Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ambivalence - "A Land Of Myth & Magic" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Ambivalence - "A Land Of Myth & Magic"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2832.

Additional review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2887.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:34 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Ambivalence - "A Land Of Myth & Magic"

ah yes, doom/death vs death/doom.... gives me the headache again! :D

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:07 am
Forum User

baphomet Why not try to finally decide that if the release is more Style1 oriented then write Style1/Style2. It's simple and has some logic + this is more flexible instead of styles' hate wars. :oldfart:

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm a war casualty, I didn't start it!

Frankly, I don't care at all! :;):

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

deadhead wrote:
baphomet Why not try to finally decide that if the release is more Style1 oriented then write Style1/Style2. It's simple and has some logic + this is more flexible instead of styles' hate wars. :oldfart:

Hate war...

HATE WAR....

HATE

WAR !!!!

:homer:

Joke aside : this way of saying that Doom/Death is now a non-existent thing and that only Death/Doom exists is starting to truly piss me off :sniper:
Why now, bands are afraid to be mistaken for wannabe romantic Goths ? More than that, it seems to be a resurgence of the Circle Of True Doom thing : Trad' and Epic are the only Doom, the rest is not Doom but another style with Doom in it... y'know, like My Dying Bride is not Doom but Gothic Metal with Doom elements or Skepticism is just slow Death Metal with Doom elements :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

It can also be traced to bands doing the über-morbid thing (Skeletal Spectre, Druid Lord, and so on) and who'll lose trueness points if actually conceding they like something else than Autopsy :tantrum: :tantrum:

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Frenchy wrote:
More than that, it seems to be a resurgence of the Circle Of True Doom thing

I don't really see it like that, to be honest. That was really a nice, clear-cut skirmish over whether the '80s definition of Doom allowed for any extreme-based stuff to join the club at all. This is more about how stupidly difficult it is to keep any sort of rein on genres as they expand outwards - I talk to a lot more bands wanting to claim a Doom heritage (however tenuous, and theses days often taken via the secondary influences of other bands who themselves weren't clear-cut Doom) than trying to hide it behind some weasel-worded hybrid genre. Fans, on the other hand, they still quite like to police whatever genre definitions they feel most comfortable with...even if those have moved on since...

Anyhow, if anyone would like a slightly different perspective on this album, we have a second review at:
http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=2887.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

I used to think the whole death/doom vs. doom/death thing was ridiculous too, though I can understand to some extent why some people feel a distinction is necessary. In some bands, the death metal aspect of the equation is more pronounced. In some bands, the doom elements are more pronounced.

Spoiler: show
Disembowelment - Death/Doom (mostly death metal with some slower sections)

Mourning Beloveth - Doom/Death (slow, dire doom metal with harsh vocals and occasional death metal riffs)

By no means am I saying that such a distinction is necessary, but rather pointing out the reason why some may feel the need to split hairs. :p

Now, don't get me started on what's drone/doom and what's simply drone metal...

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Funny: regardless of whether or not the discussion and distinction makes much sense in the first place, if at all I'd define them the other way round. That is, Death/Doom is more Doom-oriented and Doom/Death more Death pronounced. I guess it depends on whether you think the slash is actually the same as a hyphen (Death/Doom = Death-Doom) or the space in genre terms such as Death Metal, and somehow I've always read it that way. From this angle, Doom/Death would be a subgenre of Death Metal and Death/Doom a subgenre of Doom, just as Death Metal is a subgenre of Metal. Thus, linguistically I interpret these genre terms as compounds. An armchair is a specific form of chair and not a specific form of arm. Likewise, Death/Doom or Death-Doom or Death Doom is a specific form of Doom rather than Death Metal. Sure, it's splitting hairs, but if we're going to discuss it, we have to at least have a common approach to the terminology...

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]