Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Ayn Rand's works 
Forum User

Post Ayn Rand's works

Ayn Rand is a very controversial author in that many people find her novels to be brilliant, while others think she is a joke.

Personally, I find The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged to be awesome novels. They aren't written in a mindblowing fashion, but the scope and philosophy presented in the novels are very inspiring. I find that her novels reaffirm my beliefs in individualism, but I do have some problems with some scenes in her novel.

What's your thoughts?

NYHC HARDCORE BAND
www.myspace.com/lacedjoint

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:53 am
Forum User

My only problems with Ayn Rand's works are her novels aren't novels as much as philosophical treatises dressed up.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 am
Forum User

well, no shit. most philosophers do it that way. also, rand is a great author and always will be good in my book for what she did for the good of free-market economics and rational classical liberalism.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:36 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

The prose isn't worth anything, but both Fountainhead and Atlas are basically a philosophical argument in the form of a novel.

I really like her views on capitalism as well.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:41 am
Forum User

I would much rather read The Virtue of Selfishness or the Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology than Atlas Shrugged or any other of her "fiction" works.

Good philosopher - terrible fiction author.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 am
Forum User

I placed in the 91 percentile in the Atlas Shrugged essay contest for college students. I didn't get a $ prize but they are sending me The Virtue of Selfishness in the mail so I'm ready for that shit to hit the stoop.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:40 am
Forum User

It's definitely worth a read through.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 pm
Forum User

SAMSQUANCH wrote:
I would much rather read The Virtue of Selfishness or the Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology than Atlas Shrugged or any other of her "fiction" works.

Good philosopher - terrible fiction author.

I disagree. Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are both brilliant, while The Virtue of Selfishness is pure tripe. Her philosophy is too idealistic for the average man. Though, it works well in a fictional context with characters who aren't fettered by the inner struggles that people face on a day to day basis. According to Rand's philosophy, I should pack up my bags, hit the highway, and let all my loved ones fend for themselves. "Do not live your life for others" aye?

Go watch Revolutionary Road. Her ethos is best described by Cata Blanchett's character, while the verity of existence lies with Dicaprio's character.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:51 am
Forum User

I am no where near familiar with her beliefs or work, but isn't it possible to still live for yourself while caring for your "loved ones"? I would think living for yourself is doing what you want and only what you want, isn't is possible to want to take care of your "loved ones", as you say it?

(Or am I just writing gibberish?)

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:04 am
Forum User

Thisfuckingguy wrote:
I disagree. Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are both brilliant, while The Virtue of Selfishness is pure tripe. Her philosophy is too idealistic for the average man. Though, it works well in a fictional context with characters who aren't fettered by the inner struggles that people face on a day to day basis.

Her novels are shit because her prose is absolutely atrocious, the plots move at a snail's pace and the characters are boring, one dimensional supermen who serve only to act as a deus ex machina for a specific aspect of her philosophy.

ReigninAcai wrote:
According to Rand's philosophy, I should pack up my bags, hit the highway, and let all my loved ones fend for themselves. "Do not live your life for others" aye?

Nonsense - for most people protecting, helping, and otherwise supporting your loved ones supports rational self-interest.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:12 am
Forum User

I think the most controversial things about her novels is that there is always a controversial scene that jeopardizes the validity of her philosophies. For example: the scene in Atlas Shrugged when Dagny murders someone blocking her path, and the Fountainhead's infamous rape scene.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that Angelina Jolie, a person who is known for her massive amounts of charity work, is cast to play Dagny Taggart, a woman who does not care to contributing to social causes?

Hollywood is really filled with a bunch of dolts.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm
Forum User

She wouldn't have got so much attention lately if it wasn't for Bioshock.

Now every hack gaming journalist and moronic fanboy will pound your ears in about her and her "philosophy". Not very different from those who, in their mind, rise to the status of intellectual after watching 2-3 Discovery documentaries.

~Uncyclopedia on Evolution

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:41 am
Forum User

she's not one of my favorites. i just don't buy most of her ideas. not that i don't get them, they can just be so airy in my opinion.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:36 am
Forum User

I dig Rand! I first read Anthem when I was like 14, I loved it and I quickly got into Objectivism... I pretty much agree with the majority of it still..

I do think that most of her fiction is a little too long though. She was able to make her philosophical points in Anthem perfectly, and that is barely more than 100 pages. I think that this was possibly due to the fact that in the Philosophical world people tend not to take people seriously if they write in a straight forward manner...

I remember Bertrand Russel saying something about that in one of his books, about how the reason he could get away with it was that he had written so much dense and hard to read shit in the past...

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Bioshock? The game? Is it somehow based on her stuff or something?

Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

I just read Anthem for the first time this year. I liked it and it was enjoyable enough that I ordered Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead to read later.

click here, ya bastid! ---> Stone Groove Records

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I want to hear this thing about the Bioshock video game... I have no idea what the connection is. I'm interested.

I think she's receiving more interest lately because everything she said that would happen to the U.S. economic system is true: government getting in businesses, bailouts, etc.

Best joke... I was watching Red Eye on Fox News and this girl was like, "I mean Ayn Rand, everything she said is coming true." And the host replied, "Ayn Rand? Never heard of him."

NYHC HARDCORE BAND

Mon May 17, 2010 2:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]