A Dream Of Poe - The Wraith Uncrowned
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Dictator : Dysangelist (Remaster) 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Dictator : Dysangelist (Remaster)

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3432.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Dictator : Dysangelist (Remaster)

Excellent album, I wouldn't speak of it differently as I did back then, and your input is an excellent addendum as well, but I didn't get what label put this re-release out...!

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 am
Forum User

I agree with both of you - excellent and very nuanced album with lots going on.

But as baphomet had said - everything is subtle, making it quite hard to listen to. Unlike most black/doom, it relies much less on melody. There is almost nothing catchy there that would ease its length. So while it is closer to acts like Nortt and Mistress of the Dead, for me the listening experience is similar to bands like Walk through Fire and Abandon that do not offer anything to the listener in order to make it enjoyable - only bleak, at times empty blackness=)

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:13 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Excellent album, I wouldn't speak of it differently as I did back then, and your input is an excellent addendum as well, but I didn't get what label put this re-release out...!

I've made that clearer in the review now, but it's on Aesthetic Death.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:

I've made that clearer in the review now, but it's on Aesthetic Death.[/quote]

Ok! I eventually found it, truth be told, but it wasn't clearly expressed in your review... :D

When you get a chance to listen to the first draft, tell us if you think the difference is that noticeable.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:42 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I can't get into it again... it bores me... :)

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:06 am
Forum User

Well they couldn't have done any wonders to the source material since it was pretty raw to begin with, so it does not shine with brilliant production now either...

But it sounds really good for what it is - all subtle details are clearly discernible though it's still kinda hazy on the whole, but this might be a desired effect. All in all - this is one of the best reissues I have - the visual presentation is stunning - preserving the very old school aesthetics, the psalm book is a joy to look up - while the sound is as good as the source material allows.

I've only listened to the digital version of the original (though I always regretted not getting the Pale Horse tape back then due to the outrageous shipping costs) on PC speakers and headphones so I cannot make a direct comparison, but it clearly sounds much much better now. Not reaching the Esoteric Emotions or The Pernicious Enigma transformation level of course=)

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

well, yes, the production wasn't great in the first place and I've grown out of this raw, tortured stuff now...

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
Well they couldn't have done any wonders to the source material since it was pretty raw to begin with, so it does not shine with brilliant production now either...

But it sounds really good for what it is - all subtle details are clearly discernible though it's still kinda hazy on the whole, but this might be a desired effect. All in all - this is one of the best reissues I have - the visual presentation is stunning - preserving the very old school aesthetics, the psalm book is a joy to look up - while the sound is as good as the source material allows.

I've only listened to the digital version of the original (though I always regretted not getting the Pale Horse tape back then due to the outrageous shipping costs) on PC speakers and headphones so I cannot make a direct comparison, but it clearly sounds much much better now. Not reaching the Esoteric Emotions or The Pernicious Enigma transformation level of course=)

Pretty much agree with this, having now listened to the CD, and I've added a footnote to that effect. It's a little less shrill, a little more bassy, and sounds a little more clearly defined in the foreground instruments. Nothing major that really leaps out, but taken all together, it adds up to a better sound.

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:23 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It was a while since I hadn't listened to it, I'm still thrilled by the richness of the atmosphere and the overall bleakness. It definitely belongs to the bleakest, most possessed FD ever. I only see Nortt and Of Darkness to be alble to craft such deleterious soundscapes.
Mike, would you know what happened to the guy? Surely he hasn't stopped composing music...

edit: ok, I checked the MA, the guy has launched quite a bunch of BM projects, couldn't care less!

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]