Aesthetic Death
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Drug Honkey - "Cloak Of Skies" 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Drug Honkey - "Cloak Of Skies"

Read the review here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/reviews.php?album=3256.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:31 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Re: Drug Honkey - "Cloak Of Skies"

Thanks the the reviewer, I've just paid a visit to the band's bandcamp to check the state of their "moving-so-fast" stocks, and they happen to be selling a bundle with this album and Jupiterian's latest, that's the perfect offer if you ask me, and shipping prices are sweet too!

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:57 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
Thanks the the reviewer, I've just paid a visit to the band's bandcamp to check the state of their "moving-so-fast" stocks, and they happen to be selling a bundle with this album and Jupiterian's latest, that's the perfect offer if you ask me, and shipping prices are sweet too!

Oh, the privilege of not having a wife and kids, ha, B.? The stuff we can buy...
I envy you sometimes...

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:04 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

weird thoughts that you have. I don't think two cds can jeopardize the household budget...

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:40 am
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
weird thoughts that you have. I don't think two cds can jeopardize the household budget...

2 CDs per day or per week you mean. Remind me how many a year? Plus all the digital stuff you buy (seriously, who buys digital?). I'm dying to buy all the underground stuff in the world, but fucking priorities...

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:16 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

wyrd wrote:
baphomet wrote:

2 CDs per day or per week you mean. Remind me how many a year? Plus all the digital stuff you buy (seriously, who buys digital?). I'm dying to buy all the underground stuff in the world, but fucking priorities...

It's a fair point. No kids, and a half-decent salary, means I can pretty much impulse-buy anything I come across on the 'net that I fancy - and I still often run out of money before I run out of month... I'd have to be a whole lot more careful if I was balancing up a more serious household budget.
Digital...well, only if there's absolutely no physical alternative available and it's something I'd really like to have on my Bandcamp supporters list. Otherwise, just no.
Not that I'm trying to answer for bapho, who doubtless has his own criteria, but it's a subject I do find interesting, coming from a pre-interent background. We've advanced a long way from weighing up whether it's better to pick a fistful of bargain-bin vinyls or a couple of 'proper name' releases from the local Virgin Megastore, or heading down to the local secondhand shop to se if they have anything interesting in the racks...in some ways I miss those days, in some ways I really appreciate being able to dial up Discogs and just look for 'cheapest plus p&p' for any band I care to consider. As to whether that 24/7 worldwide availabilty is a good or a bad thing overall, you'd probably need a finer mind than mine to figure out the full ethical considerations involved...I'm pretty sure we've both gained and lost with that, but I struggle to put it into exact words what that covers!

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, it's a matter of priorities, starting with deciding if you want kids, or not.

I don't buy that much stuff, really. Lately a much more digital albums than ever, but that still doens't amount to gigabytes.
I used to spend my money a bit too randomly, and eventually ended owning stuff that I lost quickly interest in. I think I'm more cautious with that now, trying to pick the right music, with the used-by date that should be as late as possible.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 am
Forum User

The bigger my collection, the more music I want, even though I know, I know I won't be able to listen to everything I own in a single lifetime. It's my only obsession and I have become fucking greedy about it. It's never enough, I always want more and more and more new music (so many wonderful albums and bands are popping up on a daily basis) and there's always the lagging between the music I want and how much I can afford, and it's frustrating. Suddenly I realize there are some real gems in my collection to which I haven't listened for 20 years or more, and I throw on my turntable Suffocation's Effigy of the Forgotten or Immortal's At the Heart of Winter and I'm happy. In a perfect world though, in a perfect world...

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:58 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

If I have a more-than-half-decent salary can I have kids and still buy records? I'm considering it because I need a replacement for my dad as best bro when he passes (hopefully not for many years). But I love having disposable income.

100 years ago I could have sent them down't pit and actually had more money as a result of having kids. Fuck this century.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

well, come and live here in Western Europe, our social welfare is far more generous than yours, damn capitalists!

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:54 pm
Forum User

baphomet wrote:
well, come and live here in Western Europe, our social welfare is far more generous than yours, damn capitalists!

You'll soon run out of social welfare money, my friend, what with all the immigrants/refugees from Arab/Muslim countries your country is embracing...the clock is ticking backwards...

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:34 pm
Forum User

baphomet wrote:

Kris is British, so no sense in what you've just said. I know that the UK welfare system is excessively generous.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:36 pm
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Historically, yes. Austerity (defined as only spending money on things that benefit those who already have it, I think) has seen an end to that.

Was this a thread about Drug Honkey at one point? I was surprised how good they were. They sound nothing like Honkey, the Melvins album Honkey, or any other bands with drugs in their name.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum User

I could never enjoy those guys, even from their debut on Transcending Obscurity. Could not stand them actually. Boring and one dimensional. Don't know what the fuss is all about, there are better albums out there, folks.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:53 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

wyrd wrote:
baphomet wrote:

Kris is British, so no sense in what you've just said. I know that the UK welfare system is excessively generous.

In Belgium, 530€ for 3 kids per month, and that is only the basic allocation - it can amount to 690+€... I doubt UK is more generous.

Drug Honkey are totally awesome btw.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
wyrd wrote:
baphomet wrote:

In Belgium, 530€ for 3 kids per month, and that is only the basic allocation - it can amount to 690+€... I doubt UK is more generous.

Drug Honkey are totally awesome btw.

I don't think it's so much that the UK welfare system is generous - it actually isn't much more than subsistence-level existence unless you're seriously gaming the system. More that it's all independent of contributions, free at point of use, and (although I think there's now a qualifying period before claims can start) pretty much once you're here, you're entitled to it. Handy if you fancy rocking up from overseas without much in the way of documents, unlike in Europe where you presumably have to at least register and qualify for a national ID card?

Child benefit here is £35 a week maximum, plus the possibility of some tax credits, and it's capped to two children only. No idea how the Belgian system works, but it seems extremely generous by comparison!

And, yes, Drug Honkey are awesome :D

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

endemoniada_88 wrote:
No idea how the Belgian system works, but it seems extremely generous by comparison!

Because Belgium is simply the European country where taxation of labour is the highest, and that is a fact. For that price, we benefit from the support of an effective welfare state.

That is unless you have no kids, isn't sick, crippled, old or retired.... Otherwise, you're fucked and have all reasons to complain. :D

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:31 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I can't get into them... they are just too "tortured" and I hate that... not saying they are bad...

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 am
Forum User

Merchant of Doom wrote:
I can't get into them... they are just too "tortured" and I hate that... not saying they are bad...

They lack real substance and depth, and they repeat their formula ad nauseam. If I want to hear repetitions like that in a blend of metal and industrial, I'd listen to Godflesh, or even better, to Skin Chamber!

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:
No idea how the Belgian system works, but it seems extremely generous by comparison!

Because Belgium is simply the European country where taxation of labour is the highest, and that is a fact. For that price, we benefit from the support of an effective welfare state.

That is unless you have no kids, isn't sick, crippled, old or retired.... Otherwise, you're fucked and have all reasons to complain. :D

We do get the same kinda redistributive issues - if, like me, you're a reasonably well-paid childless white male with no sigificant disabilities, you're entirely fucked for any sort of support whatsoever, and expected to subsidise pretty much every other demographic in the country. Suppose I should be grateful that only works out at about 40% of my annual salary...

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next