Radioactive
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
What have you been watching? 
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: What have you been watching?

I tried watching The OA after several people had recommended it to me with suspicious conviction. However, I turned off the pilot after half an hour because, frankly, it was getting on my nerves big time! A few days later I thought what the hell, maybe I had a bad day, so I watched the rest, and while it did get better, I still wasn't intrigued. (A friend said that he was totally captivated by the pilot; I don't see what could possibly be captivating about it!) Finally, yesterday I watched another half hour, the first half of the second episode, and it bored me to the point of annoyance. I think it's safe to say that I don't, and never will, like this series.

Meanwhile, I picked up Falling Skies again, and while it does have its moments, it remains so-so on the whole. A few episodes of this and that get thrown in for good measure, but I'm not really captivated by any series at the moment.

On the plus side, I finally watched Arrival some weeks ago and it's every bit as great as its reputation! A truly majestic and inspiring film. Villeneuve seems to be an extremely able filmmaker in general, and I'm anxious to see how his Blade Runner sequel turns out.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 pm
Forum User

Mostly older Simpsons episodes :D They had such funny writing

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Watching the third season of Twin Peaks and it puts me into trance. :D

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Forum User

It's a real masterpiece!

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, I feel his movie Lost Empire served as a draft; He's streching the potential of the series in totally unexpected directions, it has a strange hectic flow, between goofy parts, experimental, abstract sequences, classic plots and cryptic issues; it is the utmost labyrinthine storytelling I have ever seen! I think it'd be in vain if you'd try to find a meaning, although some veils have already been lift up and some secrets enlightened (the Blue Rose for instance). But I'm fine with secrets, Twin Peaks deals with unexplainable matters anyhow.

And it's so fucking dark! :O

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Surely, you meant 'Inland Empire'? Indeed, the third season has many similarities to that film. I've been watching it, too, and have only two episodes left now. It's been really difficult for me to accept it's so radically different from the original series and it won't really conclude the story arc in a traditional sense. It's certainly daring and fresh in many ways, challenging throughout (mostly in a good way), though sometimes a tad too goofy and absurd even for my weird taste. It got better during the last three episodes I've watched, and it feels like they've finally found a working balance between storytelling, experimentalism and pure absurd lunacy. There's no shortage of memorable moments, that's for sure! Still, it's rather frustrating to realise that it'll be over soon, now that I finally feel things are kicking off properly...

Other than that, I recently watched the series 'The Mist' based on Stephen King's story of the same name, and found it terribly underwhelming for the most part. The film from a few years back was surprisingly good, so I'd been hoping for something similarly compelling from the series, but I can't recommend it. The second season of 'The Expanse', on the other hand (two more episodes left of this one, too), is among the best I've seen. Amazing stuff, but it really is hard sci-fi, so you have to be into that sort of thing to really enjoy the series. Still sceptical about the new Star Trek series that's going to start next week...

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:01 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, I meant Inland Empire, silly me!

I've still two episodes of Twin Peaks 3 to watch, but I can't bring me to it. I feel the ending will be a disappointment: the series should have been much longer to really complete a satisfying coverage of all the grounds that have been explored. There're too many directions, to many subplots, perhaps too many derivative abstract sequence whose length is not really justified. It's like a car that'd run full speed and there's that wall at the end of the line, and you know you'll have only a couple of meters to brake before the crash... Well, I see these last two episodes as the last couple of meters.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

That's exactly how I feel! In fact, there were some all-too long-winded sequences bordering or pointlessness and boredom, which I felt were inexcusable as long as there are still so many loose ends to tie up in the story. Some of the digressions were fun and interesting to watch, but some others really felt unnecessary. The 13th episode in particular was rock bottom for me and it took me a while until I could bring myself to continue watching after that (fortunately, it got better afterwards). I guess they simply didn't have a proper idea for a satisfying conclusion and got caught up in details...

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 am
Forum User

And as far as I know no one really knows if there will be any continuation. Meanwhile I've decided to fill some blank spots and watched all classic Alien movies. Now I know the origins of "Kill me" catchphrase haha.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I read a few days ago that Lynch doesn't preclude the possibility of a fourth season, but states that if it should ever happen, it'd probably take a while. I think he said so in a Czech interview.

The 'Alien' franchise is essential indeed, though in my humble opinion, only the first two are really convincing. The second one in particular is one of my all-time favourites, I know it inside and out.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:33 pm
Forum User

The funny thing that second instalment was directed by Cameron and honestly I see quite a few common features between Terminator and Alien 2 plots.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Alien 2 is an action movie with a strong female character that has a strong sense of motherly responsability. Cameron is very attached to family values. I should watch Alien 4 again.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

It's an action film alright, but its dramatic composition is extremely clever and effective - indeed in much the same way as is the case with the first two Terminator films (the first one especially).

Last night I watched the penultimate TP episode. While I had planned to watch the last one as well, I couldn't bring myself to do so in the end: so much happens in E17 that I had to let it sink in first.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:27 am
Forum User

The 4th Alien is quite interesting especially knowing that the director of "The city of Lost Children" was involved. The aesthetics are quite remarkable.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

It's certainly better than the third one, which I don't like at all, and it's quite dark, too. I've always found it a little over the top, though. Still a solid watch. Perhaps I should re-watch it: I have the quadrilogy Blu-ray box anyway, and haven't watched 'Resurrection' on Blu-ray yet.

I've been re-watching the Terminator franchise recently, too, except for the fifth one, and I'm still having a hard time understanding all the hate towards 'Salvation'. Sure, it's no masterpiece and can't compete with the first two, but it's far more coherent and exciting than the third one in my book, and a solid-enough flick at any rate. The actors are way better, too, compared to 'Rise of the Machines', whose first half is almost unwatchable.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:23 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Have you watched the last TP episodes yet, bapho? I'd be curious to hear your opinion. I watched the last one yesterday and it definitely left a stale aftertaste... Then again, I wasn't really expecting a satisfying conclusion anymore. Still, it was very vague and cryptic even by TP standards.

I ended up giving the season 7/10 at moviepilot; it's too visionary, interesting and well-made for anything less than that, but I still find it far from perfect. People have described it as more of a separate entity than a proper continuation of the original series, and there's some truth to that, but even so, it doesn't really constitute a coherent whole in my book. Besides, if they're drawing on TP mythology and bringing back the characters we know from the original, it's only natural that the season will be measured against the other two. And in my opinion, it can't really hold its own, for a variety of reasons. It's still interesting and challenging enough to watch, but on the whole I'm disappointed.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:40 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'll tell you what I think next week, as soon as I find some time to watch the last episodes. The Audrey Horne sequences seem to go nowhere, I have meager hope they'll eventually get some substance.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I don't think I'm spoiling anything if I tell you they won't. Indeed, they were among the most pointless scenes in the entire series. It's a bit of a shame that Audrey was turned into a laughing stock like that; I used to like her character.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:20 pm
Forum User

Yep, Terminator 4 was much better than the 3d one. Having Arnold on board is not the formula for 100% success, that's for sure.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've watched the whole TP series. I'm quite disappointed, but not surprised by the vacuity of the whole, a feeling I get in retrospect.

Really, if anything is possible, then where's the challenge? The pleasure you have becomes blunted quite fast.

Or you have to admit this is not over, but then when will it be? And that still leaves the bad impression of a big unbalanced overall structure with sequences that are meaningful and others that aren't at all.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next