Doom-metalMDB
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Ophelia - "Sympathize With Your Phantasy" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Ophelia - "Sympathize With Your Phantasy"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3263.

P.S. Sorry, Mike, I deleted your post by mistake, when deleting mine...

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:09 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Ophelia - "Sympathize With Your Phantasy"

Very good album... an obscure gem... but it's atmospheric gothic metal to me... :D

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merchant of Doom wrote:
Very good album... an obscure gem... but it's atmospheric gothic metal to me... :D

...and you're right on that. It's pretty much where I'd say the majority of the music ends up. I'm not trying to sell it as a core 'Doom' album, in fact, I'm not trying to sell it at all. I just thought it was one of the more interesting and esoteric variants of the bands that took inspiration from Estatic Fear's works.
I do have a spare copy of the CD to pass on - if anyone's interested in that, then feel free to PM/e-mail me: I'd like to see it go to a good home. Genuine queries only, please - I'm aware those trade for comparatively big money on Discogs due to their rarity, and I have no interest in facilitating that kind of scalping...!

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 am
Forum User

Not only the review is great, but it's a wonderful find of such an obscure album.

Personally I hear more than enough pure doom sections to justify the inclusion of the band on this site.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am
Forum User

Thank you Mike for taking time to review this wonderful album. There's a special place for "Sympathize With Your Fantasy" in my heart! It was hard, indeed, to get a physical copy between my hands but I managed to grab one on e-bay, fortunately. I think there are some "pure doom sections" on this album indeed, although "doom" is just one of the many styles exploited by OPHELIA, a band which plays a very unique atmospheric/ethereal/doomy gothic metal with Korean music influences, some classical folk (that probably owes a lot to ESTATIC FEAR) and a very strong progressive approach. You can even hear some distinct post-rock elements here and there. The musical abilities of these guys are phenomenal, and they compose incredibly touching songs. I could definitely cry over the "Floating and Drowning" solo...

To me, this truly is a masterpiece, and believe me, I don't write that down very often. A real hidden gem!

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
Not only the review is great, but it's a wonderful find of such an obscure album.
Personally I hear more than enough pure doom sections to justify the inclusion of the band on this site.

Walran wrote:
Thank you Mike for taking time to review this wonderful album.
To me, this truly is a masterpiece, and believe me, I don't write that down very often. A real hidden gem!

My pleasure, and thanks for the comments. Pretty much exactly what I think of it!

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]