Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Internet vanity 
Post Internet vanity

Is this the right place to discuss this? I hope so...

Anyway, I noticed earlier that on the "post a pic" thread there were some users who have plenty of posts, but seem to rarely, if at all ever post outside that single thread. Then it led me on to think about people who use such sites as myspace to post hundreds of photos of themselves and then fish for compliments from other shallow people. I'm naming no names, I don't want this to turn into a flame war or anything, I just wondered what other people thought of this kind of thing? To be honest, I don't even know where I'm leading this, I just wanted to vent some frustration I guess.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:16 am
Forum User

Deju Vu? I believe there was another thread with this exact topic and title on one of the old boards....

I rarely post pics of myself due to hating pics of myself, laziness, and not having any to post.....

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:28 am
Forum User

Hmm..yeah i forgot about that thread and never really bothered looking in before. Just now i did have a quick look, aye, some peoples names i didn't really recognise, but then again some might not recognise my name as i don't really post that much.
Hmm..maybe not necessarily shallow people, but aye do get your point. Myspace and facebook is the place for all the " Look at me, ME and my friends having fun, i do have friends ,look they're all here in pictures with me while we have fun and take photos!

www.myspace.com/portentuk

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:38 am
Forum User

I'm not quite sure what all this "there was another thread on this x years ago" is meant to mean either. It happened on the Terrorizer board when they did a prog rock article "here we go again, you did one 2 years ago" sort of thing. It's like issues beyond the mental reach of some invoke a defensive response and they try and poo-poo it, and then start another "post a list of your favourite bands" thread.

Back to photos. I think motives are complex and vanity may be on the surface, but for some I think the reason deep down is the opposite, poor self-image, insecurity, we are getting into self-harm territory here. It depends on what you think a photograph of your self is (in terms of meaning, not technology obviously).

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:16 am
Forum User

I don't think I've posted one single photo in that topic.(I could be mistaken) Since my avatar is me, there's no need to do it. Personally I prefer to be able to connect a person to a face. It's more personal I guess. That's why I have a photo and not a random picture as avatar.
About boosting your post count in the picture topic: Yeah well, some like attention more than others...For whichever reasons.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

Well, its a well-known phenomenon. Like teens in hi5 or LJ who post a lot of pics or tell their lives like a public diary or whatever, in search of people who actually give a damn. But of course in the end noone does, people who do comment are in the end only serching for the exact same pretend (literally virtual) social life or just plain curious to see othes making an ass of themselves. Anyway, it's sad. Some people spend way too much time indoors.

But of course I'm not talking about the pics thread. I personally am not too keen on posting my pic everywhere, I have this mild paranoia or whatever, to keep my space private and my persona to myself and the ones that are close to me. Nonetheless I might feel like posting a pic, if somehow I sense there's a sane or somehow friendly environment. So there's a very discreet Acid on that thread. :p

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:27 pm
Forum User

Some of you say people are insecure because they post pictures of themselves on something like Facebook which to me is overreacting and almost done as a mechanism to justify yourselves not using it.

I use Facebook (no myspace or hi5 though) as all my real life friends have it and I do enjoy having a place to share my travel pictures as when I go somewhere and talk to someone about places I visited they actually have seen the pictures instead of having to find a laptop and me having a USB key.

I do think some rare people use it in a shallow manner just to show-off themselves (there's excess in everything) but it's really not as widespread as some of you make it sound.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:35 pm
Like Pieceofart I like to be able to put a face to a name, I'm not even sure why to be honest, it just makes it easier for me to remember people I suppose. I have no problem with a picture of two, but there are countless people on that thread who probably post a picture a day or something.

I admit, I do use myspace, but it's kept on private, with the photos on private, and unless there's a band I like, 95% of the people on there are my real life friends, with the exception of a few people who I know are cool. I know no-one wants to look at my ugly face, and it doesn't bother me.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:59 pm
Forum User

Actually I use myspace as a place to keep in touch with the activities of the bands I like. Sure there are personal spaces too, but of people I actually know in person, or a few ones that have something in common generally in what concerns music.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 am
I have only one photo publiced on myspace, and I never get a compliment of anyone in the picture topic so your topic goes not up for me. I actually agree with you, there are a lot of attention seekers on the internet. People which show you things you actually don't really care about.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:39 pm
I'm going to compliment you now Kris! :;):

You're right though, it's scary how many pathetic vain people there are around. I will never seek acceptance from other people, myspace should follow in my footsteps! :D

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:48 pm
You'd make my day :D

I wonder if they are also as seeking for acceptance in real life, but I don't think so. I think they're actually too shy to express their feelings about getting too less attention in real life. Expressing yourself on the web is easier.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:54 pm
Forum User

i'm sort of in the middle with this, i'll put up pictures and stuff, but i'm not bothered about people commenting on them. i know a few people who are constantly like "comment my pictures! i only have 10 comments and the pictrues are lonely" in a bulletin every 5 minutes, and that just pisses me off

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
Don't you delete those?

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:07 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5sGbufuGGA

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 pm
Forum User

haha! I should do a video like that, fondle myself to 'drink, drink, drink'

Last edited by Beerman on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:09 pm
Do it! :D

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:05 pm
Forum User

It makes me think of ppl that have personnal blogs and there they expose, in the extreme cases, their day-to-day life or personnal thoughts and ideas. I think it's a little bit vanity and presumption thinking that someone will read that and will give a fuck to what they're thinking or living. I for one wouldn't like my life to be exposed especially on website that can be acessed by any wacko.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:17 pm
Forum User

I post pics for many of the same reasons I make any other post - largely to do with boredom and imposing some simple form of routine in the mornings or evenings. Which goes against my nature, but I need to do because I have work hours. Anyway. Whether or not people give a shit about seeing my pics doesn't bother me, I would assume people who don't care are gonna skip past till they see someone they know or whatever. I don't see the point in taking endless pics along the lines of 'this is a photo of me looking exactly the way I did two weeks ago, but look, a different shirt!'. But then, that seems a rarity on this forum. As was mentioned above it's sometimes nice to put a face to a name, and then of course you have people posting live pics of their bands which I always find interesting. Blah blah blah... As beerman said, insecurity is more likely to be a motivator rather than vanity. If they are indeed two seperate things. What was I saying? I think the idea of blogging about your daily life is ridiculous. I am on myspace purely because other people asked me to be and it isn't that much hassle to be, and use my blog there on the odd occasion to post short pieces of nonsensical fiction. I don't give a flying fuck what happened to me last Thursday afternoon, so I know no one else would.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:50 pm
Forum User

we all know places like myspace are filled with teenagers, who enjoy posting regular pictures and stuff.. I really don't care about that, I know it can be annoying for the outsider. funny enough! I've joined myspace to make it easier in keeping with my mates, and to get the updates straight from the bands I'm interested in. why would you not have that option? instead of browsing around the web for bands info/news and stuff..

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next