Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Eirð - "Rituals (Reissue)" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Eirð - "Rituals (Reissue)"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3285.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:50 am
Forum User

Post Re: Eirð - "Rituals (Reissue)"

I love the band and this album.

I'm following the band closely since the very first demo and the reviewer is pretty correct that this is not really an album but more of a collection of songs. I'm not sure what was the intention during their conception, but they were all released song by song as demos together with some others, and only a year or two later were repacked as albums (and if my memory serves right, these packages were also changed a couple of times and even some of the songs titles slightly renamed.)

I'm not sure exactly what makes me like them so much, but for me they are totally captivating, I can hardly stop any song that is playing, which is weird as there is neither that much going on nor any particular tension in them.

And I find the comment about the electronics in the last song strange. The version I have (bought a year ago probably, before it was part of an album) does not have anything like that. The sound is pretty similar to the other two songs. I noticed on the bandcamp page that the album has been "remixed and remastered" which might be the key, but that version will "be available soon", so I'm not really sure...

edit: yes, my version is the same as the one on bandcamp titled "RITUALS (2015) - DEMOVERSIONS" and it sounds great, I've never seen the one titled "Rituals (Reissue)", so maybe he experimented on it. I'd love to hear it though...

And another thought - Reissue of what? This has never been officially released before that, really weird...

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:49 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
I noticed on the bandcamp page that the album has been "remixed and remastered" which might be the key, but that version will "be available soon", so I'm not really sure...

klamerin wrote:
And another thought - Reissue of what? This has never been officially released before that, really weird...

To confirm, this is the same 2015 set of mixes.
It's not very clear what the deal is, to be honest, but we were sent the promo by Loneravn Records, who have put all of Eirdh's back catalogue out through their own Bandcamp with release dates of 2018. But then they link back to Eirdh's own Bancamp listing them as 2017 releases if you want to actually buy them. But because they're now technically "on label" rather than self-released, and with a different release year, I thought it was best to list them as "reissues".

klamerin wrote:
And I find the comment about the electronics in the last song strange. The version I have (bought a year ago probably, before it was part of an album) does not have anything like that.

I believe that's referring to the last couple of minutes of the track, where it segues into the very Tangerine Dream like outro section. I didn't mind that too much myself, but it is a bit of a clunky transition and obviously not to everyone's taste, reviewer included.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Forum User

Thanks for the comments, its all makes sense now=)))

As for the outro - I even like=)

Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:54 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

The Review wrote:
The earliest results were that this album was released through Ukrainian label Loneravn Records and that I was to expect "Atmospheric Doom Metal" on this release. It's pretty imperative that Doom Metal in general has an atmosphere though, so I am not entirely sure what that term was supposed to mean!

Well, its a genre on our site with a large list of bands...
http://www.doom-metal.com/bandlist.php?list=117

Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I paid 3$ for those three songs, and damn, this is some very fine solemn, atmo, spiritual doom. I din't hear anything approaching Tangerine Dreams in the third track... Funny... It fades out with a female, slavic singing. And that's it. Very fine piece of music anyhow.

Tue May 01, 2018 3:27 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Funny... It fades out with a female, slavic singing. And that's it. Very fine piece of music anyhow.

That's odd - mine segues from that vocal fade-out to just over a minute of very T. Dream keyboardy stuff...

Tue May 01, 2018 8:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
baphomet wrote:
Funny... It fades out with a female, slavic singing. And that's it. Very fine piece of music anyhow.

That's odd - mine segues from that vocal fade-out to just over a minute of very T. Dream keyboardy stuff...

When I listened to this ep yesterday, I was riding my bike over a 50km trip, and probably, the bumps and gravels on the road and my own breathing prevented me from hearing this very subbtle (and very short) last part.
Yes, I hear it now, but it's nothing "electronic", it's an ambient texture, something very common in FD, an evanescent, ethereal whisper, that is the PERFECT ending for this track.
In fact, this ep reminds me strongly of EA's soundscapes. I really can't see anything here likely to put anyone on edge! :O

Wed May 02, 2018 4:36 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't disagree, to be honest (well, apart from the fact that it's very much the sort of textural insert that predates FD by some years, and was very common in '70s electronic and keyboard-led Krautrock, but that's not really anything worth starting an argument over, just one of those 'identifying with your most formative influences' things). Personally, I think it's a good album, pretty much start to finish...

Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

When I read all the fuss about that last part, I pictured something like the WTF hidden track on the sole All Souls Day's album, coming like from another album, from another planet, some electro dance shit...

Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

I'm with both of you here. It's not 'electronica' as such, more like the ambient drone style soundscapes common to things like Leyland Kirby, Library Tapes, and Svarte Granier et al. But they themselves take a few of their cues from the likes of T D and Klaus Schulze. So I can see your point Mike! Anyway, it all flows pretty effortlessly from where I'm standing...Much of the album has these textures in the mix somewhere and it seems to me that as all the other instrumentation dies away, all you're left with is the ambience that began the whole piece of work in the first place. It's far from an incongruous ending.

Personal note: I appear to be on sticky ground here...that's TWO Funeral Doom releases in a month that have impressed me... :O Luckily though Thou have a new album out so I'll be back to my sludgy self in no time... :D

Wed May 02, 2018 10:08 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I said that those ambient droney parts were common in Funeral Doom, but I still wouldn't label this album FD. It's more something like atmo doom with an emphasis on folkish vocal arrangements. It lacks the idiosyncratic crushingness and bleakness of FD, imo.
Sorry to be perfectly annoying! :D

Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
I said that those ambient droney parts were common in Funeral Doom, but I still wouldn't label this album FD. It's more something like atmo doom with an emphasis on folkish vocal arrangements. It lacks the idiosyncratic crushingness and bleakness of FD, imo.
Sorry to be perfectly annoying! :D

No problem at all. In fact thanks for the clarification! Only one Funeral release this month then. For a moment I thought I was losing it... :D

Wed May 02, 2018 10:19 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What FD album are you talking about? (just to be sure... :D)

Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 am
Staff Member
Staff Member

baphomet wrote:
What FD album are you talking about? (just to be sure... :D)

Lelantos - Akrasia

Wed May 02, 2018 10:48 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Ok, right tag! :D No real excellent stuff in FD these last months, sadly. Monolithe has some FD sides though and the more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced this is their best, and one that'll likely make it to my year top five...

Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No, this is not funeral doom... not bad, though... I don't seem to be able to listen to the Reissue, only the Demos seem to be available on bandcamp...

Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merch, Mike explains here above what exactly those "reissues" are. In fact, this is the exact same tracks, same mix, same production. It's only that they are now endorsed by a label, 3 years after their release on Eirð's own bandcamp.

(How do you pronounced "Eirð"? And do you know what it means?)

Wed May 02, 2018 12:41 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Merch, Mike explains here above what exactly those "reissues" are. In fact, this is the exact same tracks, same mix, same production. It's only that they are now endorsed by a label, 3 years after their release on Eirð's own bandcamp.

(How do you pronounced "Eirð"? And do you know what it means?)

sorry... I must admit I didn't read the whole thread...

eirð means clemency, mercy, charity... no idea how it's pronounced... :)

Wed May 02, 2018 1:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

In English "ð" is "th", like in "this". It's a typical linguistics sign. No idea if it is pronounced the same way in Icelandic.

Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next