Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Marrige, what is the point? 
Forum User

A married couple may reach their golden wedding anniversary without ever having thought of divorce, but not without ever having thought of murder. :;):

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:37 pm
Profile YIM
Forum User

the point of marriage is so that you can be married for 50 years then get a telegram from the queen.

isnt it?

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

The label "traditional doom" applies to most marriages. It is about as irrational as monogamy and just as stupid as mankind.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:28 am
Profile WWW
Hmm, someone in my old class still on secondary school said marriage should be abolished as it served no purpose, while I, myself, would never marry I found that wholly a lack of empathy and said to him that some view it as a way of expressing their love. To which he replied 'There are other ways of showing love.' I asked him the question question if he would be just as content if he were not able to hug his girlfriend any more because there are other ways of showing and asked him tot think about that.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:48 am
People used to marry to bring peace to two countries. Princes and princesses marry a lot.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 pm
Forum User

marriage ?

shit ! the human animal is too weak and evil to be married . humans are just good to eat , fuck and shit .
i'm an human . and i am just good to do these 3 things plus making sad music .

when your parents divorce you understand the stupidity of marriage . never i will marry my girlfriend .

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:00 pm
cloudsofpain wrote:
marriage ?

shit ! the human animal is too weak and evil to be married . humans are just good to eat , fuck and shit .
i'm an human . and i am just good to do these 3 things plus making sad music .

when your parents divorce you understand the stupidity of marriage . never i will marry my girlfriend .
I doubt children will discriminate between their parents breaking up influenced by the formality of 'marriage'.

I never knew my father, by the way.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:23 pm
Forum User

Jelle wrote:
The label "traditional doom" applies to most marriages. It is about as irrational as monogamy and just as stupid as mankind.

I should know, it's my fourth aniversary today! :laugh:

I think that most people don't get that marriage has both a legal/economic part and a love/feelings part, the main problem is that the former stays even if the latter's gone. :laugh:

Traditionally, the point of marriage has always been organizing family ties and assuring the reproduction of a society and it's values. That marriage is somehow associated to love is a fairly modern idea, and still today is not universal.

Personally, I think the point of marriage today is mostly declaring your love to someone on a very public and binding way, but I don't believe in marriage for life or as part of a religious rite.

Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 pm
Forum User

To me, it's a form of "cement". I couldn't explain it otherwise, but after a while, I simply KNEW in myself that I had to ask her. I wouldn't have minded if the answer had been "NO", and it wouldn't have make me drop her or be less in love...

I understand people who don't want to get married, even those who loathe the idea, still to me it was an important point as a way to express my love to the one which is now my wife. I must say that getting married hasn't changed anything in our relation, we're still as in love as on the first day. And of course, there's the economical part, in the case something bad happen to one of us.

@cloudsofpain : I'm a child of a divorced couple, and this was a very very bad one. My wife also is child of a divorced couple, and she hasn't seen her father in the past 20 years (he simpky decided to leave after the divorce, and never made any contact since). Still, I don't think that marriage is stupid, as it's a commitment of one people to another (at least, the way I see it)...but you should never get married if you don't think you'll fulfill that commitment. Nowadays, young couple get married easily, and they don't think about tomorrow, of the fact that maybe one day their story will end.

I mean, in my case, I've asked after having long thought about it. It wasn't like If I had woke up and said "Oh yeah, let's ask her today so I can get on with it and get another coffee". Also, despite both of us being kinda religious people, we didn't do it to the Church (spending week-end with other couples talking of wedding, answering to personal questions asked by people we don't know...c'mon, is it the bloody Inquisition or a wedding we're doing?).

I think that you get married to show something, either to the one your love, to others or maybe to yourself. I think it's the usual explanation, in any case I couldn't explain well why I have done it. It was just, imo and in my case, the logical course of events, and I haven't regretted it.

