Gorslava
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Doomy Tattoos, anyone? 
Forum User

Cruel Shoes wrote:
I want the same tattoo as Apnea, from Lithium Picnic. pretty minimalistic.

My tattoo is much more minimalistic.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

this is the doomiest one i've seen

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

@Cruel Shoes

:drool2: That is one hot lady :drool:

Anyone else with "doomy" tattoos?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 am
Forum User

Cruel Shoes wrote:

Screw the tatoo, I want that girl in my sack! :rofl:

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:57 pm
Forum User

Munnin III wrote:
Cruel Shoes wrote:

Screw the tatoo, I want that girl in my sack! :rofl:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:14 pm
Cruel Shoes wrote:

A Lord, I hate it when bands to stuff like this to sell. Terribly attractive woman though, it has to be said.

Edit, oh wait, hahaha, it's not a band, my band, for fetish photography it is surely okay.

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:28 am
Forum User

My latest addition.

http://www.myspace.com/lycanthia

Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 am
Forum User

That is really a great one, Ebony~Veiled.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:28 pm
Forum User

Ebony~Veiled - that's the tattoo I was going to get! I'm glad I've seen it in tattoo form though, it looks awesome!

www.myspace.com/atsdoom
www.myspace.com/brokenbonesandshit
www.myspace.com/eternalfrost666

Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Post Re:

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 pm
Forum User

Post Re:

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 pm
Forum User

Post Re: Doomy Tattoos, anyone?

Quote:
"My tattoos were an armour. They served as two messages. One was 'look at me' and invited attention. Another was a protective measure of 'please don't get too close'. They provided a barrier between me and a world I was frightened of.”

Quote:
“Most of my tattoos are memorable dates, memorable words, things that I felt frightened of losing. I felt that if I was able to stamp them into my life somehow, then I wouldn't lose them.”

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 pm
Forum User

Quote:
Like cosmetics, tattoos are prosthetic, since like an artificial limb they make up for something felt to be missing or inadequate. We're always devising ways to enhance parts of our bodies, from diets and wigs to a Michael Jackson makeover. Once we're self-aware, there's really no such thing as a wholly "natural" body. We compete with others and ourselves to envision a more perfect us.

Quote:
The tattoo promises to stop time. The tattoo implies you're in an eternal present, willing to change your body permanently, not worried that the image will eventually become an embarrassing cliché or a maze of wrinkles on grandma's tired skin.

Quote:
Tattoos idealize youth and fertility by drawing eyes to youthful skin and often erotic parts of the body. In the process they counter anxiety about aging and death. Terror management, people unconsciously honor the potency of immortality symbols such as the cross and the flag.

Quote:
The decision to submit to the tattooing needle is a modestly painful initiation rite. The commitment can be a kind of conversion experience, a mark of independence from parents and conformity.

Quote:
Death and anxiety are pretty nebulous, especially when denial fuzzes them out. To confront the threat head on in order to subdue it, put a skull on your skin, you and everyone who looks at you, will honor your control over death. The skull insists you're not afraid, and even "own" death.

Quote:
If you emphasize teeth in a tattoo, as in images of wolfish jaws and fangs, the signal is a threat display that should intimidate potential adversaries and pump up you, the beast's owner, turning nervous system flight into courage and fight.

Quote:
The self is an event, not a thing. We rely on social behavior, attention, to substantiate us and make us feel real. Tattoos promise to make you attractive, as if you have a personal force akin to gravity. Notice me. The more attraction you command, the more attention you get, and the more life you have. The more people you have thinking about you, the more of you there seems to be.

Quote:
Greed for attention inspires fear and envy.

Quote:
Gangs use tattoos to boost a feeling of unique but shared status and power. When it works, the gang emblem pumps up self-esteem even as it absorbs the individual into the group. Tattoos spotlight the individual but also signify membership in the group of similarly marked folks.

Last edited by Beerman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 pm
Forum User

Quote:
Your body is your temple, and you can decorate it however you like.

Quote:
They are an expression of who you are on the inside… on the outside.

Quote:
They can be a permanent marker of happy events and times and will always make you smile.

