Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:31 pm



Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Good Riddance Free Speech 
Author Message
Forum User

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 pm
Posts: 1356
Reply with quote
Post Good Riddance Free Speech

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... exist.html

Quote:
Using 'Miss' and 'Mrs' has been banned by leaders of the European Union because they are not considered politically correct.

Brussels bureaucrats have decided the words are sexist and issued new guidelines in its bid to create 'gender-neutral' language.

The booklet warns European politicians they must avoid referring to a woman's marital status.

This also means Madame and Mademoiselle, Frau and Fraulein and Senora and Senorita are banned.

Instead of using the standard titles, it is asking MEPs to address women by their names.

And the rules have not stopped there - they also ban MEPs saying sportsmen and statesmen, advising athletes and political leaders should be used instead.

Man-made is also taboo - it should be artificial or synthetic, firemen is disallowed and air hostesses should be called flight attendants.

Headmasters and headmistresses must be heads or head teachers, laymen becomes layperson, and manageress or mayoress should be manager or mayor.

Police officers must be used instead of policeman and policewoman unless the officer's sex is relevant.

The only problem words that do not fit into the guidelines are waiter and waitress, which means MEPs are at least spared one worry when ordering a coffee.

They have reacted with incredulity to the booklet, which has been sent out by the Secretary General of the European Parliament.

Scottish Tory MEP Struan Stevenson described the guidelines as 'political correctness gone mad'.

He said: 'This is frankly ludicrous. We've seen the EU institutions try to ban the bagpipes and dictate the shape of bananas, but now they seem determined to tell us which words we are entitled to use in our own language.

'Gender-neutrality is really the last straw. The Thought Police are now on the rampage in the European Parliament.

'We will soon be told that the use of the words "man" or "woman" has been banned in case it causes offence to those who consider 'gender neutrality' an essential part of life.'

West Midlands Conservative MEP Philip Bradbourn is calling on the Secretary General to reveal who authorised the publication of the booklet and how much it has cost.

He described it as 'a waste of taxpayers' money' and 'an erosion of the English language as we know it'.

'I will have no part of it. I will continue to use my own language and expressions, which I have used all my life, and will not be instructed by this institution or anyone else in these matters,' he said.

'I shall also expect the many translators who sit in the European parliament to translate accurately the language I use. I find this publication offensive in the extreme.

'The Parliament, by the publication of this document, is not only bringing itself as an institution into more disrepute than it already suffers, but it is also showing that it has succumbed to the politically correct clap-trap currently in vogue.'


Now this is one of the stupidest things I have ever read...


Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Posts: 494
Reply with quote
Post 

Heh, the EU thought police. Being called Mrs or Miss is sexist? Is anyone actually offended by being called that? I highly doubt it. This is typical of the kind of bollocks those idiots in Brussels waste their time (and everyone elses money) on.


Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 pm
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:38 pm
Posts: 165
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post 

Does anyone really take any notice of the EU?
Does anyone really take any notice of the Daily Mail?

_________________
http://www.therockofsisyphus.com/


Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Posts: 494
Reply with quote
Post 

But if it's in the Daily Mail it must be true :p


Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:21 am
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 am
Posts: 1445
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Reply with quote
Post 

I somehow think it is fair. I'm often called Mr. despite not married and noone gives a fuck, but for women it has a classifying effect as if it was important if they are married or not -if you just talk. Seems almost like if women were some property that needs to be marked. Or in different words, as if someone's marriage status were important to how we talk. Support.

_________________
Sonic terrorism is too important to be left to ideological amateurs.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:11 pm
Posts: 148
Location: Utrecht - The Netherlands
Reply with quote
Post 

Worm of Na'Ruq wrote:
I somehow think it is fair. I'm often called Mr. despite not married and noone gives a fuck, but for women it has a classifying effect as if it was important if they are married or not -if you just talk. Seems almost like if women were some property that needs to be marked. Or in different words, as if someone's marriage status were important to how we talk. Support.


I didn't see any reasons to ban Mr. and Mrs. but now it makes sense. In that point of view, I support, too.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 am
Posts: 2378
Location: bc, canada
Reply with quote
Post 

that's a valid point, but regardless of if a woman is married or not they still have no rite to dictate how to address someone based on how PC that want the world to be. this is all bull shit.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:55 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 am
Posts: 1445
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Reply with quote
Post 

muffin man wrote:
that's a valid point, but regardless of if a woman is married or not they still have no rite to dictate how to address someone based on how PC that want the world to be. this is all bull shit.

Nope. Meanings are constituted within the structures that are realized through the use of language. You can alter certain meanings that stimulate human action by changing certain ways of how language is used. The question is whether one should. But when it comes to languages, usually feminity is an object of power in the structure of language. In different words, I seek to go to the edge of my grammar's possibility when it comes to formulating my thoughts related to gender. I think its fair and somewhat emancipatory. And I disprove the use of Mrs/Miss in order to associate feminity with its status-as-object instead of allowing it to develop its own subjectivity within the grammar.

_________________
Sonic terrorism is too important to be left to ideological amateurs.


Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 317
Location: Arizona
Reply with quote
Post 

you guys are a bunch of pussies.

it doesn't matter if you APPROVE of language or not, supporting a ban on certain types of it is outright ridiculous. you cannot regulate vocal chords, you can just deal with the shit you don't like. tryng to repress speech is like trying to tell people that they can't have sex. impossible.

_________________
funn! O)))


Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 am
Posts: 1445
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Reply with quote
Post 

perennialsorrow wrote:
you guys are a bunch of pussies.

it doesn't matter if you APPROVE of language or not, supporting a ban on certain types of it is outright ridiculous. you cannot regulate vocal chords, you can just deal with the shit you don't like. tryng to repress speech is like trying to tell people that they can't have sex. impossible.

