Radioactive
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Smoking 
Forum User

I don't smoke myself, but I used to spend quite a lot of time with my friends in those shisha cafes. It was brilliant; simply a nice, warm, cosy place to go a waste a few hours. Now, with the smoking ban in place we're generally stuck for a place to go.
Bloody government.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

@kris: ahahah, if you like to come over with me and a couple of friends we would be more than happy to bring you there :D

It's a place called Moonshine, it's not that near the place where you'll be playing (here you can see the map... I hope - EDIT no you can't ), it's got a couple of rooms. One's the main room, filled with some kitsch and baroque furniture but still nice and warm. The pub's owner usually spins noise/rock/metal/industrial CDs, more often he plays VCR with old live concerts. I remember seeing some '70s Black Sabbath, Mad Season, Nine Inch Nails, Sonic Youth, even John Zorn.
Then there's the backroom, which used to be a yard I think. Walls and a roof has been made, there's a green carpet, some very low tables and, how are they called?, poufs and cushions. And the nice thing is you can in fact smoke weed, freely. I guess the police knows what goes on in there every night, but they just ignore it, dunno why.
It's not the cleanest and cutest place you can go in Milan, the toilet has some kind of "Trainspotting-like" feeling, but it's quiet, friendly and they serve a lot of different beers - in fact, the owner goes in Belgium twice a year, moving from monastery to monastery, and coming back with dozens of different brews.

Here's a pic of the main room. :O

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:27 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Looks awesome! Introduce yourself to us after the show, its always nice to meet people off this site.

Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Von wrote:
Neither there are in drinking, or smoking weed, or even in eating at McDonald's, PoA :D
And, if you look closely at the subject, you will see that most of what we do is done in an unhealthy kind of way. Listening to music at high volumes can hurt your ears, walking in the streets of Milan is worse than smoking a cigarette... OK, that's no excuse for ruining your health a little more smoking, but you see, smoking tastes good. It's unhealthy, but it's nice to smoke, that's the point.

And then again, if one is aware of the dangers of smoking and just doesn't quit it, it's his personal choice, isn't it? No one forces you to smoke, still tobacco tastes good. So yes, there is a benefit indeed. Hedonistic, irresponsible, but still a benefit.

(haven't smoked for three days now, have smoked three cigarettes in the whole last week. Me rules \m/)

All the things I would have answered have already been said.
I can see what you mean by the benefits of smoking, but compared to other drugs the effect is rather small.
In which way smoking tastes good beats me though...

Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

The Black Goat wrote:
There should just be a sign outside pubs.

People can smoke in here if they want to, if you dont like it, dont go in.

In general, you're right there, but what about gigs? I think that there should be a separate law for gigs. If a band you like plays at a venue within reasonable distance and the venue allows smoking, you don't really have a choice. You're forced to enter the venue and bear the smoking if you want to see the band, so in a way, non-smokers would be discriminated at concerts, if you know what I mean.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:08 am
Forum User

Smokers complain about not being able to smoke at gigs over here, but the way I see it is, they are inconvenienced for like 3 hours, and they can easily walk outside for one during anyway.

A non-smoker though has to spend three hours breathing in smoke that they know can cause cancer, hardly the same type of discrimination is it.

Oh no, I have to stand outside in the cold Vs Oh no, I could get cancer here.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Absolutely agreed. Smoking is a free decision after all, and if you decide to start or continue smoking, you're aware of the disadvantages as well. You can't expect others to tolerate the consequences of your superficial enjoyment. It's just like people chose to show some tourette symptoms and scream "fucker" into everyone's ears until they get an irreversible tinnitus. Most likely they would be thrown out of the venue sooner or later.

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Forum User

Gave up the ciggies just over three years ago. I dont miss them at all. Thinking about it now there were 'no benefits' of smoking them. Saying you are trying to give up is bollocks if you ask me, same as "I'm cutting down". If you really want to give up you will, anything else is just making excuses. You dont need all these patches and stuff either just a bit of willpower. I smoked loads, I never thought in a million years I could give up but I did.
The one thing I've noticed now though is how much tobacco smokers smell, sorry guys/girls but you stink real bad :p

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:01 am
Forum User

Humm, I'd suggest everyone here to enjoy this vid:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=22376890

(I wonder what mess do the japs smoke then :p )

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:21 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Impressive video, even though I don't have any sound here.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 am
Now you've done it, I'm trying to stop smoking since yesterday because of you guys.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:40 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Remember master Yoda's words: Do or do not. There is no try.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:37 pm
Forum User

I thought about starting smoking because of the stupid ban in the UK. I don't like it though so I'll stick to snuff when I need a hit of nicotine.

I've noticed the 'other smells' in pubs & clubs as well. I prefer the smell of smoke to the smell of stale Beer, vomit, toilets & armpits. I do appreciate the fact that I don't stink like an ashtray after gigs though, especially ones I'm playing.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Von wrote:
@kris: ahahah, if you like to come over with me and a couple of friends we would be more than happy to bring you there :D

It's a place called Moonshine, it's not that near the place where you'll be playing (here you can see the map... I hope - EDIT no you can't ), it's got a couple of rooms. One's the main room, filled with some kitsch and baroque furniture but still nice and warm. The pub's owner usually spins noise/rock/metal/industrial CDs, more often he plays VCR with old live concerts. I remember seeing some '70s Black Sabbath, Mad Season, Nine Inch Nails, Sonic Youth, even John Zorn.
Then there's the backroom, which used to be a yard I think. Walls and a roof has been made, there's a green carpet, some very low tables and, how are they called?, poufs and cushions. And the nice thing is you can in fact smoke weed, freely. I guess the police knows what goes on in there every night, but they just ignore it, dunno why.
It's not the cleanest and cutest place you can go in Milan, the toilet has some kind of "Trainspotting-like" feeling, but it's quiet, friendly and they serve a lot of different beers - in fact, the owner goes in Belgium twice a year, moving from monastery to monastery, and coming back with dozens of different brews.

Here's a pic of the main room. :O

jesus christ! moonshine still exist! i used to go there 8-10 years ago...

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:06 pm
Forum User

I did my last smoke 2 weeks ago and so far, so good.

How are you holding up, Cruel Shoes?
Cruel Shoes wrote:
Now you've done it, I'm trying to stop smoking since yesterday because of you guys.

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:58 am
Profile WWW
I'm smoking again. I could hold it up for just a week

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:30 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

A week? Weak!

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:24 am
Forum User

I enjoy looking at smoke coming out of my mouth for almost 8 years.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:02 pm
Forum User

for these trying to stop:
(don't know if it works ...)

I present you : THE ELECTRIC CIGARETTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-cigarette
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... _id=488991

http://www.e-markus.com/2007/11/06/crow ... te-review/ (review)

even a Forum:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/phpBB3 ... 498312468a

Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:45 am
Forum User

Well, not long ago I tried a cigar for the first time. I can't say it had an immediate affect, but already I want another one.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next