Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
Beer 
Forum User

I think what I had the other night was Wychwood Goblin or Hobgoblin or something like that. Quite nice although deceivingly strong for the taste :p

Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

DSmolken wrote:
I Sabbathi wrote:

Hey, that beer was named after me!

Funny, me too.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:14 am
Forum User

By Qwallath's request, and in spite of the hot weather around these parts...

I often drink hot beer in the winter but I never make any kind of spiced beer. I just take a bottle, put it in a pot of hot water, pop the bottle open (so it doesn't build up too much pressure) and double-boil it for a few minutes.

I usually do this with a Baltic porter but English porters, stouts, Scotch ales and some Belgian ales are also suitable. Basically anything on the strong and dark side but preferably not too hoppy (so no Arrogant Bastard). Certain fruit beers are very good. The one time I heated up a cranberry lambic was delicious but I wouldn't recommend doing that indoors as it makes your whole house smell like wild yeast.

The best hot beer I've ever had was Quelque Chose from Unibroue. It's a strong ale which spends a few months aging with cherries soaking in it.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Alice wrote:
I think what I had the other night was Wychwood Goblin or Hobgoblin or something like that. Quite nice although deceivingly strong for the taste :p

Hobgoblin, good stuff :) They serve that on cask at the Market Tavern in Bradford.... i got battered!!

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:27 pm
Forum User

Oli wrote:
Alice wrote:

Hobgoblin, good stuff :) They serve that on cask at the Market Tavern in Bradford.... i got battered!!

Dooo they? Image

Was that when we saw HFC and The Prophecy a while back? I don't remember seeing it on.. although I don't remember much at all :p

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

DSmolken wrote:
By Qwallath's request, and in spite of the hot weather around these parts...

I often drink hot beer in the winter but I never make any kind of spiced beer. I just take a bottle, put it in a pot of hot water, pop the bottle open (so it doesn't build up too much pressure) and double-boil it for a few minutes.

I usually do this with a Baltic porter but English porters, stouts, Scotch ales and some Belgian ales are also suitable. Basically anything on the strong and dark side but preferably not too hoppy (so no Arrogant Bastard). Certain fruit beers are very good. The one time I heated up a cranberry lambic was delicious but I wouldn't recommend doing that indoors as it makes your whole house smell like wild yeast.

The best hot beer I've ever had was Quelque Chose from Unibroue. It's a strong ale which spends a few months aging with cherries soaking in it.

Sounds good! I think I'll try this when next it gets cold.

I think up here in Fryslân they have a recipe which mixes beer, syrup and brandywine and heats that up. I guess that'll take care o' ya.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Alice wrote:
Oli wrote:
Alice wrote:

Dooo they? Image

Was that when we saw HFC and The Prophecy a while back? I don't remember seeing it on.. although I don't remember much at all :p

Yea, it was then- it was only on in the 'old man' bit upstairs, and not in the basement where the stage was ;) I remember running to get the bus- only just made it :p

DSmolken: That hot beer sounds good, i'll have to try it this winter :)

Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:59 pm
Forum User

A good article on hot beer:

http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/warmbeer.htm

There are also various beer soup recipes. This was the most traditional breakfast in medieval Poland - beer boiled (so the alcohol evaporates), sweetened with honey and thickened with something such as eggs, butter, white cheese and bread. Spices optional. I haven't seen any recipes like that in English, though.

Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Greene King IPA or Dragon Jamaican Stout!

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

DSmolken wrote:
A good article on hot beer:

http://www.northamericanbrewers.org/warmbeer.htm

There are also various beer soup recipes. This was the most traditional breakfast in medieval Poland - beer boiled (so the alcohol evaporates), sweetened with honey and thickened with something such as eggs, butter, white cheese and bread. Spices optional. I haven't seen any recipes like that in English, though.

English peasants used to make pottage. Basically a soup / stew of whatever vegetables they had. Mostly Turnip & Lettuce. They would let some of it dry out in a warm pot & then take the dried pottage to work the next day so that at lunchtime they could mix it with some Beer & have it for lunch.

The Polish recipe sounds much better though.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Cleaning the cabinets in my kitchen gave me the opportunity to take this picture:

The Carta Blanca bottle contains a homebrewed copy of Thomas Harvey's Ale, now two years old. Saving it for a really special occasion.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Greetings.. i love a good beer thread. Almost as much as a good beer...

Here you cannot buy beer that is greater than 6% alcohol or containers larger than 16 oz. Very hard to find anything great. Because of the general apathy towards beer most brewers and/or their distributors dont sell their products here even if it would be legal.

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is one of my favorites. I haven't tried a stout or porter I didn't like. Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies :D (addendum: unless its a good hefe weizen :) ).

Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:02 pm
Forum User

Duvel was disappointing, actually :S
Belhaven, on the other hand... :drool:

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum User

Babylon wrote:
Duvel was disappointing, actually

I can't fathom how that's possible... I think I'm going to cry now. Was it ice-cold or something?

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

no, just disappointing :shrug: I'm not a "connoisseur" of beer and maybe I missed something, but for my taste it wasn't as good as I was told it was.

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum User

I generally only drink good American beer. Preferably Samuel Adams, Full Sail or anything by North Coast Brewery.
Most of the European beers I keep hearing that make supposed great Ale, Stout and Pilsner I yet to find anything terrific. Though I like Heineken alot, Samuel Smith's beers (Taddy Porter , Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout ) and I love that Italin Peroni which my local Italin restaurant has. A couple Mexican beers like Carta Blanca, Dos XX lager and Corona. Canada's Moosehead is good. Other then that, American beer last couple of decades has started making the best beer....mostly thanks to the ideas coming from microbreweries.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:56 am
Forum User

Yes there's still good American beer. I've not tried a Samuel Adams that I didnt like, but then again I haven't tried them all. I just drank a cream stout tonight in fact. I also like some Sierra Nevada, Rogue, Brooklyn, and Sweetwater beers.

When I travel I want to try North Coast's Old Rasputin, along with the Stone beers such as Arrogant Bastard but most importantly the Imperial Russian Stout.

Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:51 am
Forum User

the Executioner Undead wrote:
When I travel I want to try North Coast's Old Rasputin, along with the Stone beers such as Arrogant Bastard but most importantly the Imperial Russian Stout.

See if you can also find North Coast's Old Stock Ale. They don't brew it year-round but it's awesome, especially if you let it age a few years.

I haven't tried this particular beer but I'm posting it because it just looks soooooooooooo METAL:

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Greentea wrote:
I generally only drink good American beer. Preferably Samuel Adams, Full Sail or anything by North Coast Brewery.
Most of the European beers I keep hearing that make supposed great Ale, Stout and Pilsner I yet to find anything terrific. Though I like Heineken alot, Samuel Smith's beers (Taddy Porter , Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout ) and I love that Italin Peroni which my local Italin restaurant has. A couple Mexican beers like Carta Blanca, Dos XX lager and Corona. Canada's Moosehead is good. Other then that, American beer last couple of decades has started making the best beer....mostly thanks to the ideas coming from microbreweries.

Haha. Good American beer... stop it please... haha!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 am
Forum User

Beerman wrote:
Haha. Good American beer... stop it please... haha!

Many breweries like North Coast, Dogfish Head, Stone, Avery and Rouge consistently make great versions of classic British beer styles, often with more malt, hops and alcohol.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next