Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Evoken : Hypnagogia 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Evoken : Hypnagogia

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3371.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:14 am
Forum User

Post Re: Evoken : Hypnagogia

I still haven't listened to the whole album but to be honest, for such a major, high profile band I was expecting a more thorough examination of the album=)

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:25 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Not sure about that - after all these years, is there really much left to say about how <b> Evoken</b> go about their business? They do great work, but without much in the way of surprise - what would you consider "more relevant" and "thorough" when it comes to writing this one up?

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 am
Forum User

I meant I'd like to see more details about the actual sound of the album.

I've heard only two songs from the album and the review does not really help me picture it. What I got from the review is that it's good because Evoken are good, professional musicians and whatever they decide to do will be good. But what kind of album did they decide to do this time? I don't know.

The only details I spotted were "more reverberated harsh vocals and some intense bursts of Death Metal" which is good, I'd just want more of this.

And I disagree about the lack of surprises - the split with Beneath the Frozen Soil was a surprise. Atra Mors is different than the previous ones. The first two full lengths are different from what followed. The song "Ceremony Of Bleeding" from this album is certainly a surprise showcasing elements we have not seen in Evoken before, which made me think there is a general change in style.

Of course I do not expect that the reviews will reflect my ideas about what they would be like, this is all simply an opinion. An opinion of someone who have not heard the actual album, so I cannot even know if there is really that much to be talked about. But my main idea behind all this is that this is a high-profile band with the potential to attract more readers especially this early before the release of the album=)

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:51 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

As for me, having given two listens to this album, I feel they ran out of steam. So many years to come up with this, I find it very disappointing. Nothing grabbed me, sadly! It's not that there're no ideas at all, but the sum of them never makes a song that stands out, they are never cleverly structured or let's say never integrated with the inspiration this band got me used to, it's just there, flowing in a floppy, idle way without any wow-moments...

I feel this band has aged, and possibly their universe isn't rich enough, it doesn't open to enough possible ways, depriving them of the room needed to develop new aspects, experiment new shapes... It keeps stuttering. I feel a lack of commitment, or just a general distanciation from the death doom aesthetics, what leads to a tedious result.

And I agree about the reveiw being too elusive. :O

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I listened to it too. True, there isn't much progression or evolution. But it's more approachable and more melodic with some good acoustic touches. I was expecting more. It's a reasonable and competent album, but not very forward-thinking...

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
I meant I'd like to see more details about the actual sound of the album.

I've heard only two songs from the album and the review does not really help me picture it. What I got from the review is that it's good because Evoken are good, professional musicians and whatever they decide to do will be good...

Fair points (though actually - I've only really half-listened to it, and that was pretty much my first impression in a nutshell :D). I was just curious: personally, I quite often find it more difficult to find anything very interesting to say about bigger, well-established bands. It often seems like just regurgitating stuff everyone already knows, when they've already decided well in advance whether or not the album's a must-have preorder. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case for this particular review, it just seemed like a convenient one to hang the question off!

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I would be tempted to say that the bigger the band, the bigger the disillusion. I wrote a couple of negative reviews about Ahab or Mourning Beloveth in which I felt sort of obliged to defy the majority of fans by deconstructing the common opinion about these albums. Inevitably, you're required to dwell in details, draw comparisons to older works, put things in perspective.

But even if this Evoken album was not a disappointing effort, which it is imo, the gap between this new release and the previous one would alone account for a more complete "global check up" of where the band now stands. After all, it's Evoken we're talking about.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:04 am
Forum User

The only Evoken albums I really needed were Embrace the Emptiness and Quietus...
This band has been blown out of proportions...

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
It's not that there're no ideas at all, but the sum of them never makes a song that stands out,

I must moderate this opinion of mine, 'The Fear After' does shine as a typical Evoken song. That's probably why it opens the album. The rest is dull in comparison, with some moments of brillance scattered here and there, I can't deny it. In fact, yes, there are many melodic ideas, too many I think, because it obviously hinders the band's usual fluency. Awkward song structures with odd articulations, grating links... A sign of that are the two interludes, nice stuff, but useless on their own, like the band didn't know what to do with them... :angry:

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:08 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I’m with klamerin here. The review should have put the album in perspective and compared it to the band’s previous efforts in more detail, especially since it is, in fact, different and fresh in some respects. True, it’s not a radical reinvention of the Evoken sound, you still recognise the band’s trademarks throughout, but I hear more of an evolution than on their last two albums. The production, for instance, is entirely different from anything they’ve recorded prior, and this warrants at least a brief but accurate description of the overall sound in relation to that of earlier albums. “Tidy production” doesn’t really say much. I also found it a bit misleading to talk about new Death Metal influences when, in fact, they’re part of the band’s roots and they’ve had fast-paced sections scattered throughout their first two albums at the very least. All of this said, I think the rating and overall verdict of the review are still spot-on, and I disagree with bapho in this respect. For me this is the best Evoken album since ‘Antithesis of Light’, and certainly no disappointment. In fact it’s the first worthwhile Doom album I’ve heard in a long time, to be honest, apart from the latest VdMT. It’s true that the transitions within the song structures can seem a little sudden and random at times, but this has always been a case with Evoken to some degree.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

d.mimøsa wrote:
apart from the latest VdMT.

Ha! The mention of VDMT is quite interesting; then we'll agree to disagree since I can't stand VDMT... And indeed, I have quite the same reaction to them than to this Evoken album: all over the place, inconsistent and try-too-hard-to-be-different kind of progy death doom... :p

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

I do understand your stance regarding VdMT. They're definitely not an easy listen, and I don't put them on very often, but their latest album is still an accomplished piece of work that deserves respect in my opinion. When in the right mood, it's really captivating. And I can't say that about many Doom albums these days.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]