BANDS/LABELS : PM if interested in getting the contacts for both the magazine and the webzine

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:34 pm
Forum User

Metal Chef wrote:
the point of marriage is so that you can be married for 50 years then get a telegram from the queen.

isnt it?

/thread

You sir, have won it.

I'm quite apathetic to the whole marriage issue, just like how I'm apathetic to religion and basically everything else in this world (except my d00mz, beers and lolcats).

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:28 am
Forum User

nobody is going to be able to explain marriage to you if you already have your mind made up.

marriage is a wonderful thing, if done correctly.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:03 pm
Forum User

ps,

monogamy has solid roots in biology.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:08 pm
Forum User

I personally believe marriage can be a good thing but not the whole religious ceremony. Just a small ceremony to show true commitment etc. Here in Canada you're considered to have a social marriage if you live with the same person for 3 years I believe so the religious ceremony really has no advantages what so ever. It's really just to show commitment and have a ceremony that demonstrates the love between two people. However, I find it completely stupid to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on such a ceremony. To me, it just has to be really small, it's more about the symbolism than anything. Especially the ring part etc. But meh, whatever floats your boat I guess.

To asbestos... anything can be a wonderful thing it all depends on perception. Secondly, is the double post really necessary? The edit function exists. Finally, show us proof of that? Many cultures around the world are polygamous and there aren't many animals in the world that always return to the same partner. There's also a fairly large amount of animals that just mate with anyone they can.

Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 pm
Forum User

Quote:
To asbestos... anything can be a wonderful thing it all depends on perception.

Not sure how that pertains to this discussion...

Quote:
Secondly, is the double post really necessary?

No, but it also is not hurting anyone so there is no need to care on your part.

Quote:
The edit function exists.

Right.

Quote:
Finally, show us proof of that? Many cultures around the world are polygamous and there aren't many animals in the world that always return to the same partner. There's also a fairly large amount of animals that just mate with anyone they can.

We're talking about human biology here, not animals in a wider scope.

Its simple. Human babies are amongst the most vulnerable (physically and emotionally) of all primate infants and thus the parents that created the child stay together to increase its chance of survival and success once the infant matures. This is a life long committment.

There are of course other animals that do something very similar to this, but I cant give you any definite examples off the top of my head.

If I'm not mistaken, Dolphins would be another example. Dont quote me on this though.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 am
Forum User

Well, since I am getting married on saturday I guess you know where I stand ;) Why, you ask, because I love my girl and am planning on spending the rest of my life with her. Marriage is, for us, a way of solidify the bond between us, I guess you could say. And the wedding is also a great occasion to bring both our families together for some bonding, since they don't really know each other. I'm not totally in for the whole religious part, to be honest, but not getting married in the church wouldn't be that much of a ceremony to remember. Call me a hypocrite, but that's how it is.

As for children, we're trying for that too :) Why? I believe a child that comes from love is a most wonderful thing. That sounded so cheesy, but hopefully it explained my feelings :P

I could probably elaborate on both issues, but I am too tired and too hungry right now.

Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

d.mimøsa wrote:
a child would be the worst nightmare I can possibly imagine.

I'd like the echo that sentiment.

On to the main topic of the thread, I see myself maybe getting married in the future. I do like the idea of pledging commitment. I don't, however, like the unnecessary extravagance of weddings. I also am opposed to a lot of the trappings of traditional weddings, especially the idea of ownership.

Fri May 09, 2008 3:58 am
Forum User

Marriage is beautiful.

Tue May 13, 2008 10:56 pm
Forum User

Funeral Tragedian wrote:
Marriage is beautiful.

Why?

What is so beauitful about going to city hall on monday morning to get a piece of paper?

Wed May 14, 2008 2:14 pm
Forum User

Well if you want to put it that way, marriage can also be convenient.

Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 pm
Forum User

Karnagoz wrote:
Well if you want to put it that way, marriage can also be convenient.

True, if you produce offspring it can be convenient for legal reasons.

Thu May 15, 2008 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next