SolitudeProd
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Aiauasca - "Rise Of The Molecule" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Aiauasca - "Rise Of The Molecule"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3330.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:11 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Aiauasca - "Rise Of The Molecule"

I feel this is a missed opportunity to convey a really different atmosphere. I fail to sense any kind of otherwordly drug-triggered experience (honestly, does anybody feel anything spiritual, verging on extasy or existential malaise?).The Rainforest connexion is hardly perceived, and that's too bad, because those very scarce samples of rain pouring down and birds' trills are relevant but yet, not integrated smoothly enough within the songs to bring you the expected voyage... There was a huge sound bank to colour the music though.

Musically, it's solid, yes, but heard before so many times...

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
I feel this is a missed opportunity to convey a really different atmosphere. I fail to sense any kind of otherwordly drug-triggered experience (honestly, does anybody feel anything spiritual, verging on extasy or existential malaise?).The Rainforest connexion is hardly perceived, and that's too bad, because those very scarce samples of rain pouring down and birds' trills are relevant but yet, not integrated smoothly enough within the songs to bring you the expected voyage... There was a huge sound bank to colour the music though.

That's a left-brained philosophical response. You need some Ayauasca! :D

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:52 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

curious to try, but for the record, marijuana does me nothing! :O

Seriously, do you sometimes write your reviews when under the influence of drugs? Not that your prose makes me wonder... but I know some cna't listen to music without some chemical enhancements :D

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:24 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
Seriously, do you sometime write your reviews when under the influence of drugs?

Seriously, no. Unless you count tea... :p

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:10 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

VesicaP23 wrote:

Seriously, no. Unless you count tea... :p

reckless!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:49 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
I fail to sense any kind of otherwordly drug-triggered experience (honestly, does anybody feel anything spiritual, verging on extasy or existential malaise?).

Tough question. Yes, to a point - I think there's enough going on with the rhythms and progressions that is a quite synaesthesiac experience, stamping its own external and alien sensory patterns into your perceptions. But then, I've had equally trippy experiences standing in server machine rooms for hours, to the point where you start hearing all sorts of weird voices and experiencing all kinds of weird physical sensations from the constant battering of white noise detuning your brain. So I guess it's very much dependent on a) which drugs b) how you personally perceive their effects and c) how you 'feel' the effects of extreme music on both subliminal and conscious levels. I wouldn't call this an invocation of anything particularly spiritual, ecstatic or existential to me, but I would say it conveys some effective 'otherworldliness' if you want to go with its flow. Or listen to it enough times to write an informed review about it...

baphomet wrote:
Seriously, do you sometime write your reviews when under the influence of drugs? Not that your prose makes me wonder... but I know some cna't listen to music without some chemical enhancements :D

Personally, I have no idea how that would work. I can't string more than a couple of coherent sentences together after even the mildest of alcohol-based indulgences, never mind considering writing a whole review fully 'under the influence'. I'm pretty much of the opinion that, under those circumstances, you're listening more to the chemicals than what the music's actually saying anyway. It may be fun to do that, but it's bollocks as far as producing any sort of rational analysis is concerned. Subjectively, listening to Bauhaus's 'Mask' on LSD back in the early '80s was maybe the single best musical experience I've ever had - objectively, well, let's just say it really isn't the best album of all time... :D

Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

The ayahuasca experience is not about "ecstasy, otherwordliness, or existential malaise", (the last of which I doubt many indiginous tribes people have any idea about), although they can all be a part of it. DMT is not LSD, this is not some 'recreational' thing or some new age hippified bullshit, like having a sweat lodge at Glastonbury with a glass of merlot. It is a peeling back of the veil, a glimpse at the greater truth, and as such, it can be a very intense, heavy and for some people a deeply troubling, frightening and destructive experience. The experience cares nothing for the Westernised ego, the drink itself reeks to high heaven and many people will vomit the first time they use it. From there it becomes a more pleasant experience. I think the band nailed much of this. I had a good bit of contact with them, and they are pretty knowledgeable about their subject matter. Granted, the music is simply good Sludge Doom, but they get bonus points for appealing to a subject I am ..er...interested in and familiar with, and also for thinking outside the box (as did Angakok), which is itself, one of the things ayahuasca will get you doing...

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
I think there's enough going on with the rhythms and progressions that is a quite synaesthesiac experience, stamping its own external and alien sensory patterns into your perceptions.

Nah, you're on drugs right there, aren't you? :D
Listening to any music of the extreme kind, particularly doom that relies on low notes and droning vibes, has undoubtly some effects on the mind's chemistry. But to say that this peculiar album affect your perceptions is a stretch!

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:58 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

VesicaP23 wrote:
The ayahuasca experience is not about "ecstasy, otherwordliness, or existential malaise", (the last of which I doubt many indiginous tribes people have any idea about),.

the "existential malaise" part was linked to the album's last song, as I understood it was about an occidental drug addict...

I can see this aboriginal drug is special and used to specific spiritual goals, but its real nature is not really the point. Point is, does this "special" theme make this peculiar album "special"? To me, no. It doesn't make it special neither musically, nor does it grant it any special mind-affecting power in comparison to many other albums that you roughly can classify in the same, well-delineated style :;):

But I'll give it an other extra careful listen today... We'll see if my mind gets violated by unsettling alien perceptions, I'd like that!