Bollocks, language is the nexus of all social life. And this is quite contra-Orwellian. The more certain logics bind you to a use of language, the less totalizing may be its powers. And contra chords ( I contend that your comparison was inadequate), which are limited to certain tones, within most languages, you can usually say the same thing in many ways, not to mention numbers of different words - so disapproving one form just transfers itself to the others.

_________________
Sonic terrorism is too important to be left to ideological amateurs.


Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:15 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 11:56 pm
Posts: 317
Location: Arizona
Reply with quote
Post 

you are just spewing bullshit that has nothing to do with what i said, so i am going to just assume we are not arguing the same thing.

_________________
funn! O)))


Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 am
Posts: 2378
Location: bc, canada
Reply with quote
Post 

Worm of Na'Ruq wrote:
muffin man wrote:
that's a valid point, but regardless of if a woman is married or not they still have no rite to dictate how to address someone based on how PC that want the world to be. this is all bull shit.

Nope. Meanings are constituted within the structures that are realized through the use of language. You can alter certain meanings that stimulate human action by changing certain ways of how language is used. The question is whether one should. But when it comes to languages, usually feminity is an object of power in the structure of language. In different words, I seek to go to the edge of my grammar's possibility when it comes to formulating my thoughts related to gender. I think its fair and somewhat emancipatory. And I disprove the use of Mrs/Miss in order to associate feminity with its status-as-object instead of allowing it to develop its own subjectivity within the grammar.


your over complicating an argument in hopes that we wont understand you, but the only part of this with any really significance is that they're attempting to repress the right to free speech, and that point is undeniable no matter how big the words you use are.


Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Posts: 494
Reply with quote
Post 

muffin man wrote:
Worm of Na'Ruq wrote:
muffin man wrote:
that's a valid point, but regardless of if a woman is married or not they still have no rite to dictate how to address someone based on how PC that want the world to be. this is all bull shit.

Nope. Meanings are constituted within the structures that are realized through the use of language. You can alter certain meanings that stimulate human action by changing certain ways of how language is used. The question is whether one should. But when it comes to languages, usually feminity is an object of power in the structure of language. In different words, I seek to go to the edge of my grammar's possibility when it comes to formulating my thoughts related to gender. I think its fair and somewhat emancipatory. And I disprove the use of Mrs/Miss in order to associate feminity with its status-as-object instead of allowing it to develop its own subjectivity within the grammar.


your over complicating an argument in hopes that we wont understand you, but the only part of this with any really significance is that they're attempting to repress the right to free speech, and that point is undeniable no matter how big the words you use are.


Maybe you are over-simplifying, I mean we as men might not care about being called Mr but Mrs or Miss do have additional meanings: Mrs if you are married and Miss if you arent whereas Mr just means you are of the male sex, you'll be called Mr regardless of your marital status. I mean, from my male viewpoint I think the whole thing is stupid but to a woman where terms such as Mrs or Miss actually catagorize you as married or not then it is maybe a little different.


Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 88
Reply with quote
Post 

I love how some people in this thread are trying to be "understanding" towards banning a word, you silly little sheep you.


Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Posts: 494
Reply with quote
Post 

Nope, I just like to talk shit on the internet.
Would you call us sheep if the word was nigger or something like that? Or if I called your grandma a cunt, after all it's just a word and speech is free (not that I would be so rude as to say that word in the presence of anyones grandma). But yeah, you cannot suppress words but there are times and places where certain words are not needed.
I think I've just proven my initial statement to be true :D


Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 88
Reply with quote
Post 

You did not prove anything you silly skinhead grandma-hater, you originally talked about a general standpoint and yet now you are using mine...I do not speak for the whole "nigger" race or all of the "grandma cunts" of the world, just myself...and personally, in all seriousness, I don't really care.
I'm just in my room smoking, listening to Tom Waites singing about a lying bitch in Minneapolis, wondering why I'm typing this and comin' up with no real answers just like the rest of you.
:grumpy:


Last edited by Akashic Sloth on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:38 pm
Posts: 165
Location: England
Reply with quote
Post 

It's funny how every argument I've ever seen in this forum always ends with "I don't care".
That's doomster apathy for you.

_________________
http://www.therockofsisyphus.com/


Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm
Posts: 88
Reply with quote
Post 

Ihsiin wrote:
It's funny how every argument I've ever seen in this forum always ends with "I don't care".
That's doomster apathy for you.

Because the shit on these forums are so much to care about, right?
There's absolutely nothing more to life than caring about the shit going on here, eh? Screw personal problems, doom metal . com is serious business.


Last edited by Akashic Sloth on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm
Posts: 494
Reply with quote
Post 

Akashic Sloth wrote:
You did not prove anything you silly skinhead grandma-hater, you originally talked about a general standpoint and yet now you are using mine...I do not speak for the whole "nigger" race or all of the "grandma cunts" of the world, just myself...and personally, in all seriousness, I don't really care.
I'm just in my room smoking, listening to Tom Waites singing about a lying bitch in Minneapolis, wondering why I'm typing this and comin' up with no real answers just like the rest of you.
:grumpy:


No, I meant I just proved that I talk shit on the internet. I also meant that words that seem fine to some aren't fine to others. Two such words being that C and that N word, as one is crude and the other highly insulting.


Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 am
Profile
Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 5:39 am
Posts: 2378
Location: bc, canada
Reply with quote
Post 

ohh how i love this forum for some twisted reason.... but seriusly how did this go from hating the EU big brother to rantign about people's grandmas???


Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:51 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.