Quote:
They can act as a tribute to a loved one, a memorial for keeping someone close and a part of you forever.

Quote:
Your tattoo can be individual to you and a great way to make you stand apart from the crowd

Quote:
It’s lame to call them tramp stamps

Quote:
They will still look awesome when you are older.

Quote:
It is art.

Quote:
They don’t always have to have a meaning.

Quote:
Your body, your choice.

Quote:
People have been getting tattooed for thousands of years.

Quote:
Stop being so judgemental. If you don’t want one, don’t get one.

Quote:
They help people and make someone self-conscious feel great.

Quote:
Tattoos can be used to cover scars and skin discolorations.

Quote:
It doesn’t change who you are as a person, more slutty or more violent.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:00 am
Forum User

Quote:
We're unique among the animals because we're burdened with an awareness of the future, futility, death. We're constantly devising defenses. Culture is a defense against feeling overwhelmed or futile or doomed. Cultures are full of values and beauties that can make you feel as if your life is significant and has lasting meaning even though you know it's going to be limited. So you could say that tattoos are cultural expressions of heroism or individuality.

A lot of people would say they'd get a tattoo as a memorial to remember somebody or some event. For example, getting song lyrics as a tattoo. The phrases, of course, turn out to be unbelievably suffocating clichés. So they're urging you to be a strong individual by imitating all the other animals who are out there putting clichés on their skin. On one hand, people want to do something that brings out their sense of significance and self expression but end up doing the exact opposite.

The fantasy of being special and unique and important and heroic, is complicated by living in a culture that celebrates those values. We're constantly bombing other countries in order to preserve our "freedom," which presumably means individuality. But at the same time, our culture is intensely conformist.

You have businesses constantly trying to imprint a brand on the public awareness. In effect you're branding yourself with industrial entertainment, because rock groups, as we know, are basically money-making machines, fronted by models, funded by the entertainment industry.

Last edited by Beerman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:28 am
Forum User

Quote:
Culture, itself, is cliché. So in trying to emulate social culture, we get these bad tattoos. Culture is constantly tempting us with fantasies of uniqueness and heroism. You're tempted to buy something like a new BMW because it promises to makes you feel heroic on the street. You stand out from the crowd. The crowd—they're just ordinary people, they're gonna die someday and be forgotten. But everybody's looking at you, you're in the spotlight, you're the hero. And at the same time, if you adjust the perspective slightly, they're making ordinary people feel OK to be hero worshippers. You're invited to identify and admire the rich, the heroic, the prestigious, and if you admire them, it becomes "my music" or "my hairdo" or "my products." In effect, you share in the glamour with the fetishistic power of the thing you admire.

It's like getting tricked into a social hero worship movement. Well, whether or not you're being "tricked" probably depends on how you feel about the validity of clichés and belonging. Like if you want to tattoo yourself with a line from your favorite song, almost certainly you're feeling a kind of emotional excitement and admiration for that song. A kind of warm, romantic ecstasy. You hear people say, "It has special meaning for me." It's a kind of emotional halo that's around this object.

Last edited by Beerman on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:34 am
Forum User

Quote:
We feel most real when other people are affirming us, and reassuring us, and reinforcing our identity. In all the social rituals you go through, like saying "Hi, how are you? Fine, how are you?" You don't really expect to hear any personal information. It's really just a confirmation that you both exist and acknowledge each other. So in a way, tattoos function in that sort of fashion. They bring attention to you and make you feel real, even if the attention is making you feel like a member of a huge group. A tattoo tells you that you are one of, as it were, a tribe of tattooed folks that are really beautiful and significant. You may even share symbols with somebody else! And at the same time, because of the branding phenomenon, it makes you feel like you're smarter than the next guy who doesn't know enough to buy your particular product, or your particular fashion.

