Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Doom writers and novels... 
Forum User

Post Doom writers and novels...

I think that Fjodor Dostojevski is greatest doom writer of all times. I red all his novels/stories at least 2 times. True doom. Especially novels "Idiot", "Humiliated and hurt" and "Boy" . I think that he would be doomster for sure , if he lived in our time.

Herman Hese . Novel "Steppen Wolf" .

Then Frantz Kafka . Novels "Castle" and "Process".

Alber Kami - "Stringer"

George Orvel - "1984"

Not sure if these are right english translations for the titles, but I guess you recognize them.

Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:08 pm
Forum User

+

writings of Charles Baudelaire

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Yes, I agree. I red few songs from "Flowers of Evil" and it's very dark and selfdectructive/romantic. But it was long tome ago. ' must read again :p

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:46 pm
Forum User

Actually I can't resist to name Boris Vian and especially "L'automne a Pekin". It's probably not so overtly doom, but I can't help myself to highlight the underlying that actually leads to the idea of human as a source of all absurdity.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

I'd personally claim that Howard Phillips Lovecraft is a "doom" author and most of the movies made of his texts are very "doom" as well. I guess The Call of Cthulhu is a prime example. After all it's bottom line is about cruel fates and man being subjected to these. It's about the truth and how it'll send you straight into insanity or death. To me that is one of the embodiments of "doom".

Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 am
Forum User

Knut Hamsun - Hunger

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 pm
Forum User

^^^I've got that book but have yet to read it. I bought it on a whim, because of some reviews that made it sound gr1m vnd dooooooom az fvck!I take it is..ha!

www.myspace.com/portentuk

Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:11 am
Forum User

Quote:
Proud Sufferer wrote:
I think that Fjodor Dostojevski is greatest doom writer of all times. I red all his novels/stories at least 2 times. True doom. Especially novels "Idiot", "Humiliated and hurt" and "Boy" . I think that he would be doomster for sure , if he lived in our time.

Herman Hese . Novel "Steppen Wolf" .

Then Frantz Kafka . Novels "Castle" and "Process".

Alber Kami - "Stringer"

George Orvel - "1984"

Not sure if these are right english translations for the titles, but I guess you recognize them.

Dost is a genius. Mentioned before about this fantastic writer. Not even sure where to start with him. 'The Idiot' is funny and doomsayer at the same time. Love it. Of course, the first part of Notes is one of the most hopeless, despondant pieces of literature there is. Eternal Husband, White Nights, The dream of a ridiculous man and parts of 'Brother Karamazovo (sp?)' left some deep impressions too.

Kafka's nearly upto Dosts' level too. Shakespeare. Goethe's Faust. All worthy mentions.

Highly recommend reading Charles Bukowski's': "The Most Beautiful Women In Town" collection of short stories too. Very moros.

Quote:
Quote:
I'd personally claim that Howard Phillips Lovecraft is a "doom" author and most of the movies made of his texts are very "doom" as well. I guess The Call of Cthulhu is a prime example. After all it's bottom line is about cruel fates and man being subjected to these. It's about the truth and how it'll send you straight into insanity or death. To me that is one of the embodiments of "doom".

H. P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the twentieth century's greatest practioner of the classic horror tale. --Stephen King.

Another great quote. :p

Read his 'best of' so to speak.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. --H. P. Lovecraft

A factual historical piece of doom literature can be found in: Stalingrad. By Anthony Beevor.

Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:08 am
Forum User

Edgar A. Poe of course

Herman Melville- moby dick

john milton - paradise lost

The 'tenach' especially 'Ecclesiastes'

Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Jean-Paul Sartre ~ Sickness

Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Insignium wrote:
EDGAR ALLAN POE!!!

E.T.A. Hoffmann and Gustav Meyrink can be pretty Doom also. And Hubert Selby Jr too : Requiem For A Dream is SLUDGE/DOOM!!

BANDS/LABELS : PM if interested in getting the contacts for both the magazine and the webzine

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 pm
Forum User

I would say that the more somber and melancholy poems of the Romantics like John Keats and Percy Shelley could be considered doom. I urge those of you who like HP Lovecraft to check out the works (poems and short stories alike) of Clark Ashton Smith. He wrote during the same time as Lovecraft within the same broad genre. However, his stories more often tend to take place in the past than those of Lovecraft. Many of his poems are very majestic but bleak and apocalyptic.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 am
Forum User

José Saramago ~ Blindness
Doomy as doom can get. :gravegrab:

Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:26 pm
Forum User

i think that house of leaves by mark z. danielewski is pretty doom.

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Tadeusz Miciński - Zamek Duszy (Castle Of Soul)
and other his poems

Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:53 am
Forum User

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe would be more apt for inclusion than Faust I think.
Besides this, of course Dostoevsky would not be a "doomster" - I'd like to think you're being ironic but I fear you're not. I really can't picture him going online ordering Shape of Despair cds.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:03 am
Forum User

Ironic? Dostoevsky writes doomsayer-esque almost entirely throughout earlier writings, particularly his short stories. Most are tragic tales of deprivation, loathing, loneliness; trying to 'extract the extra-ordinary from the ordinary" like Gogol, which can be pious if that's what you mean? He was near enough to see a live show, i'm sure Shape of Despair would of attracted abit more attention back then. Who knows..

Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:05 am
Forum User

Yes, I know Dostoevsky's work, mate. I think you're as mad as a bag of frogs if you think he might have been one of your fellow "doomsters". No offence to anyone here (myself included) but I think he perhaps may have taken up his leisure time with slightly more serious persuits and interests.
Good god...

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:49 pm
Forum User

Perhaps anything morose or vaguely existential in style shouldn't be attached to whatever term or definition you have, or feel a "doom writer" is. Haven't read The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe as of yet though. Not sure Goethe was a "doomster" neither, more a "classic - ster", "Operaster". Then again, didn't realise doom has such a narrow description when it came to writings were the only way to classify in "Doom writers and novels" is for that writer to listen to doom metal. As for Dostoesky's leisure time, i'm sure he managed to fit music in in between those serious pursuits; such as losing vast amounts of money on Roulette and running away from his creditors.

Infact fuck it, ok, your obviously seeing this from a far higher vantage point and angle then a mad bastard such as myself. I'll recommend Dostoevsky in the "Russian folk music/opera-likers writers and novels" topic when it comes along, mate.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:17 pm
Forum User

Temper, temper, sweetheart. I just think it's quite hilarious that you fellows are elevating a genre of music epitomised by Shape of Despair and Esoteric to the lofty levels of some of the great artists and thinkers of the past 400 years just because they share a similar "dark" tone. Next you'll be telling me that Goya's favourite band would have been Skepticism, Van Gogh would have had My Dying Bride on his headphones while he painted Wheatfield with Crows, and that Ingmar Bergman listened to Mourning Beloveth on set to help him work.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next