SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Currently reading.... 
Forum User

Post Re: Currently reading....

In december, I enjoyed reading the Tony Iommi biography "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath". I love reading rock biographies. Ozzy's biography was outstandingly hilarious, but Iommi's biography is funny and recommendable as well.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:52 pm
Forum User

Reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It was kinda hard to get this style of story telling at the beginning but then it became pretty interesting read. A really global view on zombie apocalypse, that's for sure. I wonder how the hell they're going to show this stuff on TV with Brad Pitt.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Yngve Frøyen: Forfedrene
Plus yet another psychological textbook :)

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 pm
Forum User

Bewitched wrote:
Reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. It was kinda hard to get this style of story telling at the beginning but then it became pretty interesting read. A really global view on zombie apocalypse, that's for sure. I wonder how the hell they're going to show this stuff on TV with Brad Pitt.

I was really hoping they wouldn't do a narrative and keep it more in line with scattered accounts, almost like Crash or Babel, but I still cannot wait for it to come out.

I just finished reading The Lord Of The Rings for the first time. I read The Hobbit before that, and now I'm going to pick up The Silmarillion. I feel like I understand so much more about Blind Guardian now. I also don't know why there aren't more doom or death metal bands based around Tolkien works. There are a ton of black metal bands, but that's not my cup of tea.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ocean of Ghosts wrote:

I also don't know why there aren't more doom or death metal bands based around Tolkien works.

Because only Lovecraft is real.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Ocean of Ghosts wrote:

I also don't know why there aren't more doom or death metal bands based around Tolkien works.

Because only Lovecraft is real.

And because Tolkien, despite the occasional grim or serious moment, is far more suited to elves'n'fairies prog-rock than anything else. The good guys always win in the end, and most of them are quite happy skipping around peaceful, sunlit places like The Shire and Rivendell...it's a tough gig getting very much Doom out of a narrative like that...

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I hated the film trilogy for the reasons you say! so expected! bing bang, swords and sorcery, bziiing, boooom. Yoohoo, let's all celebrate our victory, kiss-kiss, bye-bye! The End.

That's all I remember of it.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've only seen two films (first and last), but I didn't mind them... :D

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:05 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I do enjoy reading Tolkien, and the LoTR films were extremely well done.

It's just not very doomy source material imo...

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:

there are doomy bits or, better, there are very doomy bits in the story. Don't ask me where, because I don't remember! :D

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:19 pm
Forum User

I'm currently reading a book written by my girlfriend. She has published it recently. It's about a man, who killed a drug dealer, just to meet a crazy girl, who sees things nobody else does, yay.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

is it any good?

if you say no, it'll become a book written by your ex-girl friend; I guess.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:30 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
I've only seen two films (first and last), but I didn't mind them... :D

You're right: the second one is useless. :D Just endless quarrels over the destiny of the world...

seriously, I did like the first one, there's many good shots in it. But the further the story goes, the more I became bored. I hated the heroes, particularly Frodon and his fat gay compagnion, these two are always weeping and whining.

edit: and Jackson isn't a very good actors director. many of them in this trilogy have given better performances elsewhere.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

there are doomy bits or, better, there are very doomy bits in the story. Don't ask me where, because I don't remember! :D

The bad guys were pretty doomy, in a somewhat cardboard and one-dimensional Evil way...and I guess the Crack of Mount Doom deserves a mention! But Summoning already pinched most of the good bits for, well, pretty much every one of their albums. And for every good moment like the Nazgul being damned to their immortal twilight, you tend to get whole chapters of the likes of Tom Bombadil poncing around singing bad poetry at anyone who'll listen (usually one of the aforementioned whining Hobbits)!
There's probably more decent material in the Silmarillion, which is full of elven princes whose names mostly begin with "F" offering out the armies of darkness...and quite often getting handed their arses on a plate :)

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:07 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I know a word beginning with "F" and I'm sure it'd be an interesting character to introduce in the background of the elven tight world.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

