Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Democracy? 
Forum User

Post Democracy?

With a first look it seems like the link is in a wrong part of the site but if you start thinking it is deeply political.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/12/mp ... witterfeed

The disease began in the US but it spreads to Europe also.

By the way an oddity from Greece (land of stupidity and past worshiping) a year ago an organizations similar to MPAA and RIAA closed subtilte sites, the subtitle websites were closed down and the greek torrent trackers (based inside Greece) were left alone.

PS. Before someone complain about the comments on Greece, I'm Greek living inside Greece.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 am
Forum User

The Corporations are determined to turn everyone into driveling idiots. By shutting down Wi-Fi, banning Cannibal Corpse albums, and illegalizing Mary-Jane. Stuff like this happens all the time and there is only one thing we can do about it. Listen to Underground Norwegian BM, don't buy at Walmart, don't watch TV, don't eat at McDonalds, and buy Vinyl.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:08 pm
Forum User

Corporations hand in hand with government makes for a better world....for those at the top. :/

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 pm
Forum User

People want freedom, but they also want that the government guides in their lifes and weed out the bad stuff(like, let's say, nazis).For this reason, there will never be a truly free state, at least not in a considerable timespan and within the boundaries of a non anarchist state.Most of us are willing to sacrifice our freedom to have some kind of stability or security(most of the times it's just pure illsuion but that's not the matter), so how we well achieve any freedom if we also want nanny states?

The problem is, we(note that when I say "we" or anything in the plural, I'm refering to the society as a whole and making a generalization) give the government, or the corporations, whatever, the power to censor us, and while i'ts something that is affecting our personal interests, we like it, but when a thing that we liked is banned, we start complaining.Isn't that contradictory?

My point is, if the population is going the support the powerful people in moral crusades or censoring "bad things", they should be prepared to, at any time, loss any of their beloved things because someone deemed it "bad".I'm not supporting this kind of thing in any way, but we have to consider that i'ts not only becase the corporations are greedy bastards that events like this happen, with more and more frequency.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 am
Forum User

freedom in its truest sense is not possible now. deviance will only lead to pain. accept your reality or be doomed.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:08 am
Forum User

B.Jansen wrote:
and there is only one thing we can do about it. Listen to Underground Norwegian BM, don't buy at Walmart, don't watch TV, don't eat at McDonalds, and buy Vinyl.

now i remember why i love reading these types of threads (no ofence to dplastir who is actually making sense :;): )

and as always the constant paradox that without rules there is no freedom. :/

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 am
Forum User

Now I start making no sense in the post I started, muffin man thank you.

To B.Jansen are Cannibal Corpse banned in Netherlands? I thought it happened only in Germany. Because humor lyrics about zombies are more dangerous than drugs, I guess.

To Lúgubre, I agree in some parts with you but we need to understand that private corporations is something you show your middle finger and not something you obey. I never gave permission to my government to give power to censorship me to a third party, and actually I never gave that right to my government either. Anyway my point is that in a losing battle the companies start to take extreme (also stupid and meaningless) measures and they turn against guilty and innocents alike and we choose to ignore it. The question mark doesn't go to governments or societies but to us as persons because when someone starts to talk about society he has already choose silence.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:35 pm
Forum User

No, they were never banned in NL and the bans in Australia and Germany have been lifted. I was just using them as an example.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 pm
Forum User

Orbea Variegata wrote:
Corporations hand in hand with government makes for a better world....for those at the top. :/

Sir, as far as I remember, both Hegel and Marx noticed that there's something about this and in fact, both have seen the corporations and the state to be outside the civil society ("bürgerliche Gesellschaft", best translated as both "civil" and "bourgeoise" society). Some time I've been very interested in the point that there are so many social "bodies" - think of it: heads of states, organs of states, state intelligence... and corporations are reference to the corporeal, eg. the body. My argument here would be that this is something that grants them their existence as 'subjects' and not 'objects', therefore being outside the moral dependence on their citizens.
This actually brings me back to some few more ideas... can there be a true democracy with such an independence from the citizens? I find it to be quite scary, if you consider all the countries that have gone more of these 'privatizations' of public services (Canada, Australia, Great Britain, the US), in most of them a debate about a democratic deficit emerged approx. in the same time (late 80s, early 90s). What yet strikes me is the other side of coin, which hints that the case of China showed something utterly disturbing, and that a non-democratic, human rights violating regime can still be totally efficient on the market-scale, or in different words, that capitalism finally revealed that it can exist without democracy.
Is there anything more to say that we are as fucked as we were in the mid-1800s?

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]