DiscosMacarros
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Filmmaking, shooting videos. Show your creations 
Forum User

Post Filmmaking, shooting videos. Show your creations

There has been a photography thread for ages. Now it is time to add a filmmaking thread :)
In this day and age filmmaking or video production is more accessible than ever before. So there must be people in here who create videos, short films, musicvideos, etc.

Well, I do :p. I was already a film student at Art School when I joined this forum over a decade ago.

My latest creation is a short dark comedy about sexism:
(It has subtitles in the Closed Captions and it contains some strong language, but the audience had to laugh very loud during screening in cinema.)

The Dutch title 'Schoon Genoeg' means both 'clean enough' and 'having enough of something/being done with.../fed up with...' so it was hard to translate it with the same meaning. 'Well done' is the best fit in this situation, although not as perfect as the Dutch title.
We (I didn't do this all by myself: I directed it) made this in only 48 hours during 48 Hour Film Project Rotterdam.
It starts with a genre drawing (we got dark comedy) and then you hear what character, prop and line must be included. So it is written, shot and edited in those 48 hours.

Let me know what you think :)
And if you like it: feel free to share the video on social media.

Are there more people in here who create videos?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Filmmaking, shooting videos. Show your creations

Okay, I rather enjoyed that, conceptually, and can certainly appreciate the work that went into making it to such a tight timescale.
I've done video work, but it's more pragmatic. Mostly on-bike footage, obviously edited with taste and good humour, but nonetheless straightforward real-world experience taken down to a first-person road trip movie. Not currently available online, as it's easier to send the two or three people in the world who are actually interested their own DVD copy. Probably not what you could describe as a good match for what you're doing, but maybe it depends on what sort of conversation you're interested in having: technical, practical, philosophical, artistic...?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:41 am
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:
Okay, I rather enjoyed that, conceptually, and can certainly appreciate the work that went into making it to such a tight timescale.
I've done video work, but it's more pragmatic. Mostly on-bike footage, obviously edited with taste and good humour, but nonetheless straightforward real-world experience taken down to a first-person road trip movie. Not currently available online, as it's easier to send the two or three people in the world who are actually interested their own DVD copy. Probably not what you could describe as a good match for what you're doing, but maybe it depends on what sort of conversation you're interested in having: technical, practical, philosophical, artistic...?

Thanks!
Cool to know there are more people who did make videos.
I'm mostly curious whether there are other members that create videos: whether or not it is a match with my work is not important to me. The discussion can go anyway it flows. Maybe there won't be a deep discussion at all and will it just be showing projects. Only time can tell...
(BTW, to me technical, practial and artistic are intertwined in filmmaking.)

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I like to film and write videos... but hate the editing part :( What do people use that makes the process simple? I can't stand lots of clicking and tiny edits... just want something that makes things easy.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:20 am
Forum User

Finding someone to edit it will save you the clicking :p
Otherwise I fear there is no escaping editing. Although you can plan to shoot long shots, so you need to edit less.

I don't edit with a mouse, but with a Wacom tablet: much more comfortable and less straining than using a mouse

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

Critique of the film as requested...

Technically it's a very good, professional quality film. As an anti-sexism film I don't think it works for two main reasons.

First, in my opinion, most men would think they had died and gone to heaven to be confronted by 2 gorgeous women like those in the film offering them casual sex. I personally would take the job just for the slippery holes and the old in-out, then quit.

Secondly, the term sexism, like racism and fascism, seem to mean different things to different people and the media want it to mean all things to all people if it serves their agenda. A quick internet definition check throws up numerous different definitions, but the one closest to mine is "attitudes or behaviour based on traditional stereotypes of gender roles, and discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex or gender". So for me, sexism is in fact genderism, and it works both ways. So a woman who expects a man to behave in a stereotypical way is also guilty of sexism. It has been suggested by psychologists that one motive for sexism is a hatred of the opposite sex, this is an example of where the media and the politically correct have decided that this shall be included in the general public psyche and where I and the media/politically corrrect agree to disagree. The film tries to show how awful it would be to go for a job when the people who you would be working for just want you for your body and have zero respect for your mind. I don't think this is a nice thing, but I don't think this is actually sexism. It's not the expected gender role to disrespect the opposite sex, nor is it discrimination or devaluation based on a person's gender because it doesn't cover the interviewee’s acceptance of being a victim. As per my first point he may well take the job to use the users. To be a victim he must be powerless to prevent being a victim.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:51 am
Forum User

Beerman wrote:
................ The film tries to show how awful it would be to go for a job when the people who you would be working for just want you for your body and have zero respect for your mind. I don't think this is a nice thing, but I don't think this is actually sexism. It's not the expected gender role to disrespect the opposite sex, nor is it discrimination or devaluation based on a person's gender because it doesn't cover the interviewee’s acceptance of being a victim. As per my first point he may well take the job to use the users. To be a victim he must be powerless to prevent being a victim.

Thanks for watching and thinking about it :)

I don't think it tries to show "how awful it would be to go for a job when the people who you would be working for just want you for your body and have zero respect for your mind", but how aweful inappropriate disrespectful behaviur is by switching the stereotype genderroles.
At least that was the idea behind it: we only had 48 hours to think, write, shoot and edit it, so I'm not surprised there are different interpretations: which is fine :)

BTW, the interviewees can't take the job, since the cleaners are not the ones to give the jobs away. :p

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I think my budget is literally 0 :( Hence why I've been looking at free editing programs :P Think that any of these worth checking out? It mentions VSDC, Shotcut, OpenShot Video Editor, and HitFilm 4 Express.

:/

Like i said, love pre-production and filming, but just want something that makes editing fun ;)

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]