The bad guys were pretty doomy, in a somewhat cardboard and one-dimensional Evil way...and I guess the Crack of Mount Doom deserves a mention! But Summoning already pinched most of the good bits for, well, pretty much every one of their albums. And for every good moment like the Nazgul being damned to their immortal twilight, you tend to get whole chapters of the likes of Tom Bombadil poncing around singing bad poetry at anyone who'll listen (usually one of the aforementioned whining Hobbits)!
There's probably more decent material in the Silmarillion, which is full of elven princes whose names mostly begin with "F" offering out the armies of darkness...and quite often getting handed their arses on a plate :)

well, I'll have to agree with that... I watched the films a long time a go, and, although they are very long, the entertaining factor was enough to stop me from falling asleep... also, watching the films on the big screen with a good audio or at home in HD does help... :)

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

Y'all are crazy.
Topics that would make great doom material:

Melkor's dissonance in the song of the Ainur
Morgoth's perversion of the Elves to make Orcs
Ungoliant devouring the Trees of Valinor, then herself
Feanor declaring war on basically everyone, then seeing everyone around him die trying to protect/obtain the Silmarils
The utter spiritual destruction of anyone who possesses the One Ring
The Mouth of Sauron in general (dude has been alive for so long, forgotten his own name, and is basically a slave to one evil purpose)
Of course, the Nazgul, and also the Witch-King of Angmar just being the worst guy ever
Barrow-wrights, condemned to haunt the barrows and basically be zombies forever
Frodo knowing that he is going to die the closer he gets to Mount Doom, but still continuing anyway
The unfortunately depressing being that is Gollum
Numenoreans getting sunk to the bottom of the sea because of their dissatisfaction with mortality

Huh. I think I could actually do this. Either way, it definitely deserves to be broken free from power metal/black metal/goofy prog-rock.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ocean of Ghosts wrote:
Y'all are crazy.

That is a possibility...

But, as I said, I am fond of Tolkein's writings. They did an awful lot to introduce me to the world of fantasy literature, best part of 40 years ago. Realistically, though, he really couldn't do characterisation for shit: it's almost painful how black and white everyone's morals are (except Boromir, who wasn't slow shuffling off the mortal coil in order to make amends), and how utterly wet all of the romance is. And most of the back story is lifted wholesale from Teutonic and Celtic mythologies - including almost all of the examples you've listed. So it is a bit difficult to see it as "authentic" enough to be easily fitted into a doom framework (although perhaps it could work in an epic or trad-epic format), and even more difficult to see people decoupling the whole image of Tolkein from the popular elves-and-flowers-and-hobbits conception. Which, I suspect, is why - as with most high fantasy themes - musical interpretations have tended to end up in the larger-than-life prog/power bracket where it isn't necessary to be taken too seriously.

Topics that I would find it quite hard not to think of while listening to Tolkien-based doom material:
Dwarves singing about gold.
Tubby Tom Bombadil singing about trees and flowers.
Short people with hairy feet saving the universe.
Short people with hairy feet spending the rest of their time eating.
Frodo whining every step of the way to Mount Doom, while Sam manfully restrains himself from pointing he carried the Ring and Frodo half-way up the bloody mountain himself. And had to take on Shelob into the bargain.
Elves. Frolicking.

To be fair, though, the last stand of the dwarves in the Mines of Moria ('drums in the deep...') could go on the 'good' list.

Don't know if you've read any of his works, by the way, but the man called in to edit much of Tolkien's posthumously-published material, Guy Gavriel Kay, has written some blindingly good high fantasy novels. I particularly recommend the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, in a very similar vein to LoTR.

And The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - there's a naturally doomy set of novels to consider...

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 am
Forum User

Looks like I got me some new books to read. Thanks!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:33 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
is it any good?

if you say no, it'll become a book written by your ex-girl friend; I guess.

Well, few people have already read it (including me) and the general opinion seems to be positive :). Looks like I will still have my girlfriend for now :D.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next