Frowning-Extinct
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Is Netflix even that good?! 
Forum User

Post Is Netflix even that good?!

If I had a penny for every time I heard about Netflix these days... I'd be a rich man. I tried the free month of Netflix and genuinely ran out of things to watch after about 3 days, even then it was a bit of a struggle. TV shows that I found boring, documentaries about god knows what, and old movies I've seen like 10 years ago... I don't get the fascination with Netflix.

Who's a Netflix lover or hater?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Is Netflix even that good?!

I think it gets better the more you watch it as it learns your preferences. It does recommend me stuff that I find interesting sometimes. They tend to cycle through stuff a lot and take good stuff off though which is annoying. There is stuff on there I quite enjoy but mostly keep it for my wife. I probably watch an hour a week at most. Still an hour more than the TV I watch. Do spend about 100 hours a week on youtube (are there 100 hours in a week?) and that's free, and with adblock, ad-free too.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Is Netflix even that good?!

When did you have your trial month? As Kris says, it keeps getting better. I had a trial month some two years ago or so and easily watched everything interesting in that month. However, quite a while ago now, I had another trial month and have remained a member ever since. I'm sharing my account with a friend so we only pay five euros each (I highly recommend that method to anyone).

Whether or not it's any good for you really depends on your taste. They're offering a lot of stuff (series more than films) for 'nerdy' tastes, and in that respect, I'm totally satisfied. I've been using it quite a lot these past few months. I've tried all the other streaming services, including Amazon Prime (the second best for my taste), and none of them had a lot to offer beyond the trial month. Their own productions can be surprisingly good and, in some cases, daring, too. What's more, as opposed to Amazon, Netflix offers everything in the original language, usually has a wide selection of subtitles to choose from, loads quickly and usually without interruption, and offers great video and audio quality throughout. Amazon was far more patchy in all of these respects. But my taste isn't exactly 'mainstream', so you'll have to take my remarks for what they are: a personal statement that doesn't necessarily apply to anyone other than myself.

Edit: Oh, and let's not forget the fact that their selection seems to differ considerably between countries, which might render some of my observations moot.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]