Escape From New York/LA, Vampires and, of course, Big Trouble In Little China - my favourites of his lesser-known catalogue.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 pm
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:
And if you've never seen "Killer Klowns From Outer Space", you probably should...best alien invasion movie, ever :)

I used to consider this one as the best alien invasion movie ever:

Ok, ok, I know: it's the best Santa's invasion movie ever.Image

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It has an undeniable, erm, 'quality' all of its own. And some of the best hats ever designed... :D

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

endemoniada_88 wrote:
"Pitch Black"/"Chronicles Of Riddick"
John Carpenter's "Ghosts of Mars"
"Doom"
- all action/horror/sci-fi types. A bit cheesy in places, but watchable.
"Dark City"
"The Thirteenth Floor"
- more mystery/thriller than action. Dark City is particularly good.
"Cube", and associated sequels/prequels.
Cronenburg's "Videodrome" and "Existenz"
- more horror/thriller than action.

Edit - Oops, see there's no need to recommend Dark City after all! And since you like Dark Star, as well as The Thing, it maybe worth checking out some of John Carpenter's other work: They Live, Escape From New York/LA, Vampires and, of course, Big Trouble In Little China - my favourites of his lesser-known catalogue.

Been meaning to react to this for a long time, but you know how it is... I know many of those films already, though it might be interesting to give "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick" another chance; my recollection of the latter is particularly cloudy. "Cube" was quite nice; so the sequels are worth watching, as well? I saw "eXistenZ" a while ago, and while it won't become a favourite of mine, it was definitely worth watching. I'll look for the other Cronenberg film, too. Last year, a friend of mine showed me "Killer Klowns...": hilarious stuff indeed, though I'd say it's way too ironic to be considered dark. I saw "They Live" some months ago, too - another really good film by Carpenter. I still have to watch "Doom" and "Ghosts of Mars".

When I posted my original request about dark Sci-Fi, I made some discoveries of my ownf. "Altered States" is probably worth mentioning - a pretty unique, in places almost Lovecraftian and definitely psychedelic film, though it's more of an idiosyncratic horror film than proper sci-fi. The first half drags a bit, but it has some really intense sections towards the end. Then, I stumbled over "Fringe", the series, which I hadn't heard of before. What a discovery! So that's what I've been watching these past few months. At first I was sceptical: I liked the characters (portrayed excellently!) and some of the first hints at an overarching mythology, but found the first few episodes somewhat derivative. But I continued watching, trusting the countless reviews that stated that it keeps getting better, and soon I was hopelessly addicted. This is surely one of the best series I've seen, inside and outside of sci-fi. I've arrived at the fifth and final season now, and this is the first one which is really disappointing for reasons I don't want to go into any detail about in order to avoid spoilers. Anyway, The second half of the first season and the entire second one were probably my favourites, but the third was also great and there were many brilliant moments scattered across the fourth. For a long time, Walter was my favourite character, but in the later seasons, I was always delighted to see the 'second' Astrid in action. I mean, how can you not love her?

Spoiler: show

It's a shame they never really explored the potential of that character.

Thu May 22, 2014 12:17 pm
Forum User

Cowboys vs Aliens? Lol jk. District 9 is a pretty cool and unique take on the alien film, not sure if anyone has mentioned that yet :)

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Watch this if you like intense cinema and you'll be thankful to me:

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:42 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'd be thankful if you stopped being so lazy and posted the YouTube links properly... :D

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:07 pm
Forum User

Lately I've been watching Honest Trailers on youtube. They are pretty hilarious.

"It's angry at the room, mom, it wants the room to suffer."

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Walking Dead......obvs.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 pm
Forum User

MakeItMusic wrote:
Walking Dead......obvs.

I've only seen the first season. I liked it. One day I'll watch the rest.

I've been watching 'Bar Rescue' lately. Cool premise.

Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

NTNR wrote:
MakeItMusic wrote:
Walking Dead......obvs.

:homer:

I am torn between utter disbelief and jealousy. Disbelief because I can't believe you haven't watched more than the first season when the show is clearly so addictive. And jealous, because you have sooooooooo much ahead of you! So many moments of mind-blowing goodness. And you can binge watch!

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:49 pm
Forum User

MakeItMusic wrote:
NTNR wrote:
MakeItMusic wrote:
Walking Dead......obvs.

:homer:

I am torn between utter disbelief and jealousy. Disbelief because I can't believe you haven't watched more than the first season when the show is clearly so addictive. And jealous, because you have sooooooooo much ahead of you! So many moments of mind-blowing goodness. And you can binge watch!

I don't have cable or anything like that so I can't watch it. I had Netflix when the first season was released but not anymore. If/when Prime get it I'm all over it. I followed the comic for a while and it was very entertaining.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

American football, and lots of it.

It's always a bittersweet pleasure, as a Chiefs fan...

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next