Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Favourite Philosophers 
Forum User

Post Favourite Philosophers

Who are your favourite philosophers and why. What key texts or ideas by them do you find most inspiring.

For me the work of Carl Jung particularly his explorations of the collective unconscious are very important to me.
Hegel, as his idealist belief in an unfolding grand narrative of the universe is while almost certainly misguided is none the less inspirational for anyone who is active in the pursuit of knowledge.
Michel Foucault, because he's cool and his History of sexuality Vol 1 is one of the first philosophy books I read which had a revelatory impact on me.

Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:29 pm
Forum User

I used to studu moral philosophy and I like Merleau-Ponty (my thesis was about his view of the mind-body problem), Shusterman Richard and John Dewey ('Art as experience' is a modern classic and very inspiring). Spinoza and his 'ethica', I like aswell.

Come to think, I can go on and on...I read a lot in my study but not enough and these I hardly find the time to get to some reading...

Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Confucius. ^.^

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:11 pm
Forum User

Fuck philosophers...been there, done that.

May I suggest you go for "psychological thinkers" instead...like indeed Jung, Nietzsche and Robert Anton Wilson. Or your money back.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Camus and Wittgenstein both managed to break my mind and make no attempt to fix it. And I love them for it.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:47 am
Forum User

Doomintroll wrote:
Fuck philosophers...been there, done that.

May I suggest you go for "psychological thinkers" instead...like indeed Jung, Nietzsche and Robert Anton Wilson. Or your money back.

Nietzsche, a pychological thinker?! :spank:

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I don't need philosophers oder other people to tell me what to think.
(Or at least I don't want them to.)

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:54 am
Propably Diogenes of Sinope, though I don't really read that much.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:28 pm
Forum User

Enki wrote:

Philosophers oder? I don't know what they smell like. Their books probably smell nicer than they do... :laugh:

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Blizzard Beast wrote:
Enki wrote:

Philosophers oder? I don't know what they smell like. Their books probably smell nicer than they do... :laugh:

Haha, didn't recognize it till now... :D Stupid native language.

Of course I meant "philosophers or other people".

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:21 pm
Forum User

Myself :D

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:15 am
Profile YIM
Forum User

Doomintroll wrote:
May I suggest you go for "psychological thinkers" instead...like... Robert Anton Wilson.

When I saw the subject heading I was curious if anyone would select Wilson. He was certainly an interesting guy. I have tremendous respect for him. A girl I once worked with (who was from Australia) introduced me to him about 16 years ago. Her mother was hired to take care of him after his wife died and the polio became a greater challenge. My friend eventually moved with them to Santa Cruz and then England I think. I lost track of her. But a magazine called Ben is Dead had just at that time run an interview with Wilson and Timothy Leary (who is someone I spent quite a bit of time around back in the early 90s). Tim seemed to be on auto-pilot a lot, and his best ideas had been significantly harvested years earlier. He was still very interesting, but in a quaint, nostalgic way. Wilson on the other hand was seemingly at the height of his prowess. He had me doing brain exercises and taught me some great quick intuition techniques within ten minutes of talking to me.
I came a cross a great quotte from that article. It addresses the idea of Hell from the Judeo-Christian POV:

I very much doubt there's a Hell because it sort of makes a bad joke out of life. Who created Hell? Presumably God, or the Devil did it with God’s permission and supervision. I don’t believe in that kind of God or that kind of Devil. Who’s in Hell anyway? The universe has so many, as Carl Sagan says, “billions and billions” of galaxies with “billions and billions” of star systems, most of which probably have planets with all sorts of life forms… why would God (presuming there is some sort of God behind all of this) pick us out of the whole universe and decide that if it didn’t like our behavior it’s going to torture us for an infinite number of years? I can’t believe in that. I mean, the ordinary Sadists get tired after a certain period of time and have to rest. The idea of a Divinity so sadistic that it can go on for an infinite number of years torturing creatures from one planet is obviously the delusion of some kind of paranoid and unbalanced individual. There’s still a lot of nuts around, and they start religions. People who get unbalanced in certain ways get followers who believe in their paranoid visions, but I don’t. If you left it up to me, I can’t think of anybody I would put in Hell. There are some people I would put in prison for life because they are too dangerous to be allowed to wander loose, but I wouldn’t put them in Hell for an infinite number of years! That’s unbelievably sadistic! Even the Marquis de Sade read books, wrote books, went to the opera, etc. He didn’t spend all his time torturing people, which is what this God is supposed to be doing.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:28 am
Profile WWW
The problem with most philosophy (Plato, Nietzsche, to some extend Descartes, well essentially the whole lot safe for a few) is that these people use extreme intuïtive and incoherent reasoning. They are amateurs of though mostly, like Schopenhauer debating endlessly what makes 'a good human' or 'free will' without giving a proper definition of both terms firstly, surely one cannot take something like that seriously? Nietzsche and Plato are the worst in this, I doubt Nietzsche has ever even written down his reasoning, he was not a thinker he was a critique, who outed unfunded criticism. And I cannot take anything continental in philosophy serious, how can one honestly think about morale and ethics, these people never thought or reasoned, the wrote down their intuïtions. I also find it a tad styleless in a work I can take seriously to make a conclusion of the form 'x is true' it should be 'if y_1, y_2...y_n are true, then x is true'.

I am more interested in certain philosophical arguments and constructs than the people behind it, a good philosophical construct is properly written down which allows others to reason further with it so that it may become a work of anyone, not something intuïtive like Plato comparing the platonic solids to the five elements. My favourite concepts include:

- æternalism
- nihilism
- the idea that inherently, meaning cannot exist (somewhat part of nihilism)
- quantum immortality
- string theory (yes, this is philosophy and not physics)
- the resolution of the paradox 'No truth exist, this sentence is not true' (I cannot believe serious philosophers fall for this paradox, it shows their grand ineptness to reason)

And I really have no idea who first came with these concepts.

Last edited by frublz on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am
Forum User

There are some "philosophies" less formal than those of the Philosophers most known to mankind.. Texts such as "Faust" by Goethe conceive many concepts that may be seen as Philosophy, and have some deep thoughts about life and about choice. Philosophy tends to be a "science" when it should be seen just as a way of understanding nature, ouselves, life.. the universe. We all are Philosophers in our own way.. I know I have mine, and I stick to it, because I am the person most interested in understanding myself and no one knows me better than myself..

Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Fyodor Dostoevsky.

The Brothers Karamazov is probably his most philosophical work, as opposed to his psychological insights. Long-winded to an extent, but highly thought provoking, as are all his works.

The Idiot & Notes From The Underground been my personal favourites.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:16 am
Forum User

Personally I find the existential philosophy most interesting.

(in no particular order)

Martin Heidegger
Emil Cioran
Søren Kierkegaar
Friedrich Nietzsche
Jean-Paul Sartre

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:11 pm
Forum User

Ekstasis.

Would it be a shock to you if i said that Nietzsches' only skill was in his classical education as a philologistist. A priced skill neither the less. The rest he copied from Dostoevsky?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 pm
Nietzsche was an idiot who simply wrote down his intuïtions, you can only like him because you agree with his conclusions. He never gave any reasoning behind it, his work cannot be built upon or be properly discussed, it is a worthless effort in philosophy.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:14 pm
Forum User

Antonio Gramsci Image

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I love Theodor Adorno because of his writings on Postmodernism, kitsch and high art and culture in general. He said reason has become irrational, that all we care about is how to achieve our goals without even reflecting upon the nature of the goal itself (instrumentalized reason). I mean, everthing he wrote is absolutely relevant, I can't even sum it up here.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next