Rotten Copper
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Interview with Electric Wizard 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post Interview with Electric Wizard

Read the interview here:

http://www.doom-metal.com/interviews.php?entry=1542.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Post Re: Interview with Electric Wizard

I enjoy the fact that he feels the same way about the army of EW copycat clones as I do! But unfortunately, once you lower the bar for entry, it is hard to raise it again.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

The interview is simply hilarious=)))

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

...in a good or a bad way?!

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:26 am
Forum User

It seems that guy is not into interviews at all. I got the impression he does not appreciate EW fans. Lots of answers are extremely short and does not provide any extra information..

It seems also the fans consensus that dopethrone is their best yet he sees it as crap album..

I don't know I felt he sees him self as untouchable and the rest are bunch of crap (excuse my language)

Thanks Mike for the interview...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

To be honest, when I do interviews I often answer like this... in my head, but then my common sense filter kicks in and I hit the 'be a nice person' switch to complete the task. :rolling:

Dopethrone is a pretty bad sounding album that unfortunately became 'the sound' for the genre. It can be frustrating if you try and make a record, it ends up sounding quite subpar compared to your expectations, then everybody decides it is the greatest thing. I can see that would be frustrating. Personally 'Come My Fanatics' is the one for me. Interesting about his thoughts about 'Black Masses' production. I thought it was so piss weak it pretty much ended my interest in ever listening to them again. If it had been weak and recognised as such by the fanbase I may have felt different but since the response was 'OMG EW IZ HEVI_IST BAND EVA' it kind of killed it...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Forum User

endemoniada_88 wrote:

In a good way, definitely brings a smile=) I like his unfiltered responses (even though i do not sympathize with some of them), it's much better then the usual sugar-coated stuff that is more of an ad then a info outlet. And kudos for your persistence, it does not seam like an easy job to an interview like this=)))

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:17 pm
Staff Member
Staff Member

Yeah, excellent interview. And good on him for not holding back. I hate PR savvy responses. I'm a fan, have been since the start. Sure they've got a gazillion copy cats in their wake, but that should not detract from the fact that they blazed that trail in the first place. If anything it ought to be seen as flattering. People need to get over the fact that lots of people like EW and look forward to their releases. That's not a crime. Granted, like most bands with a long career, the quality control shifts dramatically at times but I like a few of their 'duds'...Black Masses for example. Being popular doesn't mean it's brilliant, but it doesn't mean it's shit either. Practically every band that's got big in any size of genre has been overly criticised and the object of thinly disguised, misplaced jealousy. EW are no different.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:04 am
Senior Staff Member
Senior Staff Member

Out of interest, do you mean since the very start? I used to like the original lineup but I never got anything out of We Live onwards. I saw the newly reformed We Live lineup with Cathedral on my 18th birthday and it was one of the most disappointing shows of my life. I had never really listened to Cathedral at the time and it took me several years after that show to realise that at one point they wrote doom songs. None were evident at the show. At least Grand Magus who opened were good - this was when they only had their debut. I've seen them a few times since but it all got a bit denim and leather for me.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Member
Staff Member

kris wrote:
Out of interest, do you mean since the very start?

Actually, looking at their timeline and basing my answer on vague memories of where I was living when getting a first hearing on a free sampler from somewhere it might have been nearer the release of Come My Fanatics.. late nineties. Didn't realise the debut was 1995! They've been going longer than I thought!

Kris wrote:
I used to like the original lineup but I never got anything out of We Live onwards. I saw the newly reformed We Live lineup with Cathedral on my 18th birthday and it was one of the most disappointing shows of my life. I had never really listened to Cathedral at the time and it took me several years after that show to realise that at one point they wrote doom songs. None were evident at the show. At least Grand Magus who opened were good - this was when they only had their debut. I've seen them a few times since but it all got a bit denim and leather for me.

I would agree that the original line up had all the best stuff. I kind of liked We Live, but it's the weaker of the "newer" stuff imo. The only one I can quite happily live without is Time to Die. That one never clicked with me. I haven't given the new one a proper go yet but from what I've managed to hear so far it appears to be something of a change.

With regard to the other two bands, Cathedral's first record was instrumental in keeping me interested in Doom, such as it was back then, and I kind of like the way they've bumbled somewhat haphazardly along ever since. To me they're part of a rich line of eccentric British acts who infuriate as much as delight. Grand Magus' Monument is a favorite, they lost me after that. I think there was a label change and it all looked a bit contrived from there on in. As you say, Denim and Leather by the numbers... :D

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:13 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

klamerin wrote:
endemoniada_88 wrote:

In a good way, definitely brings a smile=) I like his unfiltered responses (even though i do not sympathize with some of them), it's much better then the usual sugar-coated stuff that is more of an ad then a info outlet. And kudos for your persistence, it does not seam like an easy job to an interview like this=)))

I don't ever find interviewing very easy, to be honest. You always either have to already really know your fanboy stuff, or do a ton of research, to stop it sounding like 20 random generic questions (but still keep it relevant, flowing at a high level, and not the same as the last 1000 interviews someone's had to face), and even after all that you're pretty much at the mercy of what the interviewee wants to give you back. Fortunately, I'm not especially fussed about whether I come out of it looking like some super-perceptive journo on the trail of a unique story, or a rank amateur asking all the wrong things :D
So, Jus is...difficult...but as a reader I do quite like the way he doesn't dress that up in any way, while as an interviewer I'd've hoped for a little more content...!

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Quote:
I suppose that's all leading up to the obvious question: after nearly 25 years in the business, and having achieved widespread acknowledgement as a genuine and lasting influence and inspiration, what's left for you to prove or demonstrate? Or is it enough to go down the same route as many of the '60 and '70s bands: stay contemporary, stay visible, and carry on gigging long past where most of us hope to settle into peaceful retirement?

Gotta pay the rent man….how the fuck can we retire? I don't have a day job.

This very exchange epitomizes in a vivid fashion the gab between the public and the bands: the romantic perspectives, the elaborate thinking and as a response, the factual, tired and grey reality. :D
He's so right here.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

baphomet wrote:
Quote:
I suppose that's all leading up to the obvious question: after nearly 25 years in the business, and having achieved widespread acknowledgement as a genuine and lasting influence and inspiration, what's left for you to prove or demonstrate? Or is it enough to go down the same route as many of the '60 and '70s bands: stay contemporary, stay visible, and carry on gigging long past where most of us hope to settle into peaceful retirement?

Gotta pay the rent man….how the fuck can we retire? I don't have a day job.

This very exchange epitomizes in a vivid fashion the gab between the public and the bands: the romantic perspectives, the elaborate thinking and as a response, the factual, tired and grey reality. :D
He's so right here.

Astutely put, there. I've seen firsthand how unglamorous and pragmatic it can be on the road, but even then it still seems there ought to be some aspect of "living the dream". Perhaps the unadorned truth is that there really isn't, once you've filtered out the youthful enthusiasms and desire to "make it big, someday"...at any rate, that does seems pretty essentially Doomy...

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]