Radioactive
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
YOB - "Our Raw Heart" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post YOB - "Our Raw Heart"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3319.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: YOB - "Our Raw Heart"

Havn't listened to it yet so will get back to you with comments, but glad it was reviewed by somebody who feels the same way about Catharsis as I do. That record really changed my life. I got it whilst doing my GCSE's and all I can remember is sitting in my exams desperate to go home to play it again. And imagining the title track start to finish in my head when I should have been concentrating. I've loved a lot of what else they have done, but NOTHING has touched me like that. Perhaps this will...

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

I like them, but not a whole lot. Nice to hear what that album means to you. You've also triggered a memory. Being one of the first year to do the 'new' GCSE's, I was utterly obsessed with 7th Son by Maiden at the time. That and Original Masters by Jethro Tull would get played every day for at least six months. I know every note on both those albums and to this day I still expect the end of Only The Good Die Young to skip a bit at the end because my vinyl copy did from time to time... :D

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:16 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've come to like this album very much. It's a few minutes too long though. There're some moments when you think: "now change the pace, move on to something else!", but it doesn't happen too often. And I like his clear voice, very distinctive.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:21 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
"now change the pace, move on to something else!"

Too much stoner has spoiled you, you need some strong funeral doom fix for a reminder why variety is not always important, hehe=)))

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Listeningright now to Ea's epoymous, and god, those guitar leads are so beautiful. It crawls, but it progresses. :D

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

klamerin wrote:
Too much stoner has spoiled you, you need some strong funeral doom fix for a reminder why variety is not always important, hehe=)))

Still waiting for the ultimate blend between funeral doom slowness and stoner metal fuzz/psychedelic sounding clean vocals, along the lines of Windhand's slowest moments.

Yob is one of those bands that I have to really give it some time to properly digest each song and album before I can sincerely appreciate it. My band mates and friends all think Mike Scheidt is a genius, and while I do like the music he writes, something has always turned me off of it. I think a lot of it is his inclusion of harsh vocals (I'm a stickler for feeling as though stoner/psych doom should be exclusively clean sung) and more post-metal sounding riffage.

That being said, though, Marrow from the Clearing the Path to Ascend album is pure genius.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:29 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

After not being able to get past the second track, I decided to skip it :D and I was pleasantly surprised and... confused... to me, this album lacks total focus. It moves in too many directions, but each track is pretty good and has its merit, apart from massively dragging in places. I will need to listen to it several times. At the moment, I'm sitting on the fence.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]