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:01 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
Point is, does this "special" theme make this peculiar album "special"?

Well, I think we may agree to disagree here. 'Special' might not be the word I'd use but it does make it stand out from the crowd a bit. That and the fact it appeals on a personal level. I am unable to be subjective about music, and I refuse even to try to be. If it was the same music with more 'standard' themes, would I have scored it differently? Probably I would have, but I always take into consideration as much of the whole package as possible, even down to the way a band presents themselves and their art.

baphomet wrote:

This might be part of an earlier 'discussion', but I'm not here to criticise or rubbish bands purely because there are 'better' albums available or because I've heard it all before. I listen to what they've accomplished. If this was the first Sludge Doom album I ever heard, I'd be quite impressed. I don't let the fact that it isn't the first one I've heard take anythng away from them.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

VesicaP23 wrote:
That and the fact it appeals on a personal level.

Quote:
I am unable to be subjective about music, and I refuse even to try to be.

You mean "objective", surely. Of course, there's alwyas a bias. Mine being to have listened to the album while totally ignoring its central theme.

Quote:
but I'm not here to criticise or rubbish bands purely because there are 'better' albums available or because I've heard it all before.

That was not the sense of my first input. I just placed the actual musical content in perspective with your development about the theme as conceptual framework.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:29 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have a headache... not drug induced...

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

VesicaP23 wrote:

Quote:
I am unable to be subjective about music, and I refuse even to try to be.

You mean "objective", surely. .

Yes, obviously. Not sure what happened with that whole paragraph in fact. Reading it back there's more text missing...I don't proof my stuff! Mike usually does that!

baphomet wrote:
Quote:
but I'm not here to criticise or rubbish bands purely because there are 'better' albums available or because I've heard it all before.

That was not the sense of my first input. I just placed the actual musical content in perspective with your development about the theme as conceptual framework.

baphomet wrote:

Nah, sorry, that last line, in fact that whole opening paragraph, is a thinly veiled put down, whichever way you look at it. Which is fine btw. But let's not pretend otherwise. :;):

Merchant of Doom wrote:
I have a headache...

Take some drugs :p

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:
I think there's enough going on with the rhythms and progressions that is a quite synaesthesiac experience, stamping its own external and alien sensory patterns into your perceptions.

......But I think you may have misunderstood my point, which wasn't to make any exceptional claims for this particular album. That's just how I experience extreme/noise/experimental music of all kinds - if it's going to work for me, it pretty much by definition has to have some sort of 'otherworldly voyage' quality to it.....

baphomet wrote:
MIKE: I'VE DELETED A PART OF YOUR EXCELLENT POST BY MISTAKE!! SORRY!!!! :(

I wanted to press "quote" and press "edit" instead, jeez...

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:03 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

VesicaP23 wrote:

Nah, sorry, that last line, in fact that whole opening paragraph, is a thinly veiled put down, whichever way you look at it. Which is fine btw. But let's not pretend otherwise. :;):

At any rate, I kind of like these little controversial moments. I even d'say It's one of the forum's reasons for being. Thanks for giving me so many opportunities! :laugh: :beerchug:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
VesicaP23 wrote:
At any rate, I kind of like these little controversial moments. I even d'say It's one of the forum's reasons for being. Thanks for giving me so many opportunities! :laugh: :beerchug:

Oh, absolutely, I agree. You're welcome! Cheers... :beerchug:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:32 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
baphomet wrote:MIKE: I'VE DELETED A PART OF YOUR EXCELLENT POST BY MISTAKE!! SORRY!!!! I wanted to press "quote" and press "edit" instead, jeez...

No worries! I don't know if it'll be excellent second time around, but it went something like this:
baphomet wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

Just coffee, as it happens :p
But I think you may have misunderstood my point, which wasn't to make any exceptional claims for this particular album. That's just how I experience extreme/noise/experimental music of all kinds - if it's going to work for me, it pretty much by definition has to have some sort of 'otherworldly voyage' quality to it. It doesn't have to be anything like as intense, compelling or dislocating as a full-on chemical experience, but - unlike more 'musical' music - it does have to be somewhere on that spectrum of imposing something of its own 'shifted perception' for me to appreciate it.
So, for me, this album does do enough to fit into that category, no more, no less. Which, on reflection, is probably more of a subtle and equivocal answer than you were actually looking for. I just wanted to put the point across that, no, it doesn't raise me to new mystical realms (and, frankly, even if it did, lacking any of Matt's knowledge of the source material, I'd still have no idea whether it was reflecting that accurately!) but it doesn't do entirely nothing, either.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:14 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

your brain is a machine. It's like a photocopy! I remember every detail now.
Now let me post again the hilarious response I made before I realized my mistake:

Fair enough. If I listen to so much music, it's also to use it as an outlet, and not only to cover the vacuum cleaner's noise from next door...

That was worth it, huh? :D

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:29 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Most definitely :laugh:

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]