sidetrackwalker-taos
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Aeonian Sorrow : A Life Without (EP) 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Aeonian Sorrow : A Life Without (EP)

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3518.

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:23 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Aeonian Sorrow : A Life Without (EP)

I like it... death/doom with funeral interjections and good male/female vocals. Not your standard release... it does enough to stand out from the crowd.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Very well written review. :) I appreciate Aeonian Sorrow, though I wish Gogo's vocals were featured a little bit more frequently in the mix. I agree that she has a very unique voice, very strong and powerful. Overall, they are a welcome addition to the modern melo-death/doom sound (Red Moon Architect, Swallow the Sun, Collapse of Light, etc.)

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:19 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I guess I should try it again; I hadn't noticed any particular strong, outstanding features.
But yes, my initial impression was that the female voice should definitelty be the backbone of the songs' structure. Making the songwriting revolve around the female lines, that would be then predominant, would, I think, unlock the band's potential, because, imo, the male growls are too deep to be a perfect match.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:20 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

TheUnhinged wrote:
Very well written review. :)

Thanks, Dante!

baphomet wrote:
But yes, my initial impression was that the female voice should definitelty be the backbone of the songs' structure. Making the songwriting revolve around the female lines, that would be then predominant, would, I think, unlock the band's potential, because, imo, the male growls are too deep to be a perfect match.

Can't disagree. The new vocalist is even harsher than the guy on the debut album, and it does make for more of a distraction from the strength of the female vocals.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:39 am
Forum User

I agree that the female vocals are the strongest point of the band but also I find nothing remarkable or gripping in this otherwise nice album - I've played it a couple of times and it can barely hold my attention for more than a couple of minutes=)

Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:34 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Nice stuff, I quite like it. Judging from a first fleeting listen of the previous full-length, this one seems to be an improvement, too. And I definitely agree about the vocals. This is never going to become a classic in my book, though: while the production is top-notch and everybody in the band seems to know what they're doing, I feel that they're not putting enough effort into their songwriting. The songs could be so much more effective and memorable if they had been given more thought. As it stands (and this is even more true of the full-length), everything sounds rather generic and interchangeable. The guitars do little more than lay power-chord foundations, progressing with familiar harmonies. There's little in the way of dramatic development to really grip the listener emotionally, reducing this to pleasant background music when it could be atmospherically dense, punishing stuff. If you choose the melodic route, you'd better come up with some really good melodies! Still, it's among the better, more engaging releases I've heard these last few years, and there aren't many.

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]