Thermal Mass
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ivan : Memory 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Ivan : Memory

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3492.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:34 am
Forum User

Post Re: Ivan : Memory

I really like this album=)

While the argument that if you use something more sparsely it shines brighter it true, it depends entirely on the approach. The violins are always amazing so I really have no problem that the album is based on them so much. This is an album structured around the strings instead of the usual guitars. And nobody ever argued that guitars should not be used throughout the whole song in order for them to shine brighter. The strings role is not to highlight certain sections but to lead the songs, and lead they do with enormous success.

Also - since the strings have the leading role the guitars are underdeveloped and if they just "trimmed some fat" off the strings it would not be better "if nothing else was changed", on the contrary - the compositions just would not be as strong, because the guitars cannot lead the album on their own.

What the reviewer wants is an album structured entirely differently - leading guitars and strings that highlight parts of the composition, therefore standing out. Which is ok, but this is the standard approach and there are multiple examples of this. On the other hand few are the albums that let the strings have the leading role (I can think of only Wolvserpent actually) and this is a great and pretty unique example of this=)

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin, don't you find it a tad monotonous?

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:05 am
Forum User

I do not have a problem with monotonous music at all=)

For me monotonous/not monotonous is just a type of music, an approach at creating music, without any positive or negative connotation. Both can be executed successfully or not=)

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I didn't know this band, I liked the album. As K. says, it's rather daring to have used violin as a backbone and it works.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:31 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I fell asleep...

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:50 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I found it all a bit much, in the end, especially dipping into some of their older works as well.

I kind of agree with bapho that it works stylistically and technically, but with the caveat that you really have to be able to appreciate great slabs of violin work to actually enjoy it. And that's where it loses me: imo violin, used sparingly, makes for a great highlight/counterpoint tone (and, indeed, some of my favourite Gothic/Doom albums use it in exactly that way); here it crosses over into an indigestibly excessive sawing shrillness.

I thought it might've worked better with viola (a la String Driven Thing/Van Der Graaf) or even cello (Virgin Black) just to tone that down a bit, but maybe the arrangements wouldn't have survived transposing the knifing top-end sections into a deeper register (I kind of also agree with klamerin, that substantially changing any part of the whole string-led vibe of the album would actually make it a completely different beast. But I will take Wolvserpent over Ivan any day, they seem to have a better feel for not setting my teeth on edge. And sister band Aelter are still the better part of Wolvserpent, with nary a string in sight, for my money - but that's a whole different argument!).

So I'd probably say it's rated about right for me, though maybe for some different reasons than the ones presented in the review...

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

Ten minutes in and I'm ready to stick pins in my eyes....
The start of the second track is probably the nicest part. The rest is drivel.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]