Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
UK's drug treatment issues - is this a joke? 
Forum User

Post UK's drug treatment issues - is this a joke?

Is this real? :shock:

nearly 200 imprisoned addicts received compensation of $8,000 each from the government, because, they alleged, officials had forced them to undergo heroin withdrawal—a medically trivial condition—too quickly when they first arrived in prison.

Quote:
Rewarding Bad Behavior by Theodore Dalrymple

The British lead the way.

A former colleague of mine in the hospital where I once worked told me of a recent incident there.

A young man, admitted for a medical condition, drew out a gun, held it to the back of an intern, and demanded that she give him a heroin injection. She surrendered the keys to the ward medicine cupboard to him and told him to help himself. Then she alerted the authorities, who cleared the ward and called the police.

By the time the police’s armed response team arrived, the young man had injected himself with so much heroin that he had fallen unconscious. Never was an arrest easier, therefore—though the man had to stay for a while in the hospital while receiving an antidote to the heroin, and he recovered consciousness before the police took him down to the station.

This might not be the end of the matter, however. Not long ago, nearly 200 imprisoned addicts received compensation of $8,000 each from the government, because, they alleged, officials had forced them to undergo heroin withdrawal—a medically trivial condition—too quickly when they first arrived in prison. Among them were quite a number of illegal immigrants: they probably couldn’t believe their luck (or British stupidity).

Perhaps the young man who drew the gun on the doctor will also claim to have had to withdraw from heroin too rapidly and demand his $8,000. He could then write a guide for like-minded individuals, entitled Threatening Doctors for Pleasure and Profit.

The only cheering aspect of the whole episode was the subsequent conduct of the young doctor. She refused all offers to stay home from work after her ordeal, saying that it would be better for her well-being to resume work immediately. She did not want to be counseled into neurosis.

If only some of our politicians displayed similar backbone.

(Lifted from http://www.city-journal.org/)

Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

It's real. Shit like this happens all the time. Someone even got compensation for injuring himself whilst robbing a school.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:20 pm
So they're actually handing out "compensation" (more like a prize) to dope-addicts for having them kick the drugs cold turkey and getting them straight again? They should at most give the imprisoned addicts a bitchslap to the face for being dumb enough to get hooked in the first place. Its not the states fault they're going through withdrawl as taking drugs (be it heroin, speed, cannabis, alcohol or whatever) has been their own choice.

The state should ask the addicts for 8'000 for getting them off drugs because this is just stupid and propably the weakest attempt at battling drugs any state has ever done.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:58 am
Forum User

I heard something similar in nature. Someone (in the U.S.) accidentally shot his own leg with his gun, and had to pay a penalty because of it. Now that's stupid...

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:27 am
Forum User

Compensation culture is going way over the top in the UK. I read something recently about traffic law here. If a cyclist crashes his bike into your car & gets injured, the car driver is held responsible & has to pay compensation. This applies to every possible situation. So I could be sat stationary in a queue of traffic & if someone is stupid enough to ride their bicycle into my car I'd have to pay for any injury to the rider & any damage to the bike & my own car.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Jim wrote:
Compensation culture is going way over the top in the UK. I read something recently about traffic law here. If a cyclist crashes his bike into your car & gets injured, the car driver is held responsible & has to pay compensation. This applies to every possible situation. So I could be sat stationary in a queue of traffic & if someone is stupid enough to ride their bicycle into my car I'd have to pay for any injury to the rider & any damage to the bike & my own car.
:shock: I... I'm speechless. Thats just too much.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:30 pm
Forum User

Jim wrote:

We have that law in Holland too... I don't understand it either

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:13 pm
I would fit my car with gigantic spikes, so at least if I have to pay for the cyclists stupidity they would be impaled for it.

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:15 pm
Forum User

Jim wrote:

And the ones who should be getting compensation for ill-treatment rarely do anything about it. My girlfriend has had some trouble with her ex-boss, which was an obvious act of discrimination (in parts), and I simply can't talk her into doing anything about it. I also know many people who have been ill-treated in similar ways by their [now] ex-bosses, who still won't do anything about it. If this were the US, they'd all be handsomely compensated by now. Hooray for self-employment.

But I digress. Heroin addicts getting compensation is simply crazy. It sounds like a pro-heroin campaign: "Shoot up. We'll compensate you."

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:24 pm
Forum User

waterlelie wrote:
Jim wrote:

We have that law in Holland too... I don't understand it either

They are changing it... It isn't going to take long before we can't even walk home drunk..

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

heroin addicts should get compensation from methadone clinics, because that shit is just as addictive as heroin. withdrawals need to be fought with psychedelics, not other opiates.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

perennialsorrow wrote:
heroin addicts should get compensation from methadone clinics, because that shit is just as addictive as heroin. withdrawals need to be fought with psychedelics, not other opiates.

Tripping while suffering from Heroin withdrawl? Is that really a good idea?

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Jim wrote:
perennialsorrow wrote:
My thoughts exactly. :D I think many would rather stay high and die.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm
Forum User

Tuska wrote:
Jim wrote:
perennialsorrow wrote:
My thoughts exactly. :D I think many would rather stay high and die.

Well, I think Acid was used to treat some drug addictions (not sure about Heroin), as in, the introspection side of it enables you to realise the error of your ways. But yeah, acid while actually suffering from withdrawal sounds like a nightmare.

Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 pm
Forum User

strangely enough, psychedelics like ibogaine or LSD offset the occurence of withdrawals. basically, trip=no withdrawals. i don't think ill ever understand why this shit is illegal.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

funny thing how good drugs help people get over bad drugs.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I read in a magazine that in my dear country of Canada, a drug addict of some type sued his landlord after being evicted for his problem. He claimed that drug addiction was an illness or disability and that he was thus being unlawfully discriminated against. I'm not sure about the outcome of the whole business, though - I can't seem to find the story on the net - but it shows just how ridiculous things can go.

Sat May 10, 2008 2:52 am
Forum User

I'm a medical student and I had some experiences with drug users and believe me, the 8000 are much less than the money should be given to them. The reason that drugs create addictions is because they replace natural produced molecules inside our body most often neurotransmitters, when those drugs are absent the body needs time to reorganize the production of those molecules and even more time to produce enough quantities for the body to use. In the meantime pain, spasms, halucinations, lack of body control are the main symptoms and in some times even death. If you don't believe me just think at least those of you that smoke, how you feel when you can't smoke and remember that nicotine is thousand times less addictive than heroin or cocaine.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:00 pm
Forum User

I think cocaine is mentally addictive instead of being physically addictive.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

cocaine is just retarded.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next