Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Cold View : Born Banished Beaten Broken Buried 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post The Cold View : Born Banished Beaten Broken Buried

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3481.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:25 am
Forum User

Post Re: The Cold View : Born Banished Beaten Broken Buried

Well, even the artist admits to the album showing a new side of the project, while the review does not mention at all.

The album is much faster, energetic and lighter in tone than the previous ones, and apart from the vocals there is no real darkness to be found.

It has some very nice melodies, but no real misery. The uptempo pace takes away the effectiveness of the music, ruining the atmosphere the project was able to build previously. Now what is left is a mediocre album.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:51 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I didn't like it much...

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:30 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
Well, even the artist admits to the album showing a new side of the project, while the review does not mention at all.

The album is much faster, energetic and lighter in tone than the previous ones, and apart from the vocals there is no real darkness to be found.

It has some very nice melodies, but no real misery. The uptempo pace takes away the effectiveness of the music, ruining the atmosphere the project was able to build previously. Now what is left is a mediocre album.

I just think he's giving his fondness for ambient BM a bit more of a central focus: it isn't anything completely new to the band, but it perhaps hasn't been so prominently or continuously displayed before. In typical The Cold View style, you don't get a whole lot of explanation of his intentions... Sure, it is a bit more urgent and faster overall, but - really - "not quite as dark as the darkest moments of The Cold View" still leaves quite a lot of headroom for it to be quite outstandingly miserable. I found it still pretty bleak, despite the increased playfulness with tempo.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

endemoniada_88 wrote:
but - really - "not quite as dark as the darkest moments of The Cold View" still leaves quite a lot of headroom for it to be quite outstandingly miserable. I found it still pretty bleak, despite the increased playfulness with tempo.

Yes, it's not like he's suddenly writing pop music. Personally I prefer Wounds, but this one is a nice effort. Still an entity I'm curious to follow wherever he goes next.

Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]