Vanha - Black Lion
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
phone conversation with parents over presidential election 
Forum User

Post phone conversation with parents over presidential election

warning: long and boring, including mindless midnight thoughts in the end, also possible liberal biasm

I'm talking about the current US election ofcourse. I admit my relationship with my family is not great. I was talking to my brother one day and he said that Catholics have an ultimate resolution that no matter what they must vote for the less evil person, which translated to the one who is against abortion. I made a commitment to never discuss politics with any conservatives again. Why am I putting this up? Well I don't know, but I am certainly am not trying to disrespect my family, but this incident just makes me very depressed. Here are some excerpt from the conversation. Some of these sound oddly familiar to you, but I am not adding or taking away anything from the actual conversation.

They: "Who are you going to vote for?"
Me: "I'm just not going to talk about it."

-"You should vote for McCain. In doing so we are repaying to his kindness. When we were immigrating to America he interfere with the legislation and voted for a bill that would let the younger ages people to pass otherwize your siblings would have to stay."

-"McCain is a kind man and he understand people need. He's in the Senate for a long time and have a lot of experience. He was a war hero. He suffered in the prison camp like your dad for years."

-"Don't vote for that bastard Obama. What did Obama ever done? That guy is a new Senator who haven't accomplished anything. He is a bastard that has no actual father. I see all the black people now that they see Obama being elected for president they walks around so proudly, as if Obama part of their family. As if they and Obama came from the same ancestor. They walks around so humbly with their face, I'm afraid if Obama is elected those black guys are going to beat us. Obama and his party, the Democrat, has been for a longtime against the Catholic church, and he is for abortion."

By now you probably know that we are immigrant to US and is probably a "minority" race. Yes I feel somewhat guilty of myself about the McCain pro-immigrant thing, but he seem to be more conservative one that stance now. I felt very depressed after this conversation because it seem to me people can change so much in a lifetime, I didn't feel as if my mom who is a kind person would say some of these things.

Even if one grow up in a nature surrounding he might abandonn his love for it. The law of society changes so fast that what is socially acceptable and not acceptable changes daily, and it's scary that those standards can even be controlled by large corperation base on the fashion and technology that they manufactured, and we readily eagerly make use of those technologies even if we can't comprehend it. Until it comes to a point where so few people are in control of certain things and it isolate the mass from making decision (science, genetics). I just wish some people could think more in term of themselves, rather than what they are being told. Unfortunately some seem not to know who they are until they are told, and for that I have no answer. I remembered after September 11th, I was in NewYork at the time, I remembered everyone was acting kind to each other, now it seemed as if we are back to hating each other, atleast it seem so to me. I wonder how much more do we have to sacrifice for people to begin loving each other again? Or maybe I'm just pessemistic and out of touch.

With respect for my parents, I don't think I can change their mind in this election, but I feel that in a different time in her life she would not have the same opinion as she did now. Also I'm just going to majorly piss off my parents if I started talking about how much I disagree with the Catholic church so I just didn't make any rebuttal. I wish I had to strength to tell them what I think, but I didn't want to make them mad.

For godsakes, I wish I could use the word liberal again as it appeared in the dictionary before President Nixon was elected.

Last edited by tmx on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am
Forum User

sounds like your parents are prejudiced against blacks.

i'm not voting for either candidate. and yes, discussing politics or religion with family members is probably one of the worst things you can do.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND
www.myspace.com/lacedjoint

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 pm
Forum User

i discuss politics and religion with my parents all the time. it is great.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I just feel like it's pointless and just makes people pissed off at each other. Good for you that it works in your family though.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND
www.myspace.com/lacedjoint

Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]