Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Drugs 
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Drugs

The smell of cannabis alone makes me wanna puke...

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 pm
Forum User

its funny to walk by someone who smoked it, because you cannot NOT smell it hihi^^ (for me as a non-druguser its funny .)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Yes, you're right, it's an obnoxious smell that cannot be ignored. If I didn't find it so disgusting, I might find it funny as well... :;): Good to see another drug-sceptic here, btw. :)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
Good to see another drug-sceptic here, btw. :)

It's a tough gig being a sceptic on this subject - the overwhelming evidence is that drugs do exist... :D

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:14 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

:laugh:
But seriously: Is the word 'sceptic' actually this narrow in meaning? That would mean that I should use it more carefully from now on. :) So, what I was trying to say was 'someone who distances themselves from drugs / refrains from using them / has a critical view on them etc.'.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It depends on how much of a language purist you want to be. For the last few years, in the UK at least, we've had a tendency for the media to throw out hyperbolic and emotive labels based on misuse of previously quite definite terms. So we have terms like 'climate change sceptic' (one who does not completely subscribe to the role of anthropogenically-influenced carbon dioxide production as the primary driver of global warming), or 'homophobe' (one who is not fully convinced that homosexuality is self-evidently valuable diversity and deserving of constant celebration) bandied about as though they have some genuine value instead of being a cheap way to slur dissenting or different points of view.

So in current "common usage" terms, it's quite valid and will be understood to mean what you intended; but, technically, it's still a misuse of the word as defined in the dictionary. To be fair, only the old, the pedantic or the facetious (I am all three... :) ) are likely to argue the point, though - and given the way language tends to evolve, popular and populist misuse will put us on the losing side in the near future!

(It's also true that 'drug-sceptic' is a far pithier term than the more accurate 'sceptical regarding the beneficial value of drugs'. Which is another reason why the language will, no doubt, come to embrace the former in due course).

Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:38 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yeah, I mistrust the shortcuts that language can take. It's alwys a simplification of reality.

Be more Careful, d.mimosa!!!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:00 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I'll do my best - shame on me! :hidebehindcomputer:

Thanks for clearing up the matter! As a matter of fact, I am quite a language purist, otherwise I wouldn't have asked in the first place. So 'sceptical regarding the beneficial value of drugs' sounds perfect to me! :D The term 'homophobe' (we also have 'Homophobie' in German) is terrible indeed. I remember reading a statement by some famous actor on Fakesbook a while ago saying something like "I don't get the term 'homophobe'. You're not afraid, you're an asshole." That pretty much covered the misuse of the term, I guess. By the way, you can be proud to be the first person whom I ever witnessed using the word 'pithy' since I learned it years ago for a lexicon exam!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:38 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A pleasure. And I shall be somewhat proud, then!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 pm
Forum User

I'm not a regular marijuana smoker, but I do smoke sometimes. I remember visiting one of the Narrow House rehearsals after smoking some weed (the fact I'm not really proud of). And I can tell you that funeral doom can actually send you to space. That experience was kinda funny as I forgot some of the lyrics but tended to play my bass parts right, even though it felt like eternity between the string strikes and I spend those brakes siting on the amplifier and navigating the stars or something.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum User

d.mimøsa wrote:
The smell of cannabis alone makes me wanna puke...

only the smell?
you can always use it in a Vaporiser, so the smell is almost nonexistent

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:19 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I've never tried anything beyond smelling it (and even that wasn't voluntary) and I'm not planning to. :;):

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:26 pm
Forum User

What is a Vaporiser? I've never heard of it.

And what can I say about marijuana. I'm not a sceptic, far from it, but I don't smoke it that often. I like its effect, it relaxes me more than anything else, and it also helps me to meditate.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:55 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Tschusch wrote:
What is a Vaporiser? I've never heard of it.

The internet is your friend. :p

Tschusch wrote:
And what can I say about marijuana. I'm not a sceptic, far from it, but I don't smoke it that often. I like its effect, it relaxes me more than anything else, and it also helps me to meditate.

Well, guess it's my bad being an anti-drug-fanatic, no wonder I can't relax properly. :shrug: On the other hand, there are enough other reasons for that, and if I ever started using any kind of drug, it wouldn't end well.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:40 pm
Forum User

Ah, drugs...never done them nor have felt the slightest interest to try them (or smoking for that matter). Even back when I was doing my digital graphic design degree; even tho I was practically surrounded by people who were into drugs.

Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Vamos wrote:
Ah, drugs...never done them nor have felt the slightest interest to try them (or smoking for that matter). Even back when I was doing my digital graphic design degree; even tho I was practically surrounded by people who were into drugs.

Yep, same here... Apart from the graphic design part, of course.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:28 am
Forum User

My past experiences with substances have been relatively positive. I used to be an avid weed smoker and acid tripper, however until recently my reaction to such hallucinogens shifted from euphoric to constantly being paranoid and uncomfortable whenever under the influence. So in accordance with Pavlov's theory of conditioning, I've since lost any interest to continue experimenting.

I'm baffled by what caused a sudden change in my enjoyment of mind altering substances - disappointed even, though I don't mind unfavorable habits making a quiet exit from my life.

Oh well. At least I still have beer.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That is quite strange - there's no physiological or psychological reason for it to apply to hallucinogens (other than the old mantra that if you expect it to be a bad trip, it probably will be), but evidence that it can be a side-effect of high-THC dope. Maybe it's the weed, not the acid, that was the cause?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:39 am
Forum User

I'm familiar with both theories. I think it may just be the good ol' "state of mind" thing. In my hedonistic years of college I was more opt to experiment and felt no guilt from countercultural behavior, where now (out of college and expected to be well adjusted) each time I partake with marijuana I feel guilty; not necessarily guilty from the act of drug use, but more so that I feel I should be more productive with my time.

That being said, if I smoke while I'm drinking I'm not nearly as bothered by these psychological pangs of irresponsibility. However, the combination of alcohol and weed causes me to pass out early - and that's no fun.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:06 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

My life is so blissfully uncomplicated... :D

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next