I think largely people are frightened about the future and cling to some familiar ritual, some familiar tagline, some familiar cliché that you find meaningful. It's kind of like a safety blanket to give your life meaning at a period when maybe your morale is under pressure or you're really excited about something good. But the point is, in either event, the cliché doesn't seem to be a cliché. It seems to have some kind of special meaning.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:37 am
Forum User

Quote:
Tattooing has been around for thousands of years, we're even finding early humans with tattoos. There is something inherent to human nature that makes us want to tattoo ourselves. The cadaver that was found frozen and preserved in the Alps, which I think is about 5,000 years old—he's in a museum in Italy, the latest research shows that his body has quite a few tattoos on his skin. They tend to be abstract designs. Based on their locations, it's been hypothesized that they were there to distract from uncomfortable physical things like arthritis. Or possibly, that they have some kind of magical significance. If you think about it, from a certain point of view, as all of our behavior tends to be very magical in some ways. Imaging that there's some special power in your symbols, in your tagline, in your brand, that somehow elevates your mood, makes you feel stronger, more capable, better about yourself. As people, we are regularly on the edge of an existential panic. If you were to see the world realistically; just how vulnerable and totally insignificant you are, in terms of the cosmos, you'd go crazy. So you constantly need stories that build up your self esteem and make you feel significant, which is, of course, what culture provides. Tattoos are a representation of that self defense mechanism.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:45 am
Forum User

Quote:
Its physical and artistic representations of values you can identify with. Working conditions of any poor people are extremely punishing, demanding, and depersonalizing for folks on the bottom. You don't really feel entitled to your own identity. So people feel especially pressured to try to find their own magical reinforcement for things that the culture is not really helping you much with. You see money and injury and death and guilt while people want to feel safe and feel like they're in charge of the world in terms of personal self-esteem and well being.

Quote:
A lot of people, especially when they're young, imagine that they're going to be young forever. After all, if the magic that we're talking about in culture really works, then you can feel invincible and immortal, so to speak. And its kind of cliché that teenagers imagine that they're going to live forever; that's why they take crazy risks and do drugs and so on. They can't imagine that they're gonna grow up and look differently than the cultural ideal. You never have to worry about being sick or infirm or in trouble. You never have to worry about being older and having to come to terms with diminishing prospect, diminishing powers, diminishing fantasies.

Quote:
You're afraid but you don't want to admit you're afraid because it could damage your fragile morale. A damaged morale makes you less effective, less secure, less productive, etc. So you just deny that you're afraid. Probably the basic mechanism of culture is to pretend that everything is just rosy and you're not afraid. But we are afraid. You're dealing with a moment in which people seem to be so hungry for self-esteem and approval and confidence that they're willing to say and do really bizarre, or silly things, because it makes them feel different. It makes them feel unique and significant and alive.

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Maybe none of the above, in their entirety.
It hadn't become a mainstream thing when I got mine done, but was just getting to the point where you could find reasonable local-ish tattooists without too much difficulty. It might have become a cliché since, but fortunately I still don't see many people sporting my actual designs, or the (admittedly non-original) Grateful Dead 'Blues For Allah' album cover.
As to why, well, partly because it was still a pretty transgressive gesture, at least in the sort of circles where I lived and worked, so you could still use it a way of weeding out judgemental arseholes. Partly because there was some personal investment in choosing some of my own forms of permanent scarification. Partly because I wanted to give some symbolic, if obtuse, clues as to who I was and see if anyone would be arsed to work them out (though that may only be the flipside of weeding out the judgemental arseholes, of course). Partly because the pain of having it done is a quite unique form of headrush (from personal experience, I don't entirely recommend going for a job interview immediately afterwards, if you intend to come across as a rational individual...). And partly because, yes, they'll no doubt look shit when I'm (even) older, but, hey, is there anyone who looks real stylish naked when they're saggy and old - it certainly isn't ink, or lack of it, that's the most unattractive aspect of that particular prospect...!
So I guess, give it a bit of thought up front, design something that at least means something to you at the time, and learn something about what making a (largely) irrevocable commitment means. And if it ends up being a bodily feature that doesn't keep you satisfied your whole life, rest assured most of us get to put up with that. And then we die. No exceptions.
That sounds rather excitingly doomy to me. It may even still seem that way when I'm sober in the morning :D

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next