Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Doom writers and novels... 
Forum User

Johnson wrote:
Temper, temper, sweetheart. I just think it's quite hilarious that you fellows are elevating a genre of music epitomised by Shape of Despair and Esoteric to the lofty levels of some of the great artists and thinkers of the past 400 years just because they share a similar "dark" tone. Next you'll be telling me that Goya's favourite band would have been Skepticism, Van Gogh would have had My Dying Bride on his headphones while he painted Wheatfield with Crows, and that Ingmar Bergman listened to Mourning Beloveth on set to help him work.

Agree.

NYHC HARDCORE BAND
www.myspace.com/lacedjoint

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 pm
Forum User

There hasn't been any post here were somebody has said 'I recommend Nightwatch by Terry Pratchett as there's at least two paragraphs were, when reading it, suddenly reminded me of "...in the mist", could the writer be a Shape of Despair fan, obviously the mood the writer was trying to convey and the lyrics in the song had parallels, hinting he is maybe a fan without having heard them when writing those two paragraphs.'

Or people maybe interpreted doom as a noun: an unpleasant or disastrous destiny; or verb: make certain of the failure or destruction of; not a musical genre that inspired writers (or would of). Recommending books that include there of. The writers themselves maybe prefer (or would of preferred) Abba or The Beatles, something to take the edge off, doesn't matter.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:04 am
Forum User

You've lost me. Let's just quit while we're ahead 'cause I can't be bothered any more.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:43 am
Forum User

The HP Lovecraft mentions reminded me of Weird Tales. Weird Tales is very doomy.

Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm
Forum User

Who else is sick of Lovecraft-homaging in metal music? He continues to fascinate metal bands who still get the idea that it would be a great idea to reference his stories in their songs or conceptualise him on albums.

Last edited by Johnson on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 am
Forum User

I can't I'm sick of all the homaging, as some bands capture very accurately the atmosphere of his works, but overral I think that metal is too obsessed with a small group of writers, mainly Tolkien and Lovecraft.Some variety would be nice, you know.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 am
Forum User

I think no metal band captures the atmosphere of his work. In fact no metal band even approaches it. I am happy to be proved wrong however.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:43 pm
Forum User

probably the only band that ever came close to lovecraft for me is catacombs. But i suppose it's up to the listener to decide whether it meets their expectations (does it match the atmosphere of the novels? etc). As for tolkien, probably Summoning. But again, it's a matter of opinion.

but i agree, bands need to start looking for other authors for inspiration. There's plenty of them out there. I mean Void of Silence is at least doing something different and singing about World War. You know there's a problem when some people consider Tolkien Metal a genre. :;):

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:36 am
Forum User

A metal band singing about World War is considered doing something different?

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:32 pm
Forum User

i meant that at least they're doing something other than tolkien and lovecraft. not to say what they're doing is unique, as war is a common theme.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:48 pm
César Vallejo "Los Heraldos Negros" (the Black Heralds, Perú - 1918).

Sadly (pun intended) that one was written not only in spanish, but in a way that makes it hard (if not impossible) to translate without missing a lot.
Other books by him are more and more social as he was jailed and then he went to France and survived only to travel to Spain and fight the civil war.

You english-only people are missing a great poet from darknest Perú (just like I missed a lot of english literature for years! hehe).

Mon May 24, 2010 12:36 am
Forum User

Alberto Moravia
Arto Paasillina
???

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:04 pm
Forum User

The writing style of Laszlo Krasznahorkai (modern Hungarian author) is homologous to doom. Dude doesn't have chapters, he has paragraphs. Sentences go on for pages. You can't put it down in the same way that you'd never press pause while listening to an Evoken album, it just sucks you in. Only two of his books have been translated into English, but I'm hoping the rest of his work will see a translation in the future.

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 pm
Forum User

Post Re: Doom writers and novels...

How abut The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Doom-Ass? (sorry, couldn't help myself :p )
Speaking of French novels, I think one of the examples of a doomy novel might be La Chartreuse de Parme (The Charterhouse of Parma) by Stendhal. You know, this ultra-long novel at the end of which everyone dies, but the conclusion is that never before was life in France so good. :lol: *insert a random rule of doom metal that does exclude bands and subgenres here for the sarcastic echo effect*

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2