SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
What have you been watching? 
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: What have you been watching?

Once again, great minds think alike... :;):

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:37 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The problem is really conceptual: Lynch has made of surrealism the fabric of this new season of Twin Peaks, a quality that not only exposed every explored trail to question and doubt (which is interesting, intellectually, but is bound to lead to an essential vacuity) but also sabotages the necessary dramatic, hence logical, progression the format of a tv series demands, with all its prerequisites - above all when it is supposed to be a continuation of an already-existing body.

In a word, it soon ceases to be challenging since every twist in reality seems possible.

That leads me to wonder about the part Mark Frost has really taken in all this.I'm pretty sure we owe him the little reason this series has.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:56 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Your speculation about Mark Frost is interesting. I never really knew how the two divided the creative tasks between themselves.

Indeed, anything seemed possible and nothing had to make a lot of sense. Much of it still works on the level of atmosphere and imagery, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a very incoherent affair on the whole. You're right: the fact that the season is based on the two preceding ones somehow precludes this sort of radical approach. There were so many loose story ends after the second season that you can't just make a third one without at least trying to tie up those ends - at least if you decide to make a quasi-seemless connection, using the same characters and some of the plot elements. So even if, for a moment, we assume that Lynch's surreal and experimental approach to the third season is legitimate (which it may well be to some extent; after all, a lot of time has passed since the second season, and television has evolved considerably since then), it's not radical and consistent enough to be convincing. If it were to work, he should have left out most of the plot elements and clear references to the earlier seasons altogether. As it stands, he tries to be experimental and inconsistent while at the same time tying it in with the earlier seasons on the plot level, and ultimately, none of these two layers really works because they undermine each other.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Funnily enough, Mark frost is very rarely mentioned when speaking of the TP mythology. I never found any substantial interview or article about his part in TP, as if he had decided to stay in the shadow leaving all the glory to Lynch. Really weird.

Come to think of it, he wrote a book about TP, that I never read... I don't know in what extent it can overlap the third season.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

A friend of mine commented very favourably on that book and keeps recommending it to me. I value his opinion, so it's probably worth a look...

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:27 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Grimm

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33