Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
horror movie recommendations 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: horror movie recommendations

abigail wrote:
Ouija: Origin of Evil http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4361050/ best horror I've watched in a very long time... the trailer spoils some good scares, so I'd skip it. it's also a prequel to an "Ouija" movie, but I recommend watching this first. you basically don't need to bother with the latter, very poorly written.

I saw it a couple of days ago, before I saw your post actually.

I don't share your enthusiasm. The photograph is nice, the reconstruction of the early sixties is convincing, the actors deliver a flawless performance, but all that coating can't hide the disappointing weakness of the script. Nothing new, no new ideas, all has been seen and re-seen and re-re-seen again. It's an idleness that annoys me terribly because as a fan of horror films, it makes my interest for the whole genre decline... :/

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm
Forum User

I'm with you on the decline of the genre, but this worked for me... I didn't jump or anything, but I enjoyed it.

I'm on a horror spree lately, have watched Oculus, Jug Face, The autopsy of Jane Doe and Ouija (that origin of evil is a prequel to), but did not like them much... Jug Face is good, but mostly a backwater indie film with blood, not "proper" horror, and Oculus has a good/novel idea (you might like that), but, again, not scary (same guy who did OOoE)... I'm thinking of trying the Poltergeist remake, but the reviews are atrocious.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:04 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

abigail wrote:
I'm with you on the decline of the genre, but this worked for me... I didn't jump or anything, but I enjoyed it.

I'm on a horror spree lately, have watched Oculus, Jug Face, The autopsy of Jane Doe and Ouija (that origin of evil is a prequel to), but did not like them much... Jug Face is good, but mostly a backwater indie film with blood, not "proper" horror, and Oculus has a good/novel idea (you might like that), but, again, not scary (same guy who did OOoE)... I'm thinking of trying the Poltergeist remake, but the reviews are atrocious.

I've seen Occulus a long time ago; I think I liked it... I liked the character of the redhead girl, her obsessiveness... (same actress as in Ouija btw).
Seen The Autopsy too. I really like the first 20 minutes of it, but then the script fails to make the best use of all its potential (I'm thining of the 3 corpses particularly); what is also a flaw to me here is that you guess the nature of the girl far before the two examiners... The SFX are excellent though.

Lately, I watched Under the Shadow; an Iranian movie; very, very nice that one. The story of a mother and her daughter living in an apartment building in Teheran during the Iran/Irak war... Very simple, simple plot, simple tricks, but effective, genuinely frightening and still holding a poetic side.
I watched Don't Breathe too. If you forget about one or two far-fetched details, the story is quite believable, and that is already some little miracle! It's almost a no-exit situation, a house inhabited by a blind man - which is quite convenient to place your camera where you like since there's just the minimum of furniture, a couple of hot spots, cellar, cloakroom, kitchen, bathroom which draw a sketch map that you quickly have in mind. The whole works a bit too calmly maybe, a kind of calm tension :D (except for the ending). I don't like the main actor though, but the film is worth watching.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:19 am
Forum User

abigail wrote:

I am borrowing your list!!. Sorry, but your list sounds fantastic, and i will def be watching all the above mentioned! :p :dooom:

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:35 am
Forum User

go right ahead, and come back and post your thoughts here... :)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:16 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Expecting to see Safe Neihborhood and Get out soon... Hope they won't disappoint.

Fri May 05, 2017 5:17 am
Forum User

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4255304/ good/disgusting Lovecraftian horror. bit pissed they don't give credit when 80% of the movie is HPL, but still probably the best HPL movie I've seen...

Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 am
Forum User

watched Life http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5442430/ and liked it, sort of a remake of Alien.

also watched A Dark Song http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4805316/ and found it very disappointing. unusual ending, but I wouldn't recommend anyone watches it to get there.

have heard good things about Get Out, but not seen it yet.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Get out is really good. I watched A Dark Song also, it's too meandering and the final sequence is very cliché, but the angel has quite a presence for sure. Although the whole stuff is too cute and bigoted for a so-called horror film.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3