A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Painthing : Where Are You Now...? 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Painthing : Where Are You Now...?

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3439.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:31 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Painthing : Where Are You Now...?

I don't always agree with Ian's lower-scoring reviews, but on this occasion, I think he may have erred on the side of generosity! I'm not sure there are any polite words to express how tooth-grindingly annoying this album actually is. Shame, I actually rather liked the artwork, and was hoping it might be a real nod towards Hangman's Chair...

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:41 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'll give it a new listen; we talked about it a bit on the forum; I know Merch hated it, and I perceived it as a doomy version of Moonspell, not that Moonspell would be a super interesting band though... (I do like Sin Pecado/ The Butterfly Effect, the rest is rather trying)

On a side note, I support the reviewer's point about native language in music! Damn people! stop vandalizing a language you hardly master. Sing in your own. Words are vehicles for intimate feelings, don't spoil them or reduce them, give them a chance to be expressed as accurately as possible. It's also quite arrognat not to have your lyrics proofread, especially when you're aiming at international market, I don't quite understand this lack of common sense.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:05 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
I'll give it a new listen; we talked about it a bit on the forum; I know Merch hated it

There are some good musical ideas, but I hated the clean singing... I had to switch it off after 2 tracks! :)

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:05 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Weird also the fact the review doesn't mention the -obvious- gothic touch. It's melo Gothic Doom to me. I quite like the opening song. There's some good stuff in there overall, it just needs to mature.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:25 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Weird also the fact the review doesn't mention the -obvious- gothic touch. It's melo Gothic Doom to me. I quite like the opening song. There's some good stuff in there overall, it just needs to mature.

I agree... there is potential, and also on the gothic element...

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yep, there's definitely some Gothic in there, and Moonspell's not a bad call for comparison. They could never really decide what exactly they were aiming for, either (personally, I prefer Darkness & Hope through to Memorial, but I do agree they're not the most interesting of bands), and this is so all over the place I can't really tell whether the Gothic vibes are by design or accident. The band themselves claim they're melodic Death Doom...

Funnily enough, I do agree that there are some decent ideas in there, but they seem to have found a different way to squelch them by chucking random different styles into every track. Maybe the best, if you get that far, is Psychosis 4:48, which actually has a fairly consistent Undergrave Experience kind of Italian-horror sound. I would have said the last track, but the clean male vocals are terrible, and half the time the keyboards sound like a digitized sunk plunger in action. It's actually a bit frustrating how much better this could have been with a bit of a focus, compared to how horrible it actually is. I'm almost willing to believe it's that sense of 'so near...yet so far' disappointment which annoyed me more than anything else!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:26 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
I would have said the last track, but the clean male vocals are terrible

It's the typical gothic buffoonery, grotesque and theatrical. Ok, it's comical and rather pathetic, but I'd say it sticks to a tradition!

Quote:
the keyboards sound like a digitized sunk plunger in action

sunk plunger? you mean sink plunger? :D I don't quite hear anything resembling this!

no, really, this is not a bad album, it's just a mess, it lacks a focus and some vocal training lessons! It reminds a bit of Poema Arcanvs also, in their opulent leanings.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:22 am
Forum User

It's so boring an album, I could not even notice the shortcomings you are talking about (ok, the clean vocals are noticeably annoying=)))

I find this similar to Qualen's album in that it is so stale that it does not matter if its executed properly or not=)

Pity as the band name is kinda cool and Psychosis 4:48 is a reference to a nice play (only reversed, I guess, who knows=)

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I read this on the site's fb:
Quote:
NEWS - Painthing are now officially the first Doom band to reach the Platinum Record status.

:laugh:

Mon May 06, 2019 6:50 pm
Forum User

Haha, this made me go wtf as well=)

And made me think how many sales does that mean? I know for different regions different number of sales qualify gold/platinum, etc.

But nevertheless this simply sounds like a total gimmick - the biggest selling doom record just cannot happen in this era (and especially with this album=))

Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I know Solitude Prods used to print 1000 copies of each of their releases. This was ten years ago. So 1000 is no prize level, one can conclude. It depends on each national market and on the actual state of the business. I can't imagine this band sold 10000 albums! I don't know... must be less...2000 (it wouold already be huge)?

edit: the wiki page in Polish about record sale prizes let undertsand this would be 20000! :shock:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certyfika ... _muzycznym

Thu May 09, 2019 6:44 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

It's 500 for Solitude now, or at least that was the standard agreement in place when I signed in 2015.

I think platinum is a million in UK! So that was what I was going on haha.

Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
edit: the wiki page in Polish about record sale prizes let undertsand this would be 20000!

They're a mostly Polish band, so that would probably mean 30,000 copies, assuming it comes under the 'Domestic Pop' category. It can include digital - downloads count as 1/10 of an album sale, and some streaming services count as 1/100.

But I flat out don't believe it, they've sold the grand total of 7 copies through Bandcamp and they've got 700 Facebook followers - that doesn't sound like a fanbase prepared to buy tens of thousands of copies. Maybe if the Polish Phono Awards lot have a special category for underground metal, where you go gold at 100 sales and platinum at 200...

Thu May 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
so that would probably mean 30,000 copies, assuming it comes under the 'Domestic Pop' category..

I saw that distinction, but I the translation by Google read "foreign/domestic repertoire, I didn't know how to interpret this and went for foreign as it's written in English... Anway, if you're right, 30000 is all the most unbelievable.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
But I flat out don't believe it, they've sold the grand total of 7 copies through Bandcamp

I bought them all and burned them... :D

Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:
But I flat out don't believe it, they've sold the grand total of 7 copies through Bandcamp

I bought them all and burned them... :D

:D

yeah, still a mystery this so-called record sales... Polish nationalism propaganda?

Fri May 10, 2019 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]