Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Funeral Doom 
Forum User

Post Funeral Doom

I once had a conversation about Funeral Doom with a singer and bass player from a Finnish Doom Metal band, well, I say conversation, it comprised me trying to explain what Funeral Doom meant to me, and him taking the piss out of it and me, but that's the Internet for you.

But the upshot of what I said was, Funeral Doom was ultimately about love with love being expressed through the music as grief, doomed grief, because one, you can't do anything about it, two, it's only a matter of time before death does the same to you, three, it's only a matter of time before death does it to the ones you love, and four, even though it's death doing it you blame yourself. You blame yourself for letting the one you loved die, and for the pain you will eventually inflict on others.

I rarely change my opinion on things because I spend so long coming to one. I take great care before making my mind up, and like a court of appeal there has to be new evidence to overturn a verdict. My only caveat with my view of Funeral Doom is that it's based on my one of many opinions I have of what love is.

I was watching this video, as Mournful Congregation are playing Temple Fest in Bristol this year, and questioned can Funeral Doom be played in such a setting? Greeted by various whoops and horned hands, I don't know what the audience were expecting, and the band started very self consciously, almost awkward. By the time the song had ended, all on stage were lost in it and the funeral doom flowed. I found the cheering at the end most disturbing, and then the push for the new CD followed by more whoops. No, that's not what Funeral Doom is about.

I wonder how many people at a big gig like this, or an even bigger festival like Temples are going to understand this most challenging of genres or even care. I suspect they will comprise mainly Death Doomsters and metalheads. If I had my way, there would be an exam at the door and only people who had experienced loss and pledge to forever grieve would be allowed in.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Funeral Doom

did you listen to the latest Skepticism? Speaking of whoohoos and applauds...

Reading you thoughts about love and grief reminds me of the film "l'humanité" by French director Bruno Dumont. I suggest you watch it.

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:35 pm
Forum User

Beerman wrote:
I once had a conversation about Funeral Doom with a singer and bass player from a Finnish Doom Metal band, well, I say conversation, it comprised me trying to explain what Funeral Doom meant to me, and him taking the piss out of it and me, but that's the Internet for you.

Albert Witchfinder is an a**hole! :D

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:11 pm
Forum User

I never knew Skepticism had a new album out. Quick check of the band site http://www.skepticism.fi/listen.html and it's a live album called Ordeal, and there's a youtube link to this...

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:37 pm
Forum User

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Beerman wrote:
I never knew Skepticism had a new album out. Quick check of the band site http://www.skepticism.fi/listen.html and it's a live album called Ordeal, and there's a youtube link to this...

We hosted the excusive premiere streaming, so you can still listen to the whole album at https://soundcloud.com/doom-metal-com...and review is here http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2860.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:03 pm
Forum User

Thanks. Listening to it now.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:16 pm
Forum User

Funeral Doom from around 1600

In darkness let me dwell;
the ground, the ground, shall sorrow, sorrow be,
The roof despair to bar all,
all cheerful light from me;
The walls of marble black,
that moist'ned, that moist'ned still,
shall weep, weep, shall weep;
My music, my music,
Hellish, hellish jarring sounds, jarring jarring sounds,
to banish, banish friendly sleep.
Thus, wedded to my woes,
and bedded to my tomb,
O let me living die,
O let me living die,
till death, till death doth come,
till death, till death doth come, till death, till death doth come.
In darkness let me dwell.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 pm
Forum User

More from John Dowland

Flow, my tears, fall from your springs!
Exiled for ever, let me mourn;
Where night's black bird her sad infamy sings,
There let me live forlorn.

Down vain lights, shine you no more!
No nights are dark enough for those
That in despair their last fortunes deplore.
Light doth but shame disclose.

Never may my woes be relieved,
Since pity is fled;
And tears and sighs and groans my weary days, my weary days
Of all joys have deprived.

From the highest spire of contentment
My fortune is thrown;
And fear and grief and pain for my deserts, for my deserts
Are my hopes, since hope is gone.

Hark! you shadows that in darkness dwell,
Learn to contemn light
Happy, happy they that in hell
Feel not the world's despite.

Last edited by Beerman on Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:42 pm
Forum User

...and may death never overtake you

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:54 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Stijn would be pleased... :D

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 am
Forum User

The 5 Stages of Loss & Grief

The 5 Stages of loss and grief are universal and are experienced by people from all walks of life.

1. Denial and Isolation

A defense mechanism, the first wave of pain.

2. Anger

Aimed at inanimate objects, complete strangers, doctors, friends, family, but mostly at our dead loved one. Rationally, we know the person is not to be blamed. We resent the person for causing us pain or for leaving us. We feel guilty for being angry which makes us more angry.

3. Bargaining

We re-live what we did wrong and imagine we did it right so that they might not be dead. We trouble deaf heaven with our bootless cries.

4. Depression

Doom on.

5. Acceptance

This phase is marked by withdrawal and calm. This is not a period of happiness, it is not depression, it is not a period to be gone through, it lasts until you die then you hand it on to the ones that love you. Life goes on, but dotted flashes of rememberance and feelings of sadness and regret.

So why does so much Funeral Doom start with depression and stay there?

Sat May 14, 2016 6:52 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

because they're not truly depressed, otherwise they wouldn't be able to create. Music is creation and creation is postive. So, it's all made up in fact, just a pose, an artificial rendering of what true depression could make you feel, all this for us, little nevrotic fuckers, to masochistically enjoy.

Sat May 14, 2016 8:22 am
Forum User

Got to differentiate between those who have experienced depression and know what it feels like and are talented enough to be able to communicate it in their music (when they are not depressed), and those who are imagining what it must feel like, and you can hear the fake emotions quite easily. That's why those who are lucky enough to have yet to experience grief, really shouldn't sing about it. I'm not talking about clinical depression which never passes, a chemical imbalance, a mental illness that has to be managed. That's a tragedy in its own right, and as I have never experienced that, I don't feel competent to compare the 2. I don't even know if they are the same thing, or if they even feel the same. Maybe the only difference is one passes and the other doesn't. Maybe clinical depression is less intense because it never passes. But I do know, and relate to, the depression told to me in the songs of the Funeral Doom masters. I'd just like a bit more of the other 4 stages that's all. What we need is a concept album to take us through them one at a time.

Sat May 14, 2016 9:03 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

We have a truly depressed musician on this forum in the person of 'Abysmal', so he explained in one interview he gave us:
http://www.doom-metal.com/interviews.php?entry=1331

... And yet, this guy is one of the most active musician I know of, hundreds of projects he has!

Sun May 15, 2016 3:56 am
Forum User

Clearly the 'normal' depression I refer to, which we all experience at sometime in our lives, and almost always during the grieving process, is not the clinical depression being talked about here. I'm not sure where this form of depression ends and schizophrenia begins, if indeed they are seperate. Maybe the imbalance of chemicals or a fault in the electronics gives different symptoms depending on which chemical is too much or too little or which wire is missing or in the wrong palce, and each set of symptoms gets different name. They all seem to merge to me as do their treatments. Not sure listening to and creating extreme doom is the wisest choice in this state, maybe akin to a psychopath watching ultraviolence movies all day. May be enjoyable, may be comforting, but wise? But then, what do I know.

Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 am
Forum User

On the subject of creativity and mental illness, I seem to remember a poll taken a few years ago of a number of manic depressives involved in the arts where they were asked if there was a magic pill that would cure them would they take it, and almost all said no. Even though the depression was so dreadful, they wouldn't give up the creativity and euphoria that flowed from their mania.

Not saying manic depression is a blessing. Back in the 90s I worked with a guy who was married to a manic depressive and during one of her manic phases she broke up their dining chairs to make space for some new chairs they didn't have the money to buy. As luck would have I had just bought new chairs and let him have my old ones. Sounds a bit like being on cocaine, you know it's going to kill you but you can't help yourself.

Interesting article https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... g-genetics

Sun May 15, 2016 9:15 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Beerman wrote:
Not sure listening to and creating extreme doom is the wisest choice in this state, maybe akin to a psychopath watching ultraviolence movies all day. May be enjoyable, may be comforting, but wise? But then, what do I know.

Yes, he'd be well adviced to produce some badass synth pop instead, and move his little ass in rhythm, all dressed up in a day-glo yellow Chinese copy of an adidas tracksuit
:penguin:

Sun May 15, 2016 9:24 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Beerman wrote:
On the subject of creativity and mental illness, I seem to remember a poll taken a few years ago of a number of manic depressives involved in the arts where they were asked if there was a magic pill that would cure them would they take it, and almost all said no. Even though the depression was so dreadful, they wouldn't give up the creativity and euphoria that flowed from their mania.

Not saying manic depression is a blessing. Back in the 90s I worked with a guy who was married to a manic depressive and during one of her manic phases she broke up their dining chairs to make space for some new chairs they didn't have the money to buy. As luck would have I had just bought new chairs and let him have my old ones. Sounds a bit like being on cocaine, you know it's going to kill you but you can't help yourself.

Interesting article https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... g-genetics

sounds like bipolar to me...

Sun May 15, 2016 10:56 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

bipolar troubles and manic depression is the exact same thing.

Sun May 15, 